cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another noobie question.

Longshore
Explorer
Explorer
I read some threads in the " beginning RV" dept. about traveling with the propane on to the fridge. Most of the entries are 15 years old.

I respect the knowledge and opinions expressed here. I know there are differing opinions on this subject. So do you leave the LP on while traveling? I know to shut it off before fueling, but on these hot days if I open the fridge once it takes hours to get real cold again. Turning off the gas I might as well pack an ice chest and use the fridge for storage.

Apologies if this is like the TP thread...rehashed to death...
33 REPLIES 33

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
specta wrote:

When I plug into 110v it automatically switched from LP to 110 but I can manually switch it back to LP.

Mine did the same.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:

The main problem on Dometic 3-way is that it is having automatic between LP and 120V, who can't be overridden ????, when 12V require manual switching.

When I plug into 110v it automatically switched from LP to 110 but I can manually switch it back to LP.

Or did I misunderstand your statement?
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
I just went out and unplugged my camper from 110v and shut off the LP, it did not switch to DC by itself but my camper is older, I wouldn't doubt that the newer ones do.

I always travel with my fridge running in LP. Its on the opposite side of the truck's the fuel door so I never worry about it.

It I were to travel through tunnels where they require you to shut them off I would most certainly do that and switch it to DC until I exited the tunnel.
Kenny

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
gitpicker2009 wrote:
Mine automatically selects which source to use. If plugged into shore power, or driving, the DC option runs, when I'm boondocked, it selects propane. You can override it manually and choose, but I don't.

That sounds horrible. DC/LP that defaults to running down your batteries while you're driving.

How does it know if you're driving or parked? Motion sensor?
If you stop at a gas station, does it immediately try lighting the LP flame while you're pulled up to the pump?

I think your confused or didn't state how it works clearly...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Weird, both my old Dometics in mid 2000's model campers switched automatically between all 3 modes, in the correct priority.
AC was first priority if it sensed 120V power, then switched to LP automatically if no 120V and when the flame would blow out sometimes running down the highway, it would kick to 12V power. Just like clockwork.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
gitpicker2009 wrote:
Mine automatically selects which source to use. If plugged into shore power, or driving, the DC option runs, when I'm boondocked, it selects propane. You can override it manually and choose, but I don't.

What model is it?
The main problem on Dometic 3-way is that it is having automatic between LP and 120V, who can't be overridden, when 12V require manual switching.
That leads to situation that when you pull 120V supply with propane off at the tank, the fridge will keep on sparking for few minutes before going into limp and will not switch to 12V on its own.
I tried to rewire the switches, but they are soldered to computer board, what makes it above my skill level.
At the end I put a relay on fridge main 12V supply, who is activated by ignition, so fridge runs on 12V only when alternator is charging.
Than manual switch to turn it on when solar charging or 120V is available.

gitpicker2009
Explorer
Explorer

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
People will do what people do.

When I had my TC's, I would fill the diesel (all components and appliances off) a day or two before heading out.

Then at home, I would pre-cool the fridge on shore AC and pre-heat the water heater. When I was ready to travel, I would shut down the water heater for travel as it seems to retain the heat pretty well.

Depending on time of distance travel, I would generally not turn on the fridge while traveling. It seemed to keep stuff cold for a 3-4 hour travel if not opening the fridge door.

Sometimes I would travel with LP fridge going but ALWAYS turned it off before approaching the pumps. The water heater and fridge were right close to the fuel door and for the sake of safety, the extra 20 minutes or so to LP down and then LP up was not too much a price to pay for taking prudent precautions.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kayteg1 wrote:

Again, this is not just about blowing gas station.
CA bridges don't have propane restrictions, but lot of other states require propane off at the tank for tunnels, ferry and train rides.
That beside the accidents like I pictured before.
Those things do happen and happen often when you travel around.

the only time I turn mine off is where I find thoes restrictions, for example uphere you have to turn your propne tanks off and put a tag on them for the ferry, but thats the only time I turn mine off and it gets turned on right away again when I am off.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
adamis wrote:

I'm no expert and haven't been around as long as some of the old timers on this board but I have to think the number of times a camper fridge flame caused an explosion at a gas station is probably close to zero and likely because something else was significantly wrong unrelated to the camper.

Again, this is not just about blowing gas station.
CA bridges don't have propane restrictions, but lot of other states require propane off at the tank for tunnels, ferry and train rides.
That beside the accidents like I pictured before.
Those things do happen and happen often when you travel around.

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
Not sure if it's a California thing but one thing that has changed a lot in fifteen years are the types of nozzles at gas stations. Here in California all the nozzles are required to prevent excess vapor release and so make a seal on the tank when connected to the car. Diesel doesn't have the same issue so doesn't have this feature on diesel hoses. The result of these requirements are a lot less fuel vapor floating around a station.

I am also in the camp of leave it on. The fridge can barely keep things cold as it is. On rare occasions the flame will go out while driving and that can be frustrating as the fridge struggles to catch up at camp if it is hot outside.

I'm no expert and haven't been around as long as some of the old timers on this board but I have to think the number of times a camper fridge flame caused an explosion at a gas station is probably close to zero and likely because something else was significantly wrong unrelated to the camper.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

Longshore
Explorer
Explorer
After reading all this I'll run with the LP on to the fridge. It doesn't seem to be the hazard it was before with the newer tanks and valving.

Appreciate the opinions.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
So OP, what are you going to do??
Kenny

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Propane on since my first LP fridge in the late '60s in a truck camper. Before that we used "ICE BOXES" which meant finding a ice house for block ice. Lots of spoiled food.
Three truck campers...one TT....three 5th wheel rv trailers later no way I travel without the propane fridge on. Its on before we leave the house and turned off when we get back home.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides