cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternatives for Michelin XPS Ribs?

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Currently have XPS Ribs on my 5th wheel. Great tire but they are now 7 years old. Tons of tread left but feel 7 years is pushing my luck.

Looking to replace but XPS Ribs are costly. Are there cheaper alternatives that are just as reliable? Have had blow outs with factory china bombs. They don't last long here in the hot desert southwest.

What about Bridgestone Duravis (not sure which model), or possibly Maxxis? What else?
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)
23 REPLIES 23

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
23mikey wrote:
Switched to Sailuns on my 2015 13k ORV Glacier Peak. 20k miles little to no wear. Very Happy! Put Sailuns on my 2019 16k Vilano and after 10k mile still very happy! IMHO, cheap tires = expensive repairs!

Well said !!

And - you may/probably "be on the hook" for those expensive repairs!

23mikey
Explorer
Explorer
Switched to Sailuns on my 2015 13k ORV Glacier Peak. 20k miles little to no wear. Very Happy! Put Sailuns on my 2019 16k Vilano and after 10k mile still very happy! IMHO, cheap tires = expensive repairs!
2018 F350 DRW Lariat PSD
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320GK 1200w Solar, 400aH Battleborn, 3kw Magnum Hybrid Inverter/charger, Disc brakes, Sailun G rated tires

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
I ran Bridgestone Duravis R500HD on my last fiver for 4 summers before trading it in three weeks ago and they still looked like new (estimated 35000km’s on them), fiver was a 10.4K GVWR. My. New unit has 6k axles and base on my previous experience with the Bridgestones I will get a set of either R238’s or R500HD’s at the start of the next seasons. No reason to replace the tires this late in the season just to have them sit all winter, I’ll do it early next season.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
If I needed 15" tires, I'd sure look at these.

Transeagle ST Radial 225/75R15. available in either load range "F" and "G".
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
I ended up getting Endurance E's because the Carlisle HDs were not available at Discount Tire and I needed tires within 48 hours due to a semi-unplanned trip. So far, they're OK, but it was only 130 miles. FWIW, Discount refused to air my tires below the rated 80 psi. I wanted 70.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
CALandLIN wrote:
mileshuff wrote:
Currently have XPS Ribs on my 5th wheel. Great tire but they are now 7 years old. Tons of tread left but feel 7 years is pushing my luck.

Looking to replace but XPS Ribs are costly. Are there cheaper alternatives that are just as reliable? Have had blow outs with factory china bombs. They don't last long here in the hot desert southwest.

What about Bridgestone Duravis (not sure which model), or possibly Maxxis? What else?

Your trailer's OE tire size was ST225/75R15. Many of the ST tire manufacturers now provide that size with a steel cased LRF.

Carlisle is one of them.

Carlisle All Steel

That's a 16" tire, not 15".

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
CALandLIN wrote:
Your trailer's OE tire size was ST225/75R15. Many of the ST tire manufacturers now provide that size with a steel cased LRF.

OE tire is 16" on the 2014 26FWRKS. I believe they changed to 15" in 2015 and later along with a lower rated axle. Glad I got the 2014!
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Endricken
Explorer
Explorer
I took my sole 7 year old XPS Rib to a tire dealer as is had very slight cracking this Spring
His inspection did NOT leave him wanting to sell me a new tire!
So I put it back on the Fiver…..
I’m running Bridgestone Duravis on the other axle
I lost one XPS Rib to a nail on a IL Tollway Tollbooth ramp! Thanks IL Tollway??
Retired USAF
Silver 05 Dodge RAM LB CTD Dually 4Speed Auto SWD 3.73, Westin Sportsman Grill & Taillight Guards,Husky Mudguards, Retractable Ball Hitch, Onboard Air & Horns, MaxBrake - towing 2005 Keystone Montana Big Sky 3670 with Star Performance adapter

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:

Carlisle is one of them.

Carlisle All Steel

handsome51
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2006 Carriage 5th wheel I bought new. The china tires lasted 7000 miles. I was lucky and caught them before a blow out. I have been using the XPS Ribs ever since. Yes they are costly , but are good tires. What ever you pay for the tires is cheaper then fixing your RV after a blow out. And you still have to buy a new tire.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm running a Goodyear Wrangler LT E Truck tire on both my trailers. Plenty of weight capability for a trailer of your size. No need to get a G rated tire. Similar to the XPS, a truck tire is a great tire for trailers with more testing and more capability than most trailer tires. ST tires don't go through the manufacturer testing like the LT tires.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
jjj wrote:
Friend of mine bought goodyear endurance and loves them. 3 years and no problems. He pulls a 35 ft cougar pull trailer.

Many stories just like this and at a reasonable price. Made in a free Country.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:

The Bridgestone Duravis R-238 is as good a tire, but won't be much if any cheaper. With a 10.5K GVWR I'd likely go with the the poly LT, or just spend the coin. We run about 12K with 14.4K GVWR. When we replaced the Bridgestone Duravis R-250's I went to Sailuns. Still overkill, but after 3 year I'd do it again.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
Friend of mine bought goodyear endurance and loves them. 3 years and no problems. He pulls a 35 ft cougar pull trailer.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn