cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air conditioning article

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
A newly posted article on RV air conditioning units, some are DC operated.

AC units
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog
16 REPLIES 16

EYEMLOST
Explorer
Explorer
RKW wrote:
For a certain part of a niche market, namely those with small RVs and a penchant for boondocking, this trend is a game changer. I'm looking forward to how this develops.

It's awesome the article listed a wall-mounted one.

A very possible near future option.:C
1998 FWC Grandby
1994 Ford Bronco 5.0 XL 4X4
Sky's ORD 6" Lift / Sterling 10.25 Dually 5.13 Gear Detroit Locker / '99.5 Front F-350 Leaf Springs at Rear / HMMWVtires

RKW
Explorer
Explorer
For a certain part of a niche market, namely those with small RVs and a penchant for boondocking, this trend is a game changer. I'm looking forward to how this develops.
Ryan

• 2015 Ford F250

• 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8280 WS

• Dual Honda EU2000i Generators

The wages of sin are death; but after they're done taking out taxes, it's just a tired feeling.

EYEMLOST
Explorer
Explorer
c.traveler2 wrote:
A newly posted article on RV air conditioning units, some are DC operated.

AC units

Very interesting article. :thumbs up:
1998 FWC Grandby
1994 Ford Bronco 5.0 XL 4X4
Sky's ORD 6" Lift / Sterling 10.25 Dually 5.13 Gear Detroit Locker / '99.5 Front F-350 Leaf Springs at Rear / HMMWVtires

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
The amps are low, but at a meager 6824 btuโ€™s so is the output, meaning it might be a bit marginal in campers with slide-outs, and snaking #2AWG wires (or larger) up to the roof could be a bit problematic for some, though is also available in 24vโ€ฆStill, a most interesting proposition due the uber efficient whatโ€™s apparently a variable speed inverter compressorโ€ฆHopefully a sign of more things to come, opening up the possibility of true solar sustaining cooling!

3 tons

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
as for the 9200. I have a Lance 1055 its the largest non slide camper lance ever made. I have been out near Vegas when it was 113* and the Polar cub 9200 AC kept us in the Low 70s which is just fine by me and that all I need to run it is a Honda 2000 is another bonus.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is the first time I have read a article directed to RVers that used a fraise like "many truckers use".
Many of them have spent a lot of time using 12V to make life better.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Keytag,

I was invited to write a series of articles on Solar. My reward was the pleasure and being asked to do so.

The article is flawed and could be improved. But it is no less valuable. I've not looked at AC units for some time and to find another couple of DC units is worthwhile.

I do question the swamp cooler. It seems quite pricey for what it is. But then, growing up a bottle of coke was only a dime (or 5 cents at a school dance) makes me frugal.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
Kayteg1 you are being a bit overly negative on the value of this article. Of the 5 units listed, I only was aware of just 2. The other three were options I had no knowledge about and actually find to be very interesting. Sure, it wasn't an in the weeds article that one could geek out on the numbers but I don't think that was the point. Unless you are willing to do the legwork yourself to get the level of detail you want, don't knock others for the effort they put in themselves. Any information is much better than no information.

Also, your first hand experience with the amperage draw though a valuable insight doesn't make the article wrong. Possibly what is happening here is the amperage draw being reported is the starting amperage and that is always higher than the running amperage. Manufacturers have to rate their equipment on what it draws to get it running so it is going to be higher.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
c.traveler2 wrote:

Are you using those Sio2 batteries yet, looks interesting.

valhalla360 suggested the chart.

With covid preventing me from picking them up--and income in a nose dive for the same reason, I'm going to wait a year. I may do massive solar first as well.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
The Dometic Coolaire 2000RTX really looks like the best solution for Truck Campers and will be at the top of my list...

"19.5 amps DC in the Eco mode and 29 amps DC maximum"!!!

https://www.nomadiccooling.com/product-page/dometic-coolair-2000-rtx-12v

That is incredible! Sure, it may not keep up in 120F weather but 100F weather looks like it will be just fine and that is what we experience 99% of the time. Couple this with some good solar and some nice LiFePo4 batteries and you are set for most situations.

Granted the expense of $2800 is a lot more than the RecPro or the Coleman Mach 8 but I think the performance is worth the cost for my personal needs.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:
Thanks for the link.

Mello Mike is one of the good guys imo.

Keytag is right about having a chart. He often offers good advice.

Are you using those Sio2 batteries yet, looks interesting.

valhalla360 suggested the chart.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks for the link.

Mello Mike is one of the good guys imo.

Keytag is right about having a chart. He often offers good advice.
Regards, Don

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
Let's just ignore Keytag

Nice article. It did not seem to intend to be a comparison chart between each unit exactly. It is an article about different AC options for the TC crowd. Good info. Most of these I have not heard of, so now I know.

The DC units intrigue me in that they run without a generator or hookups. Given enough solar and battery you have AC while in the boonies without daily gasoline refills... IT states amp use, but that is when the compressor is running, so the calculation would be based on what % the compressor runs and then how many amps just the fan draws. 300 amps of available battery and 29 amp draw would give 10 hours of use, but in reality the compressor cycles so it could be much more. Enough solar on the roof, the entire roof, and sun and all is good.

I dont have the space on the roof or the desire to deploy ground panels, so maybe the next RV for me....

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
Kayteg1 wrote:
Very lousy job comparing.
RecPro 9.5 is listed as taking 12.6 amp, when actuall measurements are about 1/2 of that
Somebody got paid for promoting certain brands?

Mello Mike is a personal friend of mine and he received NO money for writing this article. So your cry's of "someone got paid" are unfounded and stupid!

The 12.6 amp is directly from REcPro website