Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rapid City, SD to Yellowstone

Chevy1
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
Planning a trip pulling our 35' 5th wheel from Indiana to Rapid City, SD then on to Yellowstone. From Yellowstone we also want to take in the Tetons and Jackson. In route planning, I am wondering about getting from Rapid City into Yellowstone. Thought about staying at West Yellowstone but curious about other entrances and campgrounds we might be able to get into from the east side. Preferred campgrounds would have at least sewer and water.
5 REPLIES 5

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
Chevy1, that's a good route but I think 191 to 26 to 20 to I/25 would be just as easy and cut out a lot of miles.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

Chevy1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,
Another question in regard to the Yellowstone area. We are leaving Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone heading back towards Indiana. We would like to head south on 191 ending up on I80 heading towards Cheyenne. How are the roads, specifically 191, 26, and 287? Are there places to fuel (diesel) up? Or would it be better to go back north to Bozeman and go thru Rapid City? On our way west we are going thru Rapid City to Bozeman on to West Yellowstone. Pulling a 30CK Crossroads 5th wheel with 2500HD Duramax.
Thanks for any info you can give.

Chevy1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for info TexasShadow and Horsedoc.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have done the 16 route over the Big Horns to Cody and it is a beautiful trip coming over. Little steep in a couple of areas, especially where the switchbacks start going down into the canyon.
We have also run I-90 to Livingston and taken 89 into the park through Gardiner. Again curvy and a bit steep as you come into the park.
I-90 to Bozeman and down 191 into the Park at W Yellowstone is our first route ever there. We still prefer that route if we a just touring around that part of the country. Seemed to have seen more animals there (wife loves wild life) coming into the Park this way.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
take 90 over to Buffalo WY and then take 16 over the Bighorns, then north and west to Cody and west to Yellowstone. Take the route across the park if you want to go to West Yellowstone. All good roads, but don't be surprised by road work in some places.
Buffalo has a couple nice rv parks if you're ready to quit at that time
Over the mountains, there is a nice rv park on the west side of Ten Sleep, very shady and laid out nice.
Up at Cody, there is the Ponderosa RV park on the west side of town, just down the street from the really great Buffalo Bill Museum of the West.
Or, out of town about 7 miles, there is Buffalo Bill State Park.
Or, further out, there is Wapiti Campground (gov) and further on, Rex Hale campround (gov) We have stayed at all of them and have no complaints. the gov camps do not have hookups.
Bon Voyage!
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.