cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highway 191 north of Morenci towing trailers

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to know how unsuitable for trailers is highway 191 from Morenci,Arizona to Alpine, Arizona. I have a fifth wheel that is about 29' long and my friend has a 28' tow behind trailer. Just want the best way from Tucson to Alpine for safe towing. Yes, I have lived here for years and have never gone that way.
Thanks in advance,
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK
6 REPLIES 6

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I did it years ago North bound in a 25' Class C. Slow but great scenic drive. I would not do it South bound in an RV or either direction towing. An alternative I have used is AZ/NM-78(Three Way, AZ) to US-180. Still lots of twists and turns but I don't think the grades are as steep.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes the OP is describing "The Devils Highway" which is widely regarded as the greatest motorcycle road in North America. I've ridden it on my bike half a dozen times and though I never counted it is reported to have 1,100 curves in just 95 miles and at least a quarter of those curves are first gear events... on a motorcycle. :S

The views are spectacular and most of the road is at 7 to 9,000'. One of the biggest challenges aside from all of the tight {and I mean very tight curves} is the relatively short weather window to safely ride the DH. Obviously winter is off the table but during summer the Monsoon thunderstorms {and this year is setting records almost daily} cause lots of rockslides rendering the road dangerous to impassable. Given the light traffic it gets keeping it clear is a pretty low priority for ADOT.

My bride and I first rode the DH in late May which was fine and early fall can be doable as well but whenever you go watch the weather and don't try it if there has been recent storm activity.
It would be fine in any car our truck but towing, especially a large rig, is not for the feint of heart or sound of mind. :B

Here isa shot taken about halfway between Morenci and Alpine looking west:

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for the advice. Will make an alternate route.
Thanks--Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

cmsm
Explorer
Explorer
I researched that route a few years ago when we were touring Moab and then heading south into Az. Apparently there are lots of switchbacks and a tunnel with a height of 12’ 7”. Since our fifth wheel is 13’ 2” tall, we did a different road.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
One of the twistiest roads in the US. Try it without the trailer first. It used to be the Devil's Hwy, Rt 666. I've been on it, one and done.

If you just want to go to Alpine go through Globe and Show Low.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Subscribing so I can see the replies. I've also lived in AZ for years and years. Been to Alpine, but not south to Morenci. I just told friends not to drive that portion in their motorhome because I thought I remembered that advice here on these forums.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara