cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

USB head question

Jbird
Explorer
Explorer
I am wanting to splice a new usb head to a piece of equipment (a AT&T MObley). The original head is toast. Are all USB heads the same?
36' Mobile Suites,Chev 3500 Duramax
12 REPLIES 12

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Tom wrote:
If you read through that thread it says that power can not be applied using the micro USB socket. You need an adapter like the one 1492 posted.

Yes sir. I did not attempt to give advice on power supplies. I gave advice on the question of 'are all USB connections ..........' The original post never asked for power supply information. My reply had a picture of a tether for someone else who did not know of the USB port on the Mobley.
I have a Mobley and I have the USB power supply with female OBD II to 12 volt barrel connector, this allows me to also use a 12 volt wall brick or my cigarette lighter cord with barrel connector.

A better response on my end would have explained the USB pin out. I chose not to put the time into that subject on one of these threads.
There are far too many experts here for myself.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Still don't know if the mentioned cable is what the OP was referring?

IMO, it's not worth the time to splice or more appropriately solder a replacement male USB connector when a cable is already available.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Move the SIM to an AT&T router and be done with any Mobley issues entirely. I wish you had post a day earlier, I just threw my Mobley and power adapter in the trash. My SIM has been in a Netgear router for years.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
I think the OP wants to avoid a new adapter just because the plug is worn out. I would think he could look in a drawer for any vintage USB cable and cut it and splice it onto his old one. Cover it with a little shrink wrap and it'll be good to go. This link has a nice explanation of the different USB types.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Heisenberg wrote:
There is a door and behind it is USB micro on my Mobley. I have never used it.

https://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1894920-ZTE-Mobley-USB-Tethering-ASUS-Router-and-probabl...
If you read through that thread it says that power can not be applied using the micro USB socket. You need an adapter like the one 1492 posted.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wish I had bought two instead of one of those Mobley Adapter cables for USB and/or 120 AC use. If still available I may buy the one in Moderator's photo. Just ordered it. Thanks

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
There is a door and behind it is USB micro on my Mobley. I have never used it.

https://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1894920-ZTE-Mobley-USB-Tethering-ASUS-Router-and-probabl...
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Are you referring to this cable?

Here on Amazon.com: https://amzn.to/3i7nouO.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
As far as I know the Mobley is meant to plug into an OBDB2 connector which is not USB. Are you talking about an adapter cable?
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

Jbird
Explorer
Explorer
My Mobley usb connector, at the head, is broken, wires torn out. I want to get a new usb head head and replace old by connecting wires from new head to usb wires from Mobley adapter
36' Mobile Suites,Chev 3500 Duramax

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Mobley but not a clear understanding on your project effort. My USB receptacle is still okay after many years of seldom use.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
No, google USB types.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob