cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Glenwood Canyon I-70 mudslides....!

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most travelers I reckon have the internet technologies to check and keep abreast of road conditions. And, as may might know, I-70 Colorado in Glenwood Canyon is having some mudslide issues.

It's gonna' be some time before they get it opened again...

This VIDEO from the over the weekend gives and indication of the cleanup required.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.
24 REPLIES 24

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Shadow57, you can use the 3500 to push you over the passes. :B;) From IN I would use I-70 as it’s in pretty good shape. From CO Springs I’d take I-25 south Walsenburg and 160 to its end in at Tuba City, AZ and then to the N Rim before Bryce. Wolfe Creek pass (south of South Fork) is one of the easier passes.
Sounds like you can use I-70 on the return home after taking 12 from Bryce to Capital Reef… Yes, you can do 12 in a RV.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
OK, we drove the canyon this afternoon. Not much traffic at all (yet). I'm sure trucks will start using this route again in the next day or two. Only about a mile of single lane traffic each way. Otherwise it's just the normal two lanes each direction.

The devastation is greater than I anticipated, even looking at the videos and pictures. There are a number of drainages which had mudflows come down on one or both lanes of traffic along a 5 or 6 mile stretch of the highway. I think CDOT has done an amazing job of getting the road passable in such a short amount of time, given what had transpired. In lots of places the guardrails were ripped from the concrete barriers. There are some places where one lane of the roadway itself is gone.

There were also mudflows on the opposite side of the river which came across the railroad tracks and down into the river. Between the mudflows on both sides of the canyon, the course of the river has been changed dramatically. Places that used to have rapids now have some slack water where one of these debris fans has blocked one side of the river or the other.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
The Canyon is OPEN!!! 🙂

As for gas prices, they're always a lot higher here. Even just driving to Silt or Rifle can save 10 to 20 cents a gallon.
Ken & Allison
(You get the idea!)

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ken/ Allison, are you seeing any gasoline shortages or uptick in prices?
Have been reading/ hearing that might be the case for you folks on the west side of the Canyon.

...over here, we are missing the peaches and corn from Palisades and Olathe that can't get through.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
We're so waiting for the road to open. Of course it will be big backups with only one lane, lots of freight backed up in Denver ready to head west, and lots of gawkers.

We've missed seeing family just on the other side of the canyon. And Allison already has a long shopping list for Costco!
Ken & Allison
(You get the idea!)

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
But don't you want a road that safer for "large slow moving recreational vehicles"?

This quote from the Project Page relates to the long range purpose of the work on US 50. Of course most of us would want that. The "pause" in the project relates to the immediate need for an alternate east/west route to I-70, which makes good sense.

I have towed over Monarch many times over the years and consider it to be one of the easier major passes in Colorado. It has adequate opportunities for autos to pass slower moving larger vehicles including our RVs.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:

Well that is remarkably sensible for the government.

But don't you want a road that safer for "large slow moving recreational vehicles"?

From the US50 Blue Canyon project page:

https wrote:
Between 2000 and 2018, 230 crashes have occurred in this area with 67 injuries, 156 instances of property damage, and eight fatalities. This, coupled with the fact it can be hard to negotiate large, slow-moving recreation vehicles and trucks through the canyon, makes the canyon a challenging driving environment for everyone. This project is designed to make the canyon safer and improve the driving experience between Gunnison and Montrose.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
RAS43 wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
Is 50 reopened? I understood it was closed from Gunnison west, except for an hour or so mid afternoon and another short time period in the evening. Check the CDOT site for accurate info.

You may want to drop down to 550 across to Cortez. That's the way we took coming east from Bryce.

Construction has been suspended on US50 until I70 reopens.

Well that is remarkably sensible for the government.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
agesilaus wrote:
Is 50 reopened? I understood it was closed from Gunnison west, except for an hour or so mid afternoon and another short time period in the evening. Check the CDOT site for accurate info.

You may want to drop down to 550 across to Cortez. That's the way we took coming east from Bryce.

Construction has been suspended on US50 until I70 reopens.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Personally I prefer US50 to I70 when towing to Montrose every year. From Denver I70 west is 65 miles of pulling up to the tunnels and then 8 miles downhill to Silverthorne. Then a short fairly level stretch and then uphill to Vail Pass and a hard downhill to Vail. By Labor Day who knows what to expect in Glenwood Canyon. Hopefully it will remain open but with only 3 weeks to make repairs it could only be 1 lane in each direction minimally.
US50 can be reached from Denver on US285. It is mostly 2 lane highway with some pulls out of Denver and then some short pulls 'till Kenosha Pass which I find easy as it is only about a 4 mile pull. Then it is a pretty easy run 'till Poncha Springs where you pick up US50. Then it is 2 lanes until the pull starts up Monarch but there are 2 lanes uphill for much of the pull and and it is only 4-5 miles to the summit I believe. Downhill isn't too hard if geared down.
The only issue with US50 is if they begin the road construction again between Gunnison and Montrose after I70 reopens. If so then they close the road most of the time weekdays and weekends will have heavy traffic.
Since Bryce is your destination I would consider Allworth's suggestion that you consider I80 thru Wyoming and drop into western Colorado to pick up I70 or go into Utah.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Shadow57
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you so much Allworth for the information. This may be a trip that just scares me to death coming and going. We have horseback rides booked in Bryce Canyon, I'm pretty sure by the videos it's not flat. Thankfully we are not taking horses but I get to worry about them at home while trying to enjoy vacation. Also going with a group may help, another couple in a MH and 2 flying. I'm sure there will be some interesting stories to tell after this. I wouldn't want to get on a plane anytime soon. However this seems like a really long trip even before the mudslide and road closure.

Please any info and updates on the road is sure welcome.
2017 Forest River Forester 3051S

2014 Ram DRW 3500 Laramie Crew Cab

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Shadow,

You might not be too happy on 50. Monarch is a long, slow, mountain climb going West to summit and a shorter, steeper, mountain decent once you top-over. Also there may still be some construction delays on 50. I don't know what their schedule is.

There is nothing inherently dangerous about it and there are pullovers to catch your breath. Thousands of RVers do it each year. We prefer it because we avoid Interstates, and it is the easiest way to get to Montrose. We have done it 4 or 5 times in each direction with a 35 foot fiver behind a 3500 Diesel.

If 70 is open, it will be backed up, but an easier drive. Your other option is to go into Utah through Wyoming. Maybe at Vernal. (see Dinosaur NM).

A
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Shadow57
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for posting but the link didn't work for me. We have a trip planned to Bryce Canyon Labor Day coming from Indiana. I don't know which way scares me most driving I-70 if they open it or Hwy 50 as the alternate route. Can anyone enlighten me on how 50 is with a motor home? Or if and when 70 opens and how it is, I'm a little afraid of heights.
2017 Forest River Forester 3051S

2014 Ram DRW 3500 Laramie Crew Cab