cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you think about this set up?

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 Chevy with the 5.3 eng and trailer package with a towing capacity with the 3.42 rear at 9800 lbs. Thinking of going to a larger trailer that is 29 ft and dry wt of 6600 lbs.I travel light and just me and the bride and one cat. I know things add up but I think or feel this is doable. That are your thoughts? Thanks Ed. I do not need to be the first one over the hill and would be staying here in California.
18 REPLIES 18

packpe89
Explorer
Explorer
Towed a similar trailer with an 2006 Silverado and 5.3. I would definitely use a good WDH, but should be ok. I would not want to go across the country, but for shorter trips would be ok. I did pull through the NC mountains, definitely struggled uphill. If I were going to tow it allot though, I would consider a 2500.

blt2ski
mkirsch wrote:
Curly2001 wrote:
Quite a few years ago I had a very similar set up with a Chevy Tahoe, 350 CI engine and 3:42 gears. I did tow a 19' Wilderness and did two things. Ran out of power in the hills and burned up the rear diff. You will find out it is driving you and you are not driving it at the end of the day. The gearing is not right for the load you want to tow in my opinion.
Curly

350, meaning at best you had a 4-speed transmission, a glorified TH400 with overdrive.

In 2013 there's a good chance that the OP's Tahoe has the 6-speed, which has a much deeper 1st gear, and two additional gears between first and direct. This allows you to have the low grunt of a 4.10 and the good unloaded mileage of the 3.42, using transmission gears instead of differential gears.

"Gotta have a 4.10" is outdated 1970's thinking.

I'd be willing to bet the trans is a 4l60e, a glorified th350. If the Tahoe is an 8 lug burb Tahoe, then yes, it has the 4l80e which is a glorified th400. The 4l60 is the better towing gear due to lower ratios in 1st and 2nd gears

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 Chevy 1500 Silverado Extended Truck with 6.6 bed. Not sure why we are talking about a short wheel based SUV Tahoe

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
mkirsch wrote:
Curly2001 wrote:
Quite a few years ago I had a very similar set up with a Chevy Tahoe, 350 CI engine and 3:42 gears. I did tow a 19' Wilderness and did two things. Ran out of power in the hills and burned up the rear diff. You will find out it is driving you and you are not driving it at the end of the day. The gearing is not right for the load you want to tow in my opinion.
Curly

350, meaning at best you had a 4-speed transmission, a glorified TH400 with overdrive.

In 2013 there's a good chance that the OP's Tahoe has the 6-speed, which has a much deeper 1st gear, and two additional gears between first and direct. This allows you to have the low grunt of a 4.10 and the good unloaded mileage of the 3.42, using transmission gears instead of differential gears.

You're right, I drive 2011 and 2009 Tahoes at work and they both have six speeds. I think they went to the trans about 2007ish? They run well but they can never decide which gear to be in unless you use manual mode, and that's running empty. Not sure if towing heavy with one would be fun although I'm sure they would do the job.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
1ed wrote:
I have a 2013 Chevy with the 5.3 eng and trailer package with a towing capacity with the 3.42 rear at 9800 lbs. Thinking of going to a larger trailer that is 29 ft and dry wt of 6600 lbs.I travel light and just me and the bride and one cat. I know things add up but I think or feel this is doable. That are your thoughts? Thanks Ed. I do not need to be the first one over the hill and would be staying here in California.

If you like towing in 3rd maybe 4th gear all the time. I had that same setup on a 2013 Chevy Z-71 cab and a half, pulling a 25’ toy hauler, Dry weight 6,000 with a golf cart inside. Truck moaned to get up to speed. That was when we lived in NE Florida.

Thunderbolt
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
Curly2001 wrote:
Curly
What does a "burned up differential" mean? It either turns or it doesn't,there is nothing in there to burn up. Now if you burned up a transmission that would make sense.

I am sure he means overheated and ruined bearings or possibly ruined the Gov-Loc if he had it. Burned up is being used universally for wrecked, ruined fried or toasted the rear diff essentially ruining the differential. 🙂
Bryan
2003 2500HD Ext. cab short box
6.0 liter 4.10 gears, Nelson performance PCM 293,000 miles
98 K1500 4x4 heavy duty 1/2 ton (Sold)
6,600lb GVWR 5,280lbs on the scale empty
14 bolt rear diff. 3:73 , Tranny and oil coolers
380,000 miles.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Curly2001 wrote:
Curly
What does a "burned up differential" mean? It either turns or it doesn't,there is nothing in there to burn up. Now if you burned up a transmission that would make sense.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Curly2001 wrote:
Curly

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
Some additional info on the truck: Truck has Extended Cab with 6.6 bed 81000 miles and just had Tranny fluid change and filter changed too. Truck is in Excellent Condition.
It does have the 6 speed Tranny with the Tow/Haul feature with the grade braking system.
Last week I can down the famous GRAPEVINE at 50 MPH towing my Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S and never once touched the brakes because I was in Tow/Haul mode with cruise set at 50 MPH.

blt2ski
2014+ GM1500's got a substantial power increase, along with mpg improvent. ALL got the 6 so auto. A few of the 12/13 5.3's got the 6sp, the rest have the 4sp.
You don't have ALL that much more power than I do with my 2014 4.3. I've pulled a few trailers in the 6-8k range. They were not box dye RV trailer. Generally speaking, I'm not lacking in power.
At elevation losing 3% every 1000'. You may notice in the 5-6k' range. Gear down and go slower.
Overall you will be safe. I would bet even same at the end of a trip. A trailer that is more aerodynamic vs not, would be a better choice. Make sure it has smooth sidewalks, not corrogated aluminum. That is worst option for wind drag, extra HP needed etc. Yes it's lighter....but!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I had better luck than Curly had with my Tahoe but OP's set up is not ideal. You'll be at 7,500 pounds wet and loaded minimum. It won't be fun.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
It'll work. You absolutely won't be the first to the top of the passes.

I'd do it if the truck is well kept and not a pile of miles on it.
Just realize the limitations and drive accordingly.
I'd also want some helper springs/Timbrens/bags and min D load rated tires, preferably E load.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dry weight is somewhat meaningless, particularly if you are stating brochure weights. I know my TT was much heavier than stated from factory, not a biggie since we had more than enough towing prowess in our 3/4 ton Chevy HD truck. I am sure your truck can pull your intended new TT, maybe even the space shuttle like a Toyota truck. It is not always weight but TT length when it comes to half ton trucks, flatlands may not pose as many difficulties, mountain and high elevation travel will certainly tax your engine and tranny. It all amounts to towing comfort for us, we live and do most of our RVing at high elevations, we enjoy having the power to merge and stay at posted speed limits, and the added safety of strong and capable braking system. We have friends and family with similar setups (half ton and 30' TT) that will tell you in a minute they wish they had more truck, it is ultimately your call, you could always upgrade to a more capable truck in the future. Our truck is not a daily driver and just sits idle until it is called to towing duty.