Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Why do I keep blowing out tires on my truck?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Why do I keep blowing out tires on my truck?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
mileshuff

Phoenix, AZ.

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/21 12:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

From what I can find online, the standard tire size for your truck is 265/75R16. The standard Defender weight rating is is 2756 lbs/tire. There is an LT265R16 (load range E - 10 ply rating) version that is 3415 lbs/tire.

They also make a LT285/75R16 version that is 3750 lbs/tire. After multiple blowouts I would want these !

Inflate to the pressure recommended by the TIRE MANUFACTURER !

All tires have been factory size at LT265/70R17. All have been E rated 10 ply. Current LTX M/S are rated at 3195 lb at 80 PSI. Very similar to the other tires I've had.

2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

mileshuff

Phoenix, AZ.

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/21 12:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RAS43 wrote:

Is there somewhere you go on a regular basis that could cause damage to that RR tire, a curb, rock, etc ?

Nope. Almost all highway towing miles. Possibly how it is normally parked with sun shining on it.

mileshuff

Phoenix, AZ.

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/21 12:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

What caused the blowouts? Tread separation, sidewall blowout, or other stuff? May be time for a cheap TPMS to see what that tire is doing.

Tread separation all three times. I check tire pressure and adjust if needed before every trip. I set them to the max rated at 80 PSI.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/21 12:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stop buying Michiblows….next caller please!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/21 12:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And with Michilubes propensity for cracking, turn your truck around so you’re not baking the same tires all the time.
Many folks don’t seem to know any better, but the AZ sun (or similar SW locations) is the most brutal treatment anyone can give their vehicles or toys.
There’s a reason that the houses are ALL stucco with tile roofs. Anything that is basically not made of rock or cement or dirt WILL degrade quicker or much quicker than other environments.

* This post was edited 07/31/21 01:04pm by Grit dog *

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/21 01:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mileshuff wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

What caused the blowouts? Tread separation, sidewall blowout, or other stuff? May be time for a cheap TPMS to see what that tire is doing.

Tread separation all three times. I check tire pressure and adjust if needed before every trip. I set them to the max rated at 80 PSI.
With tread separation every time, I would be looking at an inherent problem with that corner of the truck. Bad shock allowing the tire to bounce at a high enough frequency you wouldn't necessarily feel it. I'd be looking for something that causing that tire to bounce/wobble/run out of round, or something along those lines. Maybe even check the wheel temp for a dragging brake, but that seems pretty unlikely as you'd be changing pads more frequently.

Maybe get someone to drive beside you on the highway at varying speeds to see if they can spot an issue. Just a thought.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/21 01:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mileshuff wrote:

All tires have been factory size at LT265/70R17. All have been E rated 10 ply. Current LTX M/S are rated at 3195 lb at 80 PSI. Very similar to the other tires I've had.

You still need to verify the weight on the rear axle !

Seems odd, but you may have to shift to 16" rims and LT 285/75R16 tires which have a higher payload.

What does the door sticker say for tire pressure ? If you are filling them to 80 psi cold, they will be running more than that hot !

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/21 02:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Isn’t the door sticker always a cold inflation pressure?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/21 04:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mileshuff wrote:

Assuming your truck would indicate low pressure from a road hazard before the tire overheated and lost the tread..... the tire is defective.

I recommend switching to top line Goodyear Wrangler® All-Terrain Adventure With Kevlar®

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-all-terrain-adventure

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/21 04:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

mileshuff wrote:

You still need to verify the weight on the rear axle !

Seems odd, but you may have to shift to 16" rims and LT 285/75R16 tires which have a higher payload.

What does the door sticker say for tire pressure ? If you are filling them to 80 psi cold, they will be running more than that hot !

Again, no to 16" wheels. They WONT FIT over the brakes.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Why do I keep blowing out tires on my truck?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.