cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2011 F250 Steering

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 F250 with about 55,000 miles on it. When making a sharp turn it doesn't want to center the steering by itself. I have to take it all the way back to center myself. It steers very easy and really I would say too easy. Is this the way they all work or does the alignment need to be changed?
14 REPLIES 14

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't think it's worn out after only 55,000 miles but anything is possible. I don't want to even think about a $2,000 repair bill. I'll get under it and try to see if anything is loose.

It does have a stabilizer and I have bought a new one that I'll install soon.

BILDER
Explorer
Explorer
Does it have a steering stabilizer?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Although binding bjs are more of a new/improper install issue. It’s possible you have a dry one that has not worn loose and exhibiting other issues yet.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
lenr wrote:
You've got a worn suspension part for sure or a binding U joint if 4 wheel drive. Even with Ford spec of not a lot of caster it will center if everything is healthy. Son's 2012 350 6.2 started not returning at 200,000. $2000 later it works great. Take it to a reliable alignment shop that you trust to do repair. (I don't trust tire store alignment, generally.)

He has free spin hubs unless he drives around with them locked in all summer, so a binding u joint would be static and it part of the equation.
But if it was locked in, a bind would first be felt as notchy return to center and after that proliferated for a while it would get loose from wear and be clicking and clunking but not binding the steering up.
You do bring up a good point. It is possible but not probable that the auto locking feature is stuck engaged. Although I’ve never seen it happen in ALOT of HD super duty windshield time from 1999 model to 2015 model.
If everything else is smooth, straight, no funny tire wear and competent, my money is still on steering box or sticky ball joint(s). Truck is 11 years old now.
OP, easy test.
Disconnect drag link and see if bjs are binding up.

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
You've got a worn suspension part for sure or a binding U joint if 4 wheel drive. Even with Ford spec of not a lot of caster it will center if everything is healthy. Son's 2012 350 6.2 started not returning at 200,000. $2000 later it works great. Take it to a reliable alignment shop that you trust to do repair. (I don't trust tire store alignment, generally.)

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
danrclem wrote:
It tracks very good and stays straight when I let go of the steering wheel. I'll have the alignment checked and go from there.

Has anybody else had a problem like this with their Super Duty?

2WD or 4WD ?

It's a 4WD and it has the snow plow package with the heavy front springs. Everything seems to work fine except I have to bring it back to center myself.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If it doesn’t wander and tracks well, not likely a Caster issue.
Sounds more like sticky shuttle valve in steering box maybe.
But hard to diagnose on the internet….

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
danrclem wrote:
It tracks very good and stays straight when I let go of the steering wheel. I'll have the alignment checked and go from there.

2WD or 4WD ?

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
theoldwizard1 wrote:
The caster angle needs to be increased. If it is within spec, it is acceptable to be increased more for better centering without causing tire wear.

This!

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The caster angle needs to be increased. If it is within spec, it is acceptable to be increased more for better centering without causing tire wear.

Gooma
Explorer
Explorer
YES you at least need an alignment. Probably a worn or bent part. Get it done soon, before it fails completely and leaves you stranded somewhere, or worse.

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
I really don't think it needs a rebuild but I could be wrong. I've had it for a few years but haven't put very many miles on it. It drove the same way when I bought it. I forgot to mention that it has a 6.2.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just spent over $2K on getting my 2012 F350 4WD 6.7L front end rebuilt, hope that does not happen to you.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper