Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Olympics......
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  Sports

> Olympics......

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
akaPedro

Garaged

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about 11,000 athletes and why rock climbing, surfing and skate boarding.....among other questionable events? Guess I am just an old fogey but why not get back to track and field, wrestling, etc. from the 50's ?

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yea, I miss the old javelin target competition competition instead of just going for distance. Gotta' admire the man's composure for sure!

And what about the olde tyme sponsors? Composure? This man is the epitome!

I miss those days. [emoticon]

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/21 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Track and Field is alive and well, some of it they just don't air any more and most of the first weeks events are nothing more than the same old rehash "bracket" style shootouts to advance or not advance to the next bracket which is as boring as watching paint dry and the second week is quarter finals, semi finals and finals..

So the first week they air all of the swimming and gymnastics semi and finals and then switch to track and field events for the second week.. Were on the second week and my interest is darn near gone.

Personally I am sick of the beach volley ball events which started with like twenty brackets and seems like we had 20 pairs of ladies from the US in since I don't recall seeing the same US pairs twice..

Worst of all is the broadcasts now are more commercial focused sprinkled with a slight hint of Olympic events..

For instance, they showed 1 event swim that lasted 2 minutes, then cut to 6-8 30 second commercials for totaled of 3 minutes of commercial time for that actual 2 minutes for actual Olympic program time.. On 1500 mtr swim events they were cutting away to commercials every 2 minutes and or box in box cutting out audio from Olympics to make sure you heard the commercials.. Thats 12 commercial breaks per hr of program.. Has to be breaking some "gold" records for advertising.

We used to have standards set by FCC that restricted commercial time to no more than 18 minutes per 1 hr of program.. That obviously has been thrown out.

My response?

Mute and ignore the commercials, I will not watch the TV programs and movies they push, will not ask my doctor for the meds they push and I don't buy from any other advertisers on their commercials and I am not buying NBCs streaming service either..

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/21 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I stopped watching the Olympics a while back. You seldom see 'live' events anymore. Everything's highlights, cut & paste clips.

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/21 08:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK... so I heard about an amazing interview with an athlete who won gold today. The enthusiasm and pride in not only the accomplished but moreover, pride in representing the country.

It is something that if it was more evident in the competitions then perhaps I might watch the events.

I received it from a friend who said that "straight interview" versions are being censored by the IOCC and NBC and a video of the interview only is not available. Well, I guess that is kinda' true because in searching for it I could not find a straight version. I have only found YooToobers putting together versions on their respective platforms.

I am posting the following not for a political statement of any kind whatsoever. But I cannot find a version of the victor in the interview sans any editorials. I am posting it to show the jubilation, the pride and accomplishment.

Mod, I am willing to bet you might delete this or edit it, but I tried my best to find an interview video only.

You are only allowed to watch the first 55 seconds:
US Olympian Wins Gold, Goes Viral For Inspiring Patriotic Interview

The enthusiasm of this athlete makes me smile [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  Sports

> Olympics......
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.