cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campground Rates

Beer_Belly
Explorer
Explorer
My Wife and I usually start and end the camping season with a weekend at a local CG (Cozy Hills in Litchfield CT), and when we called to make a reservation at the start of the season, we were told "All weekends are a 3 day minimum". I can't see checking in on Friday afternoon, checking out on Sunday (because of work on Monday), and paying for a 3rd day. So, fast forward to end of season, we called and the 3 day weekend is gone and rates for full hookups are less than W/E ?, I questioned the rates and was told "The pricing is being driven up by availabilty, much like booking on an airline", either way, I'm not willing to spend $94 per night for W/E, nor $85 for full hookups on a basic CG....it's not a camping resort by any means. Has anyone else run into ridiculous pricing or gimmics.
*Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"
33 REPLIES 33

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, I've heard of both of these. The "fare bucket" pricing is kinda new to me, although I'm not entirely sure that's the correct term for pricing. I've seen some sites that offer me one price, and my friend (sitting right next to me on his phone) sees another price for the same site. It's apparently some algorithm that determines how many times I've come back to that page, or how much time I've spend on that page or something else and adjusts the price because I might be more likely to book with that site. I'm not sure how it works, but I've seen the effects of it.

The minimum stay issue is another one. On one hand I get it, on the other hand it can be ridiculous at times. We just got back from a trip to Vermont and I realized that I didn't book an overnight stop on the way home. Called a bunch of places that were booked. Found another place online that had a vacancy for Saturday night (and ONLY Saturday night), but they had a minimum 2 night reservation policy so I couldn't book it online. That's ridiculous to me, because there was no available site anywhere in the park for Sunday night (so I couldn't stay 2 nights even if I wanted to!!!). Of course it was after hours so there was nobody in the office to call and ask for a variance. I eventually found a site that I could book online for the night though.

I'm hoping this is a fad, while things are hot in the RV market. I realize that there aren't many new campgrounds and there is a high demand right now for RV sites. I hope to get back to a point in time where its not this crazy and I don't have to book months or years in advance to get sites. We love fall camping in the mid-Atlantic, but weekends can be hit or miss. An October weekend could be 30 degrees or 90 degrees. It might be sunny or it might be a deluge of rain. Its hard to know much more than a couple days in advance how the weather might be, and you have to make reservations months in advance. No thanks...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

gary7n
Explorer
Explorer
There is a practice that is being adopted by some campgrounds called dynamic pricing which is similar to airlines seat pricing. Your price might vary by time of year, number of bookings, and other factors. There is a service that they are subscribing to that calculates the pricing for them. There is a series of articles in recent RV travel newsletters. https://www.rvtravel.com/part-1-dynamics-pricing-campsite/
Gary7n
Groton, NY

2019 Chevy Silverado 1500 4WD
2021 Heartland Mallard 31 ft.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Alex and Tee wrote:
Kind of surprised no one is talking about Passport America. Lotโ€™s of places to stay from $20 - $50 a night with full H/U. Yes, some have limits on time of year or number of nights you can take the discount but still lots of choices. My wife and I arenโ€™t much for โ€œroughing itโ€.

Yeah PPA is just about the only one of those 'clubs' that are worth the price. Finding a PPA cg can be tough but you only need a couple to break even.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Alex_and_Tee
Explorer
Explorer
Kind of surprised no one is talking about Passport America. Lotโ€™s of places to stay from $20 - $50 a night with full H/U. Yes, some have limits on time of year or number of nights you can take the discount but still lots of choices. My wife and I arenโ€™t much for โ€œroughing itโ€.
Alex & Teresa

2022 Allegro Open Road
2021 Colorado 4x4

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
agesilaus wrote:
Federal campgrounds here in California tend not to have any hookups, so factor in regional differences.

That's normal across the country, a few do, most do not.

Some Fed CG's now have a section with E/W ... Vendors installed and run it and don't allow the senior discount. It gives discount on the site, but then adds $10 for E/W ... Tetons is one example, Everglades another. Altho we were in Tetons about six or seven years ago ... and Everglades three years ago. Not sure how either one is run now, or the fees.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

moonlightrunner
Explorer
Explorer
www.freecampsites.net

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Federal campgrounds here in California tend not to have any hookups, so factor in regional differences.

That's normal across the country, a few do, most do not.
Superbumper

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mayor30 wrote:
We usually don't stay in commercial campgrounds for 2 reasons. 1 the high cost and 2 they jam you together. We much prefer state and federal campgrounds. And if you're 62 or older,the Senior Pass gets you a 50% discount on camping in all federal campgrounds ( National Parks, Army Corps of Engineers,BLM and Forest Service). We stayed at one in Arkansas that cost us $7.50 a night with water and electric! That was the cheapest but others are very reasonable.Usually Less than $20 a night with the pass. And they are nice campgrounds. Most we stayed at had at least electric hookups and some water and electric. A few have full hookups. The campgrounds are much more scenic too. State Parks vary depending on the state. Any where from $18 to $49 a night. So skip the commercial campgrounds and save money.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
We usually don't stay in commercial campgrounds for 2 reasons. 1 the high cost and 2 they jam you together. We much prefer state and federal campgrounds. And if you're 62 or older,the Senior Pass gets you a 50% discount on camping in all federal campgrounds ( National Parks, Army Corps of Engineers,BLM and Forest Service). We stayed at one in Arkansas that cost us $7.50 a night with water and electric! That was the cheapest but others are very reasonable.Usually Less than $20 a night with the pass. And they are nice campgrounds. Most we stayed at had at least electric hookups and some water and electric. A few have full hookups. The campgrounds are much more scenic too. State Parks vary depending on the state. Any where from $18 to $49 a night. So skip the commercial campgrounds and save money.

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
My huge complaint is with government owned parks (usfs, blm, etc.) selling out to concessionaires. Instead of doing their job of running their campgrounds they sell out to the highest bidder for quick cash and leave us to the mercy of their own rules and regulations.

Like>>>>

It makes me furious when I have to pay extra to use the dump station when I am already paying full price for a campsite. (Canyon Ferry Lake & Strawberry Reservoir)

Or being told that my Senior Access Pass is only good certain days of the week or not good in double campsites. (Strawberry Reservoir)

I hate them.
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears
2013 Eagle Cap 950
480 Watts Solar, 3K VictronConnect Multiplus II, VictronConnect smart DC-DC charger, VictronConnect 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Outside National Parks is always a special case. Major parks anyway. And the east side of GNP is worse than most since most of that land is indian reservation, not even any boondocking.
Superbumper

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
Was camping 75 away from Glaicer National park, stopped at a rv park very close to the entrance, asked about a site to fit my 40 ft MH? Nope none this year, and only 8 nights for next year, not all in a row, 3 days then 5 days in different months. I asked the rates? $197.50 per night at this years rate, but expect it to go up about 10% for next year. Decided I didn't need to return next year at rates like that. Will find another part of the country to visit.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
^^^
Turning Stone in NY has a 3 day minimum, I think we have come across others but just don't remember them

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
The "3 day minimum" is interesting... usually, when we've reserved campsites, it is "per night".

First time we ran into "per day" was at a county run campground in New Jersey.

So, for a weekend camping trip Friday-Saturday-Sunday, instead of paying for 2 nights, you pay for 3 days (no matter when you arrive or leave).

I don't know how common that is.

As to the price... well, this is Connecticut. I always expect to pay at least $50 a night if there are any hookups, with septic closer to $100.