cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dog's Sleeping Quarters

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 4# Pom and a fat 8# Chihuahua. Although we place their beds in the main cabin, they prefer to sleep on the floor besides our Island bed. It makes it difficult to have to tip toe over them during the night to go to the bathroom. So today I decided to cut access holes and place their beds underneath our bed. We'll be camping in the near future and hopefully they'll enjoy their new sleeping quarters.

BTW, It was with great difficulty lifting the mattress to gain access under the bed so I installed a 12v power lift actuator. Now with a flip of a switch it raises or lower the mattress.

7 REPLIES 7

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Good post. Interesting.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Nice!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice work. If the dogs don't like it, at least you have better access to the storage area.

You might take the dogs to hang out in the camper for a few hours here and there before the trip. Put their beds in the cubby and give them a treat in there. It could help them get accustomed to it before your trip.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Dogs will learn to sleep where you want them to sleep if you are consistent in training them to sleep in that location. Old dogs can and do learn new tricks.

We have a dog bed in an unused fireplace in our house which is the preferred sleeping location for many of our dogs. Nell sleeps under the dinette in our trailer. We had a greyhound when we had our first trailer; that trailer had a jackknife couch which was the greyhoundโ€™s bed. Our second trailer didnโ€™t have a couch and we taught the greyhound under the dinette was his bed so he was out of the way at night.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Don't believe it will work. They will feel too separated from the pack. A cat would like it.

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
I tried something similar for our Cavalier. He didn't like it because he couldn't see us. After standing on his hind legs, whimpering for 20 minutes, he ended up on our bed. Slept like a baby then.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
don't count on it. dogs are creatures of habit. Maggie the Wonder Beagle usually sleeps under the part of the bed that extends past the platform she sometimes will sleep right next to my side of the bed. when that happens a slight nudge on her bottom with my foot gets her to move.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle