cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check you cooling stack!

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
So I felt my 2006 LBZ was getting a little more warm then it should while towing my trailer. Nothing big. It would get up to 225 in 90 degree weather and the fan would come on and take the temp right down again to 205 or so until the next hill.

So I told my mechanic to take the cooling stack apart and give it a gander. Now mind you, this is a 2 wheel drive truck that maybe has been on a dirt road twice in it's 130,000 mile life.

I went to pick it up today and ask him what he found. He said "I could not believe it." There was tons of dirt and dragon flies and even a bag!!:E But he said most of the trash was sand! Sand! I said what? This truck has never been around sand in it's life?? He said I don't know how it got there but there was tons and tons of sand stuck and packed in the fins. He said it took many, many wash and flush jobs to wash the sand out of the tube fins. He said it's all clean now and it will for sure run cooler.

Bottom line. Check your cooling stack! You might be shocked at what you find. Even if it's a road queen like my truck is.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln
10 REPLIES 10

Bigfoot affair wrote:
BobsYourUncle wrote:
I have the same LBZ and have overheating problems too.

I suspected a plugged rad, so I had it removed and at that time had the crud blown / hosed out of the rest of the stuff in front of the rad. A multitude of bugs and other debris came out.

I didn't have the bucks for a new rad, so I put in a known good used one for now.

Everything is clean in there but my LBZ still gets dangerously hot hauling my TT up a long grade.

My next fix is a brand new rad to see if that helps. Can't believe the money they charge for stuff like this.

Just a thought, have you replaced the thermostats? One or both may be failing.

Yes, and the water pump too.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

BobsYourUncle wrote:

I suspected a plugged rad, so I had it removed and at that time had the crud blown / hosed out of the rest of the stuff in front of the rad. A multitude of bugs and other debris came out.

I didn't have the bucks for a new rad, so I put in a known good used one for now.

Everything is clean in there but my LBZ still gets dangerously hot hauling my TT up a long grade.

My next fix is a brand new rad to see if that helps. Can't believe the money they charge for stuff like this.

Just a thought, have you replaced the thermostats? One or both may be failing.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:

That's why it's important to check the cooling stack. IOW's the radiator is the last in the stack. It may be spotless but if the intercooler is plugged up with sand (like mine was) the radiator can't get cool air to it to do its job.

The whole cooling stack needs to be inspected, not just the radiator. And I do mean inspected it. A lot of people just glance at it and say, ya, looks good. You really should shine a light through the front side row after row to give it a good inspection.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I assume you are talking about the radiator?

Radiator, yes but it is part of a stack. Most vehicles will have a AC condenser in the same air flow. Others will add oil and power steering coolers. Few have air trans coolers. Diesel likely adds a intercooler.
The more stuff in the stack, the harder it is to clean, and the more important it is.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I assume you are talking about the radiator?

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
Nice tip. We have only owned our Class C for 3 years and I've not done this...but I have done this to our cars. And the C spent time this year on dirt/gravel roads down in Texas.

Will be checking this out !!!!!!!!

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know if it really helps, but after I air up my tires for a trip I replace the air chuck with a blow nozzle and MT the compressor tank around the fan to blow out what I can.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Several time a year I get the pressure washer out and clean the radiator fins.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^True dat!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold