Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Campground Rates
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Beer Belly

Bethel, Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/21 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Wife and I usually start and end the camping season with a weekend at a local CG (Cozy Hills in Litchfield CT), and when we called to make a reservation at the start of the season, we were told "All weekends are a 3 day minimum". I can't see checking in on Friday afternoon, checking out on Sunday (because of work on Monday), and paying for a 3rd day. So, fast forward to end of season, we called and the 3 day weekend is gone and rates for full hookups are less than W/E ?, I questioned the rates and was told "The pricing is being driven up by availabilty, much like booking on an airline", either way, I'm not willing to spend $94 per night for W/E, nor $85 for full hookups on a basic CG....it's not a camping resort by any means. Has anyone else run into ridiculous pricing or gimmics.

*Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/21 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I go to San Diego it's usually for at least 10 days. What makes it hard and frustrating getting a space is the weekenders will fill the place up for 2 nights and then it's only half full during the week. I think the 3 night minimum helps folks like me get a space by ruling out the 2 night weekend traffic. Is it right? Depends on if the place gets more long term traffic or weekend traffic. Perhaps hold a percentage of the spaces for the weekend traffic and the rest for longer term.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/21 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is time to face the facts, low cost camping and convenience is history and it is time to find better things to do.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/21 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What are the other campgrounds/RV parks in the area charging? It is an all over increase or is it just this one place? If the latter, then I would stay elsewhere.

If the former, then I would say it has more to do with the pandemic. Folks are willing to pay a lot because they are sick of sitting at home. Wait a couple years and those rates will drop as folks get back to other activities and the campground stays empty due to the rates.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/21 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Motel rates are up too. Double in many cases.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

#1Flyboy

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/21 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

…….. 6 years of RECORD RV sales & NO NEW campgrounds; supply & demand; prices are only gonna go 1 way…. Unfortunately….

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/21 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

#1Flyboy wrote:

…….. 6 years of RECORD RV sales & NO NEW campgrounds; supply & demand; prices are only gonna go 1 way…. Unfortunately….

Spot on.

FWIW every RV park In our area of camping has seasonal adjusted rates and some have a weekend and holiday minimums for years.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/21 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

#1Flyboy wrote:

Actually that is supposedly not true, it's said that there is a record number of new cg being built countrywide. However you need to look at the area of the country. I doubt the NE and Cali don't have a record number being built because of land prices and outrageous regulations. So yes, lot of folks want the camp but there are minimal cg and the price will go up, simple supply and demand.
As Pres Obama said, "elections have consequences"
Cg prices run in the $20-40 range for many cg in the SE, Midwest and Rocky Mountains with scatterings of prices about that.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

2 Retired

Montross, Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/21 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It really is Economics 101! The demand for campsites has expanded as the availability of sites has decreased in several parts of the country - notably the Northeast. In that area land values have exploded and the costs of both creating and particularly running a campground have gone up perhaps every higher. Very few newer campgrounds have been constructed over the past 20 years and so many older ones have sold and have become shopping malls or residential developments! Ask anyone who owns a campground today. Costs for everything have skyrocketed over the past decade far beyond their ability to absorb them. DH and I have been RVing for over 45 years. We have seen costs increase over all this time. We used to camp often in the Myrtle Beach area, generally in the 2 state parks there. Their price for a site with full hookups was $25/night for SC residents for years, with a significant discount for Seniors. Over the past 3 years, the state has gone to the 'price determined by demand' system. This season, the base price for the same site is $56/night, higher during periods of the most demand - and getting a site over a weekend is basically an impossibility! The many privately owned CGs in the area, for the same dates, are getting over $100/night - and they are full as well! While I agree almost $100/night for an RV site is absurd, I look at the cost of a simple motel room in the same area, then factor in the enjoyment we both get from camping, the security we feel when being in "our own bed" and the expenses we do not incur when making our own meals, etc. and we still find it well worth while. So, to answer your question directly - yes, prices are climbing much faster than I would like. I do not see a "3 night minimum" reservation requirement as anything particularly new or 'gimmicky" - we have seen them often for many years, particularly in high-volume tourist areas, over holiday weekends, and during high-demand times for years. Airlines and hotel chains have used the "prices determined by demand" process for years. A number of attractions, like theme parks and others, have "in-season and off-season"- pricing too. That's similar, I think. They are all about supply and demand. The more something is wanted, the higher a price it can be sold for! Reservations are still very hard to come by when planning a trip in our RV for weekend stays. The demand for each site is very high. I am in the process of finalizing our plans for a month long 'voyage' in September. still not complete, and I began it in April! There may well be a few nights while traveling spent boondocking in a parking lot (which we do not like to do, as we believe in supporting local campgrounds as much as we can) simply because the travel is over a weekend night and there is 'no room at the inn'! Fortunately we belong to a national fraternal organization and have found several of their lodges that allow for and have facilities for our RV, or the planning would have been much more difficult!

* This post was edited 07/31/21 10:21am by 2 Retired *

Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/21 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If they were full up for the weekends, it makes sense. Why fill a site for 2 nights per week if they have someone willing to pay for it for 3 nights.

I presume, later in the season, things eased up.

Why they would charge more for a W/E site...All else being equal, it makes no sense. Are they somehow in a better part of the park?

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.