Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Battery Replacement?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Battery Replacement?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/21 10:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think batteries are all that much worse if you buy quality than a few years back. It's more that the trucks don't like batteries that are not perfect.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 05:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FLY 4 FUN wrote:

My batts are from 2012 and seem to be ok. I would say if they start your truck and aren't leaking then get a load test done and decide from there. If they are ok why toss them and pay all that money for new ones.
X2

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 09:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is worse is the dozens of small parasitic loads that make modern cars convenient. On my Elantra that amounts to 2.7 amp-hours per day. When I leave it behind I have a small charger that operates for one hour per day. Otherwise I'd come home to a dead battery.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

salem

Central Valley, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 12:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone. May be going to Phoenix in a month or so. Maybe better safe than sorry so I'll have the batteries tested and go from there. Thanks again for the comments.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/21 08:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm still running the J.C PENNY battery with the lifetime warranty from 1972. [emoticon]

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/21 10:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron3rd wrote:

I'm still running the J.C PENNY battery with the lifetime warranty from 1972. [emoticon]

How many times has it been replaced?

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/21 05:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced the battery for the Cummins 6.7 in my motorhome last year for the first time. I was installed in the chassis in late 2012. It was still working but I replaced it just to be on the safe side. I only use one battery for the Cummins since I replaced the other with capacitors that should last forever and actually produce a better starting jolt. The truck battery that I put in only cost $75 from the Kenworth dealer, seemed like a real bargain to me. I didn't mind running that the old battery a little longer than normal since I have a big set off house batteries already wired in for backup if needed.

I had a KMart lifetime battery in my 1970 Impala. I think that I got it replaced 4 times before some idiot stole it not knowing that it was already getting weak. He should have waited a few more weeks. I averaged right around 4 years per battery.

I had a lifetime battery from Honey's auto parts but on the third replacement they gave me a choice of a full refund or a non-warranted replacement, ending he warrantee either way.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/21 02:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Ron3rd wrote:

Cummins, you must be as old as I am if you remember the infamous "J.C.PENNEY BATTERY" with the lifetime warranty!

Devo the dog

Moved out of crazy California

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/21 05:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

OP, as you see by the responses...

You’ve asked a crystal ball question that is frankly pretty silly.
Given you have a high $ truck that is a garage queen, I’ll presume you’re an older person.

In other words, Grit Dog thinks you're old, he has an issue with you owning an expensive truck that's a garage queen, and he thinks your question was stupid to ask. His words were "frankly pretty silly."

Typical of Grit dog. It appears that he doesn't like older people, especially when they ask questions that he doesn't like. And it's obvious from this and many other posts that he doesn't like people who can afford expensive trucks. Furthermore, it really rubs him the wrong way if you can garage the truck.

I've only had batteries go bad at the worst time, primarily because there's never a good time. They aren't expensive and not difficult to replace, if you want to do it yourself. Also, if you have AAA, their prices to replace batteries are very reasonable. So if you have AAA, it's not much of a gamble unless you end up in a situation that's time sensitive. Also, if you have a shop that you take it to for regular maintenance, the next time it's there, ask them to check the battery.

The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui (La fiat wee-wee), I understand why.
The only thing more incompetent than Ram is Bye-don and his supporters.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/21 05:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron3rd wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Ron3rd wrote:

Cummins, you must be as old as I am if you remember the infamous "J.C.PENNEY BATTERY" with the lifetime warranty!

Must be!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Battery Replacement?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.