cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off grid for first time, need some guidance !

OBX-GL
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. Haven't posted in a while. I have missed tapping into all the available wisdom here.
With Covid and boarders closed, site availably has sucked around me.

We managed two sites consecutively at a great campground. Problem is one of them has no hook up. DW says she only needs the propane fridge/ its DC power circuit. i'm converting to LED bulbs throughout, likely only a bulb two for a few hours each day. i guess there will be the DC holding tank pump draw for a few seconds now and then. Am i missing any other loads ?

Question - i have currently only one new deep cell group 24 marine battery, (1000 crank amps 130 reserve capacity) no other useful info on the label. How far will this thing last with my minimal loads ?

I am willing to buy solar, and/or more bigger batteries. However, will likely never use them again.
Milwaukee tool offers an expensive power station that i could justify for use at work. However, it only provides 750whr before it also needs charging.

If me. what would y'all do for a weeks time till hook up is available ?

Thx in advance !

Greg
2012 Heartland North Trail Caliber Edition 26RLSS
2022 RAM 2500 6.4L Crew 4x4 Long box 4.10 tow package
2012 Ram 2500 5.7L Crew 4x4 Long box 3.72 tow-package
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L QC 4x4 long box 3.92 tow-package
45 REPLIES 45

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
No. You just have to ensure that you hook the battery charger positive cable to one battery, and the battery charger negative cable to the other battery. AND, be sure that you don't hook to the battery terminals that the connecting cable is hooked to. That is important.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Dukhnter8
Explorer
Explorer
So for the people who switch from the one 12v battery to two 6v do you need a different charger for the 6v?

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
OBX-GL wrote:
Conclusion, for anyone this little experiment may benefit.
End of day five, fridge and lights still going on my one little battery.

Realizing battery was low enough to not support any larger loads, i put the shore power back on. We will be using the pump minimally camping, will be interesting its 4-5amp impact. May report back on that.

Basically I would do solar upgrades should we continue using non serviced sites, however thats not currently our plans. The experiment and your help gave peace of mind till we get on our typical site. Father inlaw will loan me a battery, and so will my mechanic. Three batteries should get us through 6 days, i hope.
Thx again all !

Cool, let us know how you fared.

OBX-GL
Explorer
Explorer
Conclusion, for anyone this little experiment may benefit.
End of day five, fridge and lights still going on my one little battery.

Realizing battery was low enough to not support any larger loads, i put the shore power back on. We will be using the pump minimally camping, will be interesting its 4-5amp impact. May report back on that.

Basically I would do solar upgrades should we continue using non serviced sites, however thats not currently our plans. The experiment and your help gave peace of mind till we get on our typical site. Father inlaw will loan me a battery, and so will my mechanic. Three batteries should get us through 6 days, i hope.
Thx again all !

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
OBX-GL wrote:
Further update

Fridge still going, into day five. New LED lights now very bright.

Note. Tried the water pump, it worked, but sounded laboured. Battery showing its lowish to larger draw ?

Anybody know the draw/current of the pump, so i can calculate impact on a charged battery ?

Thx !
Other internet searching says 4-5 amps but laboring it will likely pull more.

OBX-GL
Explorer
Explorer
Further update

Fridge still going, into day five. New LED lights now very bright.

Note. Tried the water pump, it worked, but sounded laboured. Battery showing its lowish to larger draw ?

Anybody know the draw/current of the pump, so i can calculate impact on a charged battery ?

Thx !

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like you have a good solution for a single trip. Make sure your battery is fully charged before you leave and check your usage. After this trip, you may find dry camping is not a bad thing and you can add solar, a larger battery(s), etc.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
OBX-GL wrote:
philh wrote:
replace the stock wfco battery charger with one that works properly!

Not following you. The battery charges fine ...

he is refuring to the quality and the charge profiles of the WFCO. they kill batteries over time and are not optimal for charging. they work and if your not spending money on good batteries dont worry about it but if your going to drop bucks on quality batteries a better converter will increase the life you get from them.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
CavemanCharlie wrote:

36 HOURS is all you could get ???? WITH 2 6v GCs batteries ???

You have a problem somwhere. Something is pulling down your batteries.

Not to get off topic for the OP, but to be fair, they didn't die, but rather looked weak on the lie-o-meter inside the camper and the genny running was only for a few minutes a couple times.
That said, I don't disagree, as the camper was sitting at home, unused with nothing but the fridge (on LP) and alarms powered up and I left it unplugged for about 2.5 days and it was dead.

I do believe the WFCO may not be charging properly. Quick dvom test showed 13.5-6V when the batteries when first plugged in and batteries were low.
Unfortunately, delving into marginal issues is not on the docket for a while with everything else goin on.
Know what, I am going to do a quick test. Tonight I'll try to make time to top the batteries off good n full with another known good charger, light the fridge back up and see how long they last
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind everyone loves to spend your money. 4 gc2 batteries and 400watts of solar and a 2000 watt inverter. Even though you don’t need it and probably never will. Use what you have and you will be fine.

OBX-GL
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:

Not following you. The battery charges fine ...

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
Take the Honda and on eco it is quiet. Squeeze out 2 hours from 11am till 1pm. The two extra batteries will be for emergency.)

OBX-GL
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. Some updates.
i have implemented many of the suggestions given here.
Thank you all !

Firstly. i did start an experiment in the driveway.

So far my (charged in the fall fully, and winterd disconnected in the house) battery has run the fridge and very very minimal use incandescent lights only, for just over 96hrs/4days and is still going. My gut tells me we are nearing the end, but i'll update on that. Yes, it would have been best to know the battery was fully topped up when the test began, victim of some fluid decision making.

An additional draw would be extensive firing of my hot water tank igniter. I've been trying to get it going to no avail. i'm starting another help thread on that.

Father inlaw is lending me an extra battery and so is my mechanic. I'm hoping three batteries will cover me for six days while i wait to get on my serviced site.

Just finished swapping out lights to LED, should help i hope.

Yes no radios and generator allowed in campground. Im taking the generator anyway, encase i can get away with it.

I was eager to jump on the solar option, kinda wanted to learn that game.

Everyones contribution got me this far in my decisions. i still have two weeks till i leave to change my mind.

Thanks again for all your thoughts, everyone.