Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Catalytic Connverter
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Catalytic Connverter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

IAMICHABOD wrote:

Have you tried the Salvage Yards in your area?

It's a federal offense for salvage yards to sell used Cat's. You would have to know which yard might toss one over the back fence for $100. Kind of like showing a couple of Benjamin's to get your smog passed on a Diesel with a chip now.

Yeah sure, funny but after reading about so many issues that "chip' installers have after they "chip" one wonders why you would do that to your vehicle. I burn rubber with my muscle cars not my 2500HD.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Salvage yards with any knowledge are scrapping them with many being worth north of $1000 to the recyclers. Friend and Brother in law both own auto recycling yards and have stopped selling used parts opting instead to cut off the converters and crush the rest for scrap metal. Way to easy for a thief to steal and get a little drug money....your auto insurance should pay for it I think.

Itakethe5th2011

Moreno Valley, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/21 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Call your local muffler shop. I was told last month that California was easing up on after market cats as of August 1st. Don't know how true it is.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klutchdust wrote:

Yeah sure, funny but after reading about so many issues that "chip' installers have after they "chip" one wonders why you would do that to your vehicle. I burn rubber with my muscle cars not my 2500HD.

Hope I don't jinx myself, but after the better part of 20 years and, personally, 3 different tuned diesels including 1 deleted truck, over several hundred thousand miles, I can't say I have the same fear.
Did have 1 tuner that would wig out if you tried to adjust tire size/speedo, but no issue with the engine tuning.

I can burn rubber with the trucks and our muscle cars, trucks tires are too expensive to though, lol. But they sure do run good.
The old Dmax and CR 5.9 Cummins were fairly anemic without tuning. Better than any gasser truck even today, but not by much compared to new gassers. But even a mild 60hp tune makes a big difference in performance.
I thought you are or were pulling with a 12 Valve. Did you leave it stock?

Sorry this is off topic. Hope the OP finds a new cat (or a nice shiny piece of straight exhaust pipe if vehicle is smog exempt.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

WinMinnie02

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crusineasy, sorry to hear about the stolen CAT. Like others have mentioned insurance should help cover the parts and labor, try Rockauto, Autozone, Advanced Auto, NAPA for a new CAT. If you are handy should be able to install it yourself, E450 has a lot of room. Unfortunate to have to worry about CAT thefts, very difficult to stop them if you are not in the unit away from home.

Cruisineasy

Hayward

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/21 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found one through Fordparts.com. A bit over $1000 but I got it. Insurance paid for most of it. Didn't think about it, but there is an O2 sensor in the cat. Now trying to find the part number for it.

Racine96

Racine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/21 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine was stolen in January. Dealer installed $1,700. Not fun.

Cruisineasy

Hayward

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/21 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Found a Calif. compliant cat. $1100.00. Think I'm going to make a straight tube and leave it in until it's time for a smog check then install the cat and remove it after the check. Then they can't steal it. I'm sure it will throw a code. I can clear it before the smog check. Will this mess up anything??

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/21 10:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a check engine light on my K5 Blazer and found it to be an oxygen sensor. Installed a new one and cleared the code and headed down for a California smog inspection. My vehicle failed because the code was just cleared and the Dmv computer knew it. The smog man told me to run it through some "cycles" meaning go do some errands, start stop, turn it off start it up drive for awhile. Maybe 5 of those he said. i did ,went back and it passed.
Your results may vary. As far as running your vehicle without a cat on it....hhmmmm....not sure what effect that may have. Mr know it all will chime in and let you know......

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/21 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

….OMG, don’t do it! Well I’ll reserve actual comment and let the vehicle modification Karens discuss further!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Catalytic Connverter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.