Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: solar question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> solar question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
daily double

ketchum ok.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/21 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many of you who have solar panels have found that it's not a necessity. I'm in the market for a new unit and since I'll be boon docking spending a lot of time in the shade, Im on the fence about wether to get it.

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/21 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It really depends on your personal use and expectations.

For us, solar is necessary to facilitate our desired lifestyle. If you're just using your rig on weekends, and have minimal electrical requirements, then you may not need it.

Our solar panels are on a raised rack that shades our entire roof and our awnings shade our sides.

2021 Ram 5500 Limited 84CA Cummins 4x4 w/ flatbed
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad)
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh

Old Days

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/21 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put solar on 3 campers would not go without it. Even in shade you get some power.

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/21 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Solar panels produce in the shade, just not as much. Anything I can do to cut down or eliminate generator use…noise, maintenance, lugging in and out of the truck bed etc…I’ve done and would do it again.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

HMS Beagle

Napa, California

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/21 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

10 years ago I'd have said you need to trade off the cost vs. benefit for your chosen mission. But solar is so inexpensive now, I can think of no good argument to leave it off. About one tank of fuel per 100 watts is the cost, and it is about as maintenance free as anything on an RV.

Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/21 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't live without it.
6 campers and 6 solar installs.
I can probably go a day and a night without it then drive and recharge batteries, but otherwise I wont have enough battery.
A lot depends on how much power you use. With normal use and boondocking you really can't go without a way to recharge the batteries.
Solar will work in the shade parked under a thick canopy of east coast mountain trees, though the charge will take longer, I still get all the charge I need during the day...

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/21 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't imagine camping without solar.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/21 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve never needed solar. I don’t think generators are interchangeable with solar for most people. Generators produce a lot of power quickly, solar can’t do that. I’ve thought about it to keep the batteries topped off in storage although I could simply hook up a Battery Tender for that.

What I did instead is reduce the amount of power that I use by going LED for all bulbs. I don’t spend a lot of time in one place and regularly drive with the TC on. I find that usually that means my batteries stay topped off.

I have camped a few places that are heavy with trees and solar won’t do hardly anything in those cases.

There is a lot of information out there on how to determine how much power you expect to use as well as adding batteries that can be drawn down more safely which is in affect adding capacity.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/21 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those who camp with hook-ups, I can see little need for Solar…We camp 95% divorced from the grid so 440w of Solar (with 200a/hrs of Lithium) is nearly our exclusive power source…After being liberated by solar (meaning exploiting FREE Energy!!) I consider a generator akin to taxes, mostly a PITA and can only justify using ours during extended air conditioner usage, say of more than about 2hrs or so, otherwise we run the microwave, Keurig coffee pot, and conditioner (say for roadside stops) strictly via the battery concurrent with solar…VERY Glad I ‘cut the cord’!!

3 tons

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/21 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

After being liberated by solar (meaning exploiting FREE Energy!!)

It’s not quite free if you had to pay to buy the system. [emoticon] But I agree it could be liberating if you are out in the wide open spaces with open skies and have a use for all of that power.

It’s probably years before a payoff for most people. Well, it’s years or decades for most solar systems.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> solar question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.