cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalytic Connverter

Cruisineasy
Explorer
Explorer
Well, they got me last night. The cat thieves stole my catalytic converter off of my 2011 Jayco Greyhawk. It's on a ford E-450 Superduty chassis.
I have looked for over an hour for a replacement and so far I can find them, but they do not ship to California. I'm in the central valley. Not sure what the problem is. Does anyone know of a place I can find one??
20 REPLIES 20

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Couple of observations--they used to sell what the called a "test tube" that replaced the cat. Remember to this day many states don't test the exhaust. Also back in the day, and maybe still, you could buy a thing to screw in a plug hole then screw the plug into that to stop oil from fouling the plug. Screw this same device in where the oxygen sensor goes then screw in the sensor and it cheats the sensor and the check engine light. And it will fool the test also!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
….OMG, don’t do it! Well I’ll reserve actual comment and let the vehicle modification Karens discuss further!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had a check engine light on my K5 Blazer and found it to be an oxygen sensor. Installed a new one and cleared the code and headed down for a California smog inspection. My vehicle failed because the code was just cleared and the Dmv computer knew it. The smog man told me to run it through some "cycles" meaning go do some errands, start stop, turn it off start it up drive for awhile. Maybe 5 of those he said. i did ,went back and it passed.
Your results may vary. As far as running your vehicle without a cat on it....hhmmmm....not sure what effect that may have. Mr know it all will chime in and let you know......

Cruisineasy
Explorer
Explorer
Found a Calif. compliant cat. $1100.00. Think I'm going to make a straight tube and leave it in until it's time for a smog check then install the cat and remove it after the check. Then they can't steal it. I'm sure it will throw a code. I can clear it before the smog check. Will this mess up anything??

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
Mine was stolen in January. Dealer installed $1,700. Not fun.

Cruisineasy
Explorer
Explorer
I found one through Fordparts.com. A bit over $1000 but I got it. Insurance paid for most of it. Didn't think about it, but there is an O2 sensor in the cat. Now trying to find the part number for it.

WinMinnie02
Explorer
Explorer
Crusineasy, sorry to hear about the stolen CAT. Like others have mentioned insurance should help cover the parts and labor, try Rockauto, Autozone, Advanced Auto, NAPA for a new CAT. If you are handy should be able to install it yourself, E450 has a lot of room. Unfortunate to have to worry about CAT thefts, very difficult to stop them if you are not in the unit away from home.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
klutchdust wrote:

Yeah sure, funny but after reading about so many issues that "chip' installers have after they "chip" one wonders why you would do that to your vehicle. I burn rubber with my muscle cars not my 2500HD.

Hope I don't jinx myself, but after the better part of 20 years and, personally, 3 different tuned diesels including 1 deleted truck, over several hundred thousand miles, I can't say I have the same fear.
Did have 1 tuner that would wig out if you tried to adjust tire size/speedo, but no issue with the engine tuning.

I can burn rubber with the trucks and our muscle cars, trucks tires are too expensive to though, lol. But they sure do run good.
The old Dmax and CR 5.9 Cummins were fairly anemic without tuning. Better than any gasser truck even today, but not by much compared to new gassers. But even a mild 60hp tune makes a big difference in performance.
I thought you are or were pulling with a 12 Valve. Did you leave it stock?

Sorry this is off topic. Hope the OP finds a new cat (or a nice shiny piece of straight exhaust pipe if vehicle is smog exempt.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Itakethe5th2011
Explorer
Explorer
Call your local muffler shop. I was told last month that California was easing up on after market cats as of August 1st. Don't know how true it is.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Salvage yards with any knowledge are scrapping them with many being worth north of $1000 to the recyclers. Friend and Brother in law both own auto recycling yards and have stopped selling used parts opting instead to cut off the converters and crush the rest for scrap metal. Way to easy for a thief to steal and get a little drug money....your auto insurance should pay for it I think.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdc1 wrote:
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Have you tried the Salvage Yards in your area?

It's a federal offense for salvage yards to sell used Cat's. You would have to know which yard might toss one over the back fence for $100. Kind of like showing a couple of Benjamin's to get your smog passed on a Diesel with a chip now.

Yeah sure, funny but after reading about so many issues that "chip' installers have after they "chip" one wonders why you would do that to your vehicle. I burn rubber with my muscle cars not my 2500HD.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
CA requires OEM only or certified catalyst.

Take it to NV for repair.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Have you tried the Salvage Yards in your area?

It's a federal offense for salvage yards to sell used Cat's. You would have to know which yard might toss one over the back fence for $100. Kind of like showing a couple of Benjamin's to get your smog passed on a Diesel with a chip now.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cruisineasy wrote:
Oh yeah, but some do say that they are not licensed for Calif..

Out of state Cat's are not California compliant. Out of state Cat's are not built to the same stringent standards as Ca. Cat's.