Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: Glenwood Canyon I-70 mudslides....!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Glenwood Canyon I-70 mudslides....!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most travelers I reckon have the internet technologies to check and keep abreast of road conditions. And, as may might know, I-70 Colorado in Glenwood Canyon is having some mudslide issues.

It's gonna' be some time before they get it opened again...

This VIDEO from the over the weekend gives and indication of the cleanup required.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/21 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may want to skip to 2:30 in the video. Very lumpy mud they have out there, looks like boulders. Thx for the heads up.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, the actual "mud" begins at about the 2:30 mark.

Prior to that, images show the exit ramp barrier and at about 1:00 begins the flyover showing the scarred chute of where the fire affected this latest hazard.

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/21 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting weather!

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

4runnerguy

Glenwood Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/21 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, kind of stuck here In GWS. We did have to go to Denver to see family that had flown in from NY. Six hours each way over Indy Pass. Huge traffic backups both directions. Normally just over 2 1/2 trip for us on I-70. Hope they appreciated the effort!

Easy to get into restaurants here in town right now. Unfortunate for them, tho.

Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/21 04:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No wonder it’s going to be closed indefinitely… one loader stockpiling material instead of loading it in trucks and removing. The railing on the west bound lanes is broken.

[image]

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

paulj

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/21 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

No wonder it’s going to be closed indefinitely… one loader stockpiling material instead of loading it in trucks and removing. ...

I believe that's called a front-loader, not an excavator. It can't just swing around and dump the rocks into a waiting truck behind it. But then I've never worked in construction ...

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/21 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am somewhat familiar with the Canyon having driven it several dozens of times... and while I agree it is a Gubmint job, me thinks they need to really asses the conditions. A majority of the two lanes each direction have no shoulder. Kinda' tough to have a dump truck and another implement in there to do what most might think would be a more efficient way of doing clean up. I am guessing they are trying to get at least a lane open on each side so that assessment crews can get in to determine the damage to the infrastructure. Clearing the debris is one thing, but there will need to be repairs performed and from what I am hearing it will be several weeks before open to traffic.

I spent some time last night watching the many videos posted and associated it on the googly earth. From what I can tell, this is not one slide. There seems to be 2 or 3 major areas crossing the interstate and at least 2 locations where it is over the railroad.

I watched THIS VIDEO last night which was released by CDOT. It takes the viewer up to the higher points from which soil came. Pretty amazing the potential energy that flowed down!

[image]

paulj

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/21 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colorado Dot and its contractors know how to use front loaders and dump trucks to clear landslides and rock falls.

Colorado dot flickr album

https://youtu.be/vEUhZts__Gg

Other videos show the extend of the damage. It's clear to me that the so-called "stockpiling" photo shows a front loader clearing a lane through the thinnest part of the slide. Videos report 100 people being stranded. So minimal emergency passage was more important than some sort of systematic clearance. With ongoing heavy rain predicted (through tonight), the tractor driver was actually putting himself in some danger.

* This post was edited 08/03/21 07:26pm by paulj *

4runnerguy

Glenwood Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/21 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last I heard they hoped to have one lane open in each direction in a few weeks. They're saying it will be winter before both lanes in both directions are open. Depending of course on further evaluation of the structural damage once more of the debris is cleared away.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Glenwood Canyon I-70 mudslides....!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.