cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable gas detector

Brownleaf
Explorer
Explorer
Rather than depending on that lp detector down on the side near the floo r, are there not some new Kidde type gas detectors that have a 10 year battery and I would not have to worry about the wiring on that inset one ?Im no t handy electrically and short on funds, i think the one on the floor is dysfunctional- Thanks Doug
13 REPLIES 13

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
There are 10 year co and smoke detecters , but i have never seen one for combustible gas. I do this for a living, as a paid firefighter. Best bet is to replace the one in the camper with a similar one. All the above advice is good.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brownleaf wrote:
There is no green light on on the detector. I have not had a chance to take it in to campingworld for several things it needs just wondered why the portable 10 year multi detectors would not be superior. Doug

I don't think they exist.
Please supply a link to this 10 year detector.

Brownleaf
Explorer
Explorer
There is no green light on on the detector. I have not had a chance to take it in to campingworld for several things it needs just wondered why the portable 10 year multi detectors would not be superior. Doug

dedmiston
C.B. wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
So how are we supposed to find a replacement that will perfectly fit back into the hole in the wall?

Take the make /model number off old one. Find it at camping world, amazon, or e-bay.

Worked for me.

C.B.

Caping World stinks for that (sorry, forum hosts). I've had iffy experience with Amazon too. I'll try ebay next time.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
So how are we supposed to find a replacement that will perfectly fit back into the hole in the wall?

Take the make /model number off old one. Find it at camping world, amazon, or e-bay.

Worked for me.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

dedmiston
Not to go all Andy Rooney here, but (say it in his whiny voice) don't you hate it that the detectors in RVs don't have a standard size and form? Everyone knows the smoke, C0, and LP detectors are going to go bad and most of them are cut into the walls. So how are we supposed to find a replacement that will perfectly fit back into the hole in the wall?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO

Pinching pennies on LP & carbon monoxide detectors is NOT a good idea.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
One with a 10 year battery would not be practicable, Most LP detectors have a lifespan of 5 or 6 years. I have had 2 die just past their 5 year manufacture date.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Most LP detectors will not shut the LP system off. They will only warn you of its presence.

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
My question is why do you think the floor detector is not working? It really only has one purpose thats to shut off the propane. So if your stove is working so is the lp detector.

If you are concerned about carbon monoxide get a good RV rated tester to put on the ceiling.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
Brownleaf wrote:
Rather than depending on that lp detector down on the side near the floo r, are there not some new Kidde type gas detectors that have a 10 year battery and I would not have to worry about the wiring on that inset one ?Im no t handy electrically and short on funds, i think the one on the floor is dysfunctional- Thanks Doug

Most LP gas detectors draw too much power to run off a small 10 year battery like some of the new sealed smoke/CO detectors -- the ones typically used in an RV use one or two amp-hours a day. Not too bad when you power it from a 100 amp-hour house battery.

But one amp-hour @ 12V is 12 Watt-hours. A single AA sized lithium battery will provide a few Watt-Hours of power, so you'd need 4 of those batteries to power the LP detector for a single day.

You can buy a replacement for that floor mounted one for $50 or so, if you're not able to replace it yourself, it's a quick job for a repair shop or handyman. But whatever you do, put the replacement low to the floor since LP gas is heavier than air.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good luck with Google.

I don't think you will find a battery operated (9 volt or double battery) LP gas detector besides the 12v hard wired models.

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
Google is your friend.....
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)