cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

With regard to carrying a TC, what does these #'s tell me?

RKW
Explorer
Explorer
FRONT GAWR = 5200 lbs.

REAR GAWR = 6100 lbs.
Ryan

• 2015 Ford F250

• 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8280 WS

• Dual Honda EU2000i Generators

The wages of sin are death; but after they're done taking out taxes, it's just a tired feeling.
9 REPLIES 9

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
RKW wrote:

With regard to carrying a TC, what does these #'s tell me?

FRONT GAWR = 5200 lbs.
REAR GAWR = 6100 lbs.

When I was analyzing my TC/ truck I NEVER exceed either of those numbers.

I was over my GVWR by about 1,400# and 75# over any known wheel weight rating (for steel factory rims) but never over tire load index. This was for a fully loaded camper with full water,LP, food, provisions and about 500# of other stuff in the truck (not part of normal camper compliment.) It was the most that I would ever carry and with minor suspension mods, the combo handled great.

RKW wrote:
Should I weigh with full tank of diesel and the tailgate removed?

Yes! And also add items that would be typical in/on the truck that is not part of the TC compliment such as passenger(s) etc...
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
When you have + - 3000 lb "cargo" capacity on rear axle, you don't have much to play with camper choices.
You are limited to 8-9' long campers and light ones.
Those have COG several inches in front of rear axle, so taking weigh off front is not going to be the issue.
Good luck finding what will work.

EYEMLOST
Explorer
Explorer
RKW wrote:
FRONT GAWR = 5200 lbs.

REAR GAWR = 6100 lbs.

When you weigh your set up; pay attention to the front GAWR.

Depending on your truck/camper/and stuff; that number could/can go down via weight being shifted to the back.

A lighter frontend can/will affect steering and control.
1998 FWC Grandby
1994 Ford Bronco 5.0 XL 4X4
Sky's ORD 6" Lift / Sterling 10.25 Dually 5.13 Gear Detroit Locker / '99.5 Front F-350 Leaf Springs at Rear / HMMWVtires

RKW
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I'll find a scale.
Ryan

• 2015 Ford F250

The wages of sin are death; but after they're done taking out taxes, it's just a tired feeling.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
That question tells me this will be 3-6 pages of weight cops vs the mechanically inclined and end up like every other of the 6,789 threads just like it.

You can sit back and watch from the peanut gallery or you can glean a bunch of info from the aforementioned other threads and form your own opinion.

But you got 19 years on this forum, so are you out fishing tonight or what?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bedlam
The RAWR of 6100 lbs is due to the rims and tires Ford put on the F250. The rear axle they use is a Visteon Sterling 9.75" rated at 9750 lbs. The spring pack depends on options and generally somewhere between 6000-7500 lbs.

The rear of your truck will be about 3000 lbs empty, so you have about 3000 lbs left in stock configuration for a camper. There are things you can do to increase the weakest components, but some people will argue that the door sticker with a particular configuration is fixed regardless of post changes. That decision is up to you and how much you want to modify.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
That would be best along with people etc that youโ€™ll have with you.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

RKW
Explorer
Explorer
Should I weigh with full tank of diesel and the tailgate removed?
Ryan

• 2015 Ford F250

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nothing by themselves. You need to go to a scale and find out how much the truck weighs and how much is on each axle already.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member