cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New lpg tank

mattyj
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone know the proper procedure to purge brand new propane tanks? My wife brought a tank in to be filled, it is brand new and she had to leave to go get cash because their ATM does not work when she came back the girl had the propane tank all the way in the back of the yard She said it has a hole and was leaking but I think it was not purged for an initial Fillup.Does anybody know the symptoms of filling up and on purged brand new LPG tank?
2006 Ford F 350, 6.0 PSD 8 Foot Bed 4x4 with Torklift Tie downs ,Stable Loads ,rear Helwig Swaybar,airlifts 5000 , Method 305 HD rims . 2019 Adventurer 89 RBS, slideout, Generator
11 REPLIES 11

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:

I also never changed tire air from summer to winter blend.

I have always filled my tires with a special blend of 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen. This saves money over the 100% nitrogen the racers use, while providing most of same the benefits.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
To the OP, what does purging have to do with having a hole in it? Not that I think a new bottle is likely to have a hole, but I can’t make that connection there.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Kayteg1 wrote:
jimh425 wrote:
This is kind of interesting to me. I never knew purging was required, but I also have never bought an empty new propane tank.

!!!! Best post of the week!
Thank you for the levity!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
I get my New/used tanks by getting a propane exchange tank once every few years.....I know, I'm bad but..........
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
This is kind of interesting to me. I never knew purging was required, but I also have never bought an empty new propane tank.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
As long as you tell the propane place that 'it's a new tank and needs to be purged', they should know what to do.. If they don't, then go someplace else.

I don't think it's anything special, but the put those stickers on new cylinders for a reason..

It's been awhile since I got a new cylinder, and I'm old, so don't recall all the details, but the places I took it to did whatever they needed to do and the cylinder worked fine after that.

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Never did the purge even I had valves replaced by propane dealer.
When you are filling the propane with bleeder open, the liquid is pushing about 80% of vapor out.
Propane is heavier than air, so the air is 1st to escape the cylinder with bleeder on top.

mattyj
Explorer
Explorer
I got it purged from the dealer, thank you for your responses!!
2006 Ford F 350, 6.0 PSD 8 Foot Bed 4x4 with Torklift Tie downs ,Stable Loads ,rear Helwig Swaybar,airlifts 5000 , Method 305 HD rims . 2019 Adventurer 89 RBS, slideout, Generator

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Copy/Paste from HERE

Proper Purging of a Propane Tank
Posted on 7th Jun 2019
Proper Purging of a Propane Tank is very Important!
DOT Cylinder Purging Procedure:
Exhaust to atmosphere any air pressure in the container*
Pressurize the cylinder to 15 psig with propane vapor. Never use liquid propane.
Exhaust vapor to atmosphere
Repeat four more times
SAFETY WARNING: The purging procedure should be done by a qualified trained person. Exhausting propane vapor incorrectly could result in ignition of exhausted propane fumes resulting in burn injury or death!

Why is purging a new propane tank so important?

If the natural volume of air inside your tank is not removed prior to the 1st filling, these problems will result:
During the warmer months of the year your tank could experience excessive and false container pressures. This could cause the safety relief valve to open, blowing off (discharging) the excessive pressure.
Any air mixture in the vapor space of the tank will be carried to the appliance burner. This could result in unwanted service calls from pilot light outage or improper burner flame function.
However, if the atmospheric air inside your new tank is properly purged:

The storage tank will fill faster, your appliances will function more consistently, pressure relief valves on your tank will be less likely to discharge.
WARNING! Never Purge with Liquid Propane!

Purging with liquid propane causes the liquid propane being pumped into your tank to flash into vapor, chilling the container and condensing any moisture vapor on the walls of the tank where it remains while the pressure is being blown down. Additionally, less than 50% or as little as 25% of the air will be removed if the purging is done with liquid propane.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Take it to a propane dealer.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob