cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Connecticut coast - sites to see, places to stay

bc-00044
Explorer
Explorer
Driving cross country with our TT from Colorado all the way to the poconos later this fall. Want to see some sea-shore action while we are that far east. Was thinking of heading across White Plains to Stamford CT and then drive 95 along the coastline. Suggestions for base camps, beaches, seafood spots, touristy stuff, etc. Probably go as far NE as Mystic. We are in Denver, and really miss the east coast/seashore, so want to make the best of a few day detour before heading back west
8 REPLIES 8

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
If your staying in the Mystic area. a day trip to the Newport RI & the Mansions is worth a day trip. Lots of Pubs and good eats in upscale Newport.

If you can get reservations at https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/rhode-island/narragansett/fishermens-state-park-and-campgr... you will be down the road from the Narragansett beaches, ferry to scenic Block Island. Narrangansett has lots of local charm. Also you are still in range of day trips to everything mentioned on this thread as the campground is central to most everything.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
And, of course, I forgot one....
If any interest, there is the Submarine Museum in Groton (east side of the river from New London. A lot of history there including the Nautilus. I did take my son there years ago.
And another I almost totally forgot.
There is a museum at the US Coast Guard Academy. I know it is small because I was friends with those that assembled it, but I have never been there.
Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
BC,
Mystic Seaport is a museum and while still a good stop, a lot of the summer activities will not continue much after Labor Day. If you do go there, either plan for a really long day or buy the 2-day ticket. There are lots of good restaurants in the actual village - meaning down on Rt-1. Get on the web and read about what is scheduled for when you plan to be there.

The Seaquarium is near the highway, and if you interested, it is a great stop.

Mystic Village is a shopping center, not much more or less.

I used to live 4 houses south of the seaport's south gate. Mom has passed and most of my friends left the area.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

bc-00044
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info -- timing will likely be end of September to mid-October

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
FYI - We were just in the Pocono's a few weeks ago. We went from the Harrisburg, PA area. If your plan is to travel I-81 to I-78/US22 to Route 33 North the last two roads are horrible. We went up that way and came home using I-81 and I-80. Much smoother roads and worth the extra 10 minutes.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
What is your timing? By mid October a lot of campgrounds are closing up for the season.

Be aware that some state parks in Connecticut have limited hookups, most have no hookups (electric, water, septic).

Mystic KOA is a good campground. You have Mystic Seaport and Mystic Village in the area.

Hammonassette State Park has campsites with limited hookups (electric only, with water available to fill tanks) and some campsites are within a stones throw of the beach. I don't know what is available now or will be available, as the park usually fills up during the summer with reservations.

Seafood - right near Hammonassette is Lenny&Joe's, well known seafood place.

Gillette Castle State Park is neat to visit, and there are a bunch of campgrounds in the area.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having done the CT shore by boat I sure don't recall seeing any shoreside CGs.

Loads of multi million dollars homes were seen.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoyed Mistic Seaport. A port village during the peak of the sailing era.