cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

solar question

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you who have solar panels have found that it's not a necessity. I'm in the market for a new unit and since I'll be boon docking spending a lot of time in the shade, Im on the fence about wether to get it.
36 REPLIES 36

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
moonlightrunner,

What charge controller are you planning on using?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

moonlightrunner
Explorer
Explorer
Recently bought a used truck camper. It will have solar panels on it. Batteries are going to cost more than the panels. I operate on the "thumb rule" of 100W of solar panel for each 100AH of usable battery (or 200ah rated). Just going with Harbor Freight's new 100W panel. Hard to beat the price. $100 less 20% employee discount. The first panel was bought on sale PLUS the 20% discount which brought it down to about $70 or so (can't remember exactly). Unfortunately they only had one in the store and the sale ended before anymore were shipped in. For my use, the solar panels will be powering a small AC refrigerator during the day (on a timer so it shuts down at night). And keeping the batteries up. The truck/camper combo will be a daily driver and used for work shifts that end at midnight (or later) and the next shift is at 7:30AM or when the roads are too icy to risk driving in the wee hours. So the truck/camper will be under parking lot lights most nights. Plus it is to haul the dog around during the day so she's not left home alone. Solar battery chargers (the most accurate description of "solar" power systems) are not a good fit for everyone, despite what many proponents claim. The truck will eventually have 4 (6V 215AH GC-2) batteries plus 4 (100Watt) solar panels. For the stated use, solar will likely be a good fit.

https://www.harborfreight.com/100-watt-monocrystalline-solar-panel-57325.html

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
I have about 100' of 4ga cable for my solar panels so I can too chase the sun but stay in the shade. Works for me.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I also have portable panels because of the places I camp mostly, which are mostly covered with tree's...I hardly ever camp in the sun..It works and gives me something to do when I am not getting firewood...Chasin' the sun..lol

Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Solar! I have one 100W panel on the roof and (now) two 100W panels in a suitcase I made myself. It works for me very well. I don't use any AC in the TC.

I used this article for my DIY suitcase with some modifications. For example, I attached the hinges so the front part of the panels face each other when close for more protection. And I set up the wiring differently. The price is right.

https://www.adventurousway.com/blog/diy-portable-solar-panel

2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™ll throw in my two cents.

When we camped in the wet side of the Pacific Northwest in Winter in the forest in the rain our solar did nothing. However, just about everywhere else it has allowed us to not use our generator except for ac when boondockking. We have 385 watts on the roof and Iโ€™m glad we do.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 21' Class B and have portable solar panels; a 120 watt suitcase and another 60 watt I just got. I have some extension cables for them so I can park in the shade and put the panels in the sun. It works well.

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
OP is still here ,reading each and every reply!

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
cost: when I did my install in 2015 (or there about) 200 watts of solar with hardware and controller ran me $345. I did the install myself

Thankfully the cost of solar has gone down considerably.

My first 100W panel in late 90's early 00's cost ~$700! Not to many years before I bought solar was costing ~$10 a watt. I don't recall the cost of the controller. I did the complete install myself.

As I recall from those early years was that during the summer months while parked in full sun my single 100Ah FLA was fully recharged at least by Noon or 2PM each day.

At the time a EF1000is Yamaha inverter generator cost ~$800. While I would eventually end up getting a Yamaha generator (for the winter months) I have no regrets on investing in solar.

Obviously everybody's MMV.

- Mark0.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
cost: when I did my install in 2015 (or there about) 200 watts of solar with hardware and controller ran me $345. I did the install myself
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Well, as to your modification to point โ€˜Bโ€™, itโ€™s these โ€˜early adoptersโ€™ with their gained cumulative total number of years (if not even decades!) of actual hands-on usage that can also state their preference as โ€˜experienced basedโ€™โ€ฆ.

One could argue that some folks who have solar may not see an appreciable benefit - fair enough on that, but my best guess is that those of us who do benefit are folks that tend not to regularly camp under trees, thus Iโ€™m drawn to conclude the disparity of which you point too might best be attributed to either preferences in camping styles, too few of panels (or possibly a strictly series panel configuration?), or insufficient battery storage to carry them over to the next harvest opportunity - JMHOโ€ฆFWIW, a system can be easily designed (and usually are) to tolerate a limited amount of shading, and what often happens is a reduction (if not the eliminationโ€ฆ) of shading during those peak harvest hoursโ€ฆEither way, more good info for the โ€œto go solar, or not to go solarโ€ grist mill ๐Ÿ™‚

3 tons

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
3 tons wrote:
What mostly typical per enquiries of this nature is:

A) Non-adopters who justify (often, preference) why they havenโ€™t adopted a certain technologyโ€ฆ
B) Early Adoptersโ€ฆwho justify (often, preference) why they have adopted a certain technology.

3 tons

Your argument runs both ways.

I've been with and without solar. It's still very much how you use the RV if it makes sense to get solar.

OP: Stick to the facts. Run the numbers and let that guide your choice.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Solar is no doubt part of a multi-pronged solution for successfully RVing off the grid, we use all our rig's amenities as if plugged into shorepower when off the grid, as such generator use is key to being 100% self-contained. Having no constraints while RVing off the grid makes every where you park a destination, never too hot or too cold, whether parked in direct sun or totally shaded, or simply have 12 volt reserves that are waning, press a single button and all is well.

For us sitting in the dark using the sparsest amount of 12 volt power to get by when we just payed dearly for fuel to go RVing certainly doesn't endear us to this endeavor. We have monitors for both AC and DC voltages, actual current draws, and consumption rates among other details, go to know but again no reason for alarm when you have the ability to power your entire RV and replenish your 12 volt reserves by pressing a single switch from the interior of rig.

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO: Frankly it comes down to personal choice and use patterns.

If we consider ONLY what might come with a RV from the factory, the furnace, fantastic fan and water pump are potentially the largest power draws.

How much power you use and for how long you use it dictates how much power storage you need in the camper.

As a example, lets say that you don't ever use ANY of the 3 devices above and only use the LED lights, sensors and fridge. (all of which use very little 12VDC power) A single type #24 deep cycle battery could be more than enough energy storage for WEEKS of dry camping.

However, in the real world most of us make use of ALL the systems that our RV's come with. Many of us like to charge/power our cell phones, tablets, laptops and other devices as well as all the systems that come with a new RV.

From personal experience in 40F weather 100AH of battery is barely enough for 2 nights of camping in a RV with my personal energy use pattern.

If I wish to dry camp for longer periods of time then the 100Ah provides I have a few choices to make. Ether I have to change my use pattern to use less energy or add additional energy storage and/or have a method of recharging the RV battery(s).

The recharging methods that many RV owners use are: solar, generator and rewire truck+camper to utilize trucks alternator to recharge the RV battery(s).

In a RV: power, water, propane and holding tanks are limited resources. How each of us decide to manage those resources is a personal decision.

- Mark0.