cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Itasca Horizon home style AC

iguana07
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at purchasing a 2007 Horizon with home type AC. Wondering the pros and cons. I know they blow air out the bottom of the coach, but are there any technical issues, like durability, maintenance, power to cool a 40 foot coach, does it interfere with access to engine?
Would appreciate any feed back!
Thank you
Chuck n Sandy
Roxy the Kelpie and Kiki the cat.
6 REPLIES 6

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
I have an 07 Itasca Meridian with basement air and love it. If you go over to the winnebago forums you will find many post concerning the basement air.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have them in our 2004 Alfa fiver. They really worked well for 16 years. Then last September when we got back to Yuma for the winter after 2 days here a compressor locked up. I knew it was going to be a big hassle. We always liked them along with the heat pump. I usually do our own work but passed on this. Went to RV repair joint I have used for years. I asked " do you guys work on basement air"? "No we don't and I think the only place that does is just up the street" which I was also familiar with. Went over there and got a super guy in at a desk. I told him "I think the compressor locked up". "Describe it to me, yep that is the problem". "Here is the situation, bring it down and we have to jack the fiver up to get the units down". "Then I have 3 compressors in the parts house but won't know until we get your unit opened up if any of those will fit". "If one does fit you are looking at about $1600 bucks". So "I say being that some manufactures still use the units, what about a new unit". "Well Coleman (Airexcel) didn't do you any favors as when they discontinued your unit in 2010 they completely re-designed the units and you can't cross over parts from the new to what you have". I wasn't going to put roof airs on because there is no way they would cool this 40 footer. And of course at that time none were available anyway. So he said "if you were non-mobile I'd put a residential AC unit in". I came back and told my wife the situation. We discussed it for about 10 minutes and decided to retire the 40 footer from the road and look for something else for the summer as we are fulltimers. The unit went out Friday PM and on Monday morning called a guy that put units numerous park models, fivers and park trailers that are permanent in the park we used to be in and those were satisfied. He was here in 45 minutes. "We do these all the time". "What is your price, and when can you do it"? "$3900 bucks and we will install it tomorrow morning". Bring it on! They arrived 7:45AM and about 9:45 he called us inside as it was starting to cool down. 2 1/2 ton Carrier unit. We are so glad it happened. We bought a shorter fiver for summer travel and left May 18. After 6 six days heading north, I felt a hernia, so we came back dowm to the lot and opened the 40 footer back up and fired up the AC. Hottest we have seen so far has 117 and we are in here cool as a cucumber. Now for the summer travel unit, we bought another Alfa 31 footer with the same basement air. If it goes out I'll just put 2 roof airs on and be good to go.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
We have it in our 2010 Suncruiser. Works great. We love it. Much quieter than the roof tops. Our model has a rear bathroom across the back. AC is under it, not the bed.
2010 Suncruiser

iguana07
Explorer
Explorer
Yes Basement air would be the correct terminology..when was last year that basement air was installed?
Chuck n Sandy
Roxy the Kelpie and Kiki the cat.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
In my 2003 equivalent, the basement a/c worked very well. My biggest gripe was that it sat right under the bed in the rear, and was quite noisy for night time use.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Assume you are referring to BASEMENT AIR.

A reasonable system, but long out of production.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/