cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Switching from Florida to Arizona or Texas

Kyedog
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for some advice. I have been wintering in Florida for the past 5 years. Florida has gotten so busy and the red tide is never ending. I just really would like a change.
I am looking for an area to spend November to April in. I have been thinking about Corpus Christi area or maybe Yuma. Unfortunately I know nothing about either. I prefer a smaller 55+ park. Also I am open to any other areas along the that are warm and will accommodate an active person.
9 REPLIES 9

moonlightrunner
Explorer
Explorer
I liked Corpus Christi. We stayed on Flour Bluff. Rockport-Fulton/Port Aransas/Aransas Pass/Portland were far too snotty for me (if we were "filthy" street food vendors then surely they wouldn't want our "filthy" money). I think you are a bit late on making reservations for that area. And I do not do 55+ parks at all. It's been over 10 years and I still laugh about the 55+ park near the Base on Flour Bluff that said my 55+ husband could stay but my 22+ daughter and I (48+) could not stay. I would stay again on Flour Bluff at Shady Grove RV Park (we got lucky since we didn't have reservations). Close to the beaches. Close to the "Big City". Small country town atmosphere and walking distance to the public library from the park. I found it interesting that a city bus stopped at the park. I don't like deserts.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Arizona is OK for a week or two...after that it's just brown.

We like the Texas coast. A lot like Florida but without the masses of people.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I live in AZ so I'd rather winter in FL.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
I've spent 2 winters in Corpus Christi but I prefer Rockport an area about 30 miles north of Corpus. Rockport is a very laid back community that I spent 8 winters in. I recommend Salt Water Flats
or perhaps Majestic Oaks, might even want to try Paradise Lagoons. I've stayed in all 3 of those places. Any of those places are only about 10 - 15 minutes from water.
I now spend the winters down in Weslaco, TX around 175 miles further south where the temperature averages 9 - 12 degrees warmer on most days. Problem with down there is you aren't close to water.
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.

dedmiston
Tucson gets a bad rap sometimes, but I think there's a lot to see and do there. I will neither confirm nor deny that I was picked out of the audience to do the Can Can up on stage at the Old Tucson Studios. And the saguaros up there in the parks should be on everybody's bucket list.

Speaking of bucket lists, throw a bunch of money in a bucket and save up for the Tucson Gem, Mineral, and Fossil show. It's indescribable. We came home with treasures aplenty.

I don't know how you feel about Mexican food, but you could Yelp a new place to eat every night and never find a dud.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Kyedog
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks on the Tucson idea. As far as the ocean itโ€™s not a top priority

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
depends how important water (ocean) is to your decision I would think

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that Yuma shouldnโ€™t be on your list.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
We lived year round in Tucson for the last 15 years before recently moving up to the mountains {Payson}. Yuma is a nothing to write home about on a good day and they don't have many. It might be a bit cheaper than some other areas but you get what you pay for.

Most folks find the Tucson area has a great deal more to offer in terms of things to see and do and the weather is about the same as Yuma though a tad cooler. Casa Grande is also a popular choice and gives you decent access to the Phoenix area as well.

As always... Opinions and YMMV.

:C