Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow vehicle tire size not to spec
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Tow vehicle tire size not to spec

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/21 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The difference is too small to be significant, choosing either size tire will yield practically the same results whether towing or MPG wise. Every truck we have owned in the past I have always went up a tire size when replacing stock tires, never noticed much of a change in towing dynamics, minor as they are overall.

davehultin

Fargo, ND 58104

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/21 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's a story behind the story, of course. The short version is that we're starting to sense some mechanical issues might be sneaking their way into our tow vehicle, so it might be time to replace it. But we're not ready to replace it ... yet. But we might be ready to replace it in three months.

Then there's the whole thing with new and used vehicle inventory being so incredibly low. And the price of tires being so incredibly high. Pretty soon we'll be using commas in the price of a set of four tires. [emoticon]

So for now I was able to locate a set of take-off tires for about half the price and will kick the can about three months down the road.

Dave Hultin
----------
2010 Ford Expedition, 2018 Gulfstream Cabin Cruiser 28BBS

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/21 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“ And the price of tires being so incredibly high. Pretty soon we'll be using commas in the price of a set of four tires. [emoticon]

So for now I was able to locate a set of take-off tires for about half the price and will kick the can about three months down the road”

Shoot, be glad you got the vehicle you do , then.
I haven’t shoed a truck for a while that the cost of 4 tires didn’t have a comma in it.
And the cars would too if not being frugal.

Also takeoff tires are a great option. I do that whenever I can.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/21 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those that can't figure out the metric system, going from a 255 to a 265 is 10 millimeters, not 10 centimeters. Therefore the difference in width is 10MM or slightly less than 1/2 inch, not worth a mouse fart worth of worry.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/21 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

davehultin wrote:

I'm looking to replace the tires on my tow vehicle (2010 Ford Expedition) and I was surprised to learn that my existing tires do NOT match the tires specs on the vehicle placard. I don't know when or why that happenend. Anyways...

Placard specs are P255/70R18
Existing tires are P265/70R18

So my existing tires are 10 cm wider than what's specified. Is that a bad thing? Or just a "thing?"

My Expedition is no champ for gas mileage, but does that extra 10 cm per tire take the mileage down significantly?

In your opinion, should I return to specs when I replace the tires, or is there a compelling reason to stick with the wider tires?

I would put them back to factory size as right now they are taller , but it is only 10 mm not 10 cm so its not a huge deal but your spedomiter will be out a little and you milage wont be accurate. I wouldnt go out of my way to do it but next time you change tires out .. as for fuel milage I have had some cars that didnt care about bigger tires and some that just hated them and gas milage dropped significantly, that was a little more of a change then what you had on an older f150 but I had to go back to the factory size on that one it was so bad.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/21 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ Some of that is not necessarily true.
Unless a person gps the speed against the speedo, it’s no guarantee that the stock tires weren’t a little off.
Many trucks I’ve had, actually corrected a slight speedo error with a slightly larger tire.
Too much worry about a little different tire size that is unfounded iMO

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/21 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remember where we are.This is an RV forum, where most of us want to get the most performance out of their TVs.
I think their are other forums that deal with MPGs, speedometer error, etc.
It is a fact that taller tires WILL take away from towing performance. You can quibble about how much if you want. But it will not change the fact.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
Full Body Paint, 3, 8K axles, Disc Brakes
17.5 LRH commercial tires
1380 watts solar,
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/21 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Yet taller tires an provide other advantages for towing or hauling, so like most things, “ok” is a pretty broad range and “optimum” is generally a pretty narrow range.

But to the OPs question, the 2 sizes he’s talking about will be realistically indiscernible to all but the most overtly literal rvnet members!

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/21 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The real question on a towing forum is do the P rated tires work for your trailering experience? What weight of trailer are you towing? How do you use your expedition? Should you be considering an LT tire? You might want to upgrade to a better tire for towing if you are posting this on a towing forum vs an expedition forum...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Tow vehicle tire size not to spec
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.