cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can I rent your RV?

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
My friend asked me if she and her boyfriend could rent my RV. They are both 60+ and capable. I don't know him, but I know her. She is responsible and I trust her with life's issues, but my immediate thought was "NO!".

I don't owe her any reasoning, but my reasons are the wear and tear on the unit and general risks. This especially applies to the likelihood that something will happen to it while on the road, just as something likely would happen to me while on the road. Then in my mind the RV, our relationship, and my obligation to deal with any issues resulting from their use would ensue.

Your thoughts?
There is something special about camping in an RV.
41 REPLIES 41

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
fill wrote:
And during the COVID era I personally know everyone sleeping in my bed.

LOL Just during COVID? My, what a saucy bunch we RV'ers can be! LOL ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ™‚

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

fill
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely NO!

If she is asking then she doesnโ€™t understand the situation, or the potential for problems.

And during the COVID era I personally know everyone sleeping in my bed.

Fill
โ€™00 Subaru. โ€™08 GoldWing 1800
2012 Roll-A-Home, Eagle 1 trailer
GWRRA, Thousand Trails, IBMC
(Weโ€™ve downsized)

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
My insurance company was VERY specific about not renting, or using the RV for "any business purpose"; or my coverage would immediately be dropped.

Bottom line - nobody takes care of your "stuff" like YOU do. I loaned a pop-up camper to my mom and sister to stay in for the 4-H Fair. I delivered it and set it up for them, eliminating any problems with that. When I went to pick it up - it wasn't damaged, just dirty. I mean FILTHY from dust/mud/hay etc. Took me all day to get it clean again. It was the perfect example for me, of why I would say "no" to anyone else who wanted to borrow any of our RVs.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
She asked to rent it - simply tell her you don't rent it out, but lots of people do on RVShare.com
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
PA12DRVR wrote:

I suspect the VAST majority of "RV used by someone else" situations end up without the slightest hint of trouble, either with the RV or with the relationship.

That's very true. For me, the question is the risk that MY transaction will go bad worth letting a friend use my RV?

If it were just the friend, there are several I'd say yes to. If it were the friend and an unknown person, there is only one I'd say yes to. With the former, I just have to have trust that my friend will treat the RV right. With the latter I have to trust that my friend will also make sure the unknown person will treat my RV right.

Some people just trust that others know what they are doing abd won't keep an eye out to make sure. For me, that increases the risk exponentially.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Grit said "But itโ€™s your decision ultimately, not ours. And everything isnโ€™t doom n gloom. Plenty of RVs get used every day without getting messed up.
The majority of them, Iโ€™d imagine."

I suspect the VAST majority of "RV used by someone else" situations end up without the slightest hint of trouble, either with the RV or with the relationship.

...that being said, in my non-internet life over the past 18 months, I've had 4 matters where an RV rental went bad...2 through an agency, 2 private. Worked on both the lessor and lessee side. Even with an iron-clad contract (not many of those involved), because the RV is someone's pride and joy, any dispute gets magnified beyond what it should. One of my clients complained, a bit, about "I had to pay you about half the money we got from the other guy". My answer of "I wouldn't have even charged you for me to say it was a bad idea if you'd asked me first" didn't really help.

...but in the end, it's the OP's decision.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The answer is NO. Insurance won't cover a commercial transaction.

Even if insurance was not an issue the answer is still no for any & all reasons given above.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
My dad, who was well experienced in sailing, once asked my brother if he could borrow his 37 foot sailboat. Without hesitation, my brother replied, "Sorry, Dad, I don't loan out my wife, and I don't loan out my boat."
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I have a couple of friends and relatives who use rv trailers for camping/horse show events/rodeo/etc that have the experience and know how to safely use a RV and pull it.
A stranger....no way.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Explorer
Explorer
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
No.
I NEVER loan or otherwise let people use things of mine, best friend or not.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
When pigs fly. Iโ€™ve got enough problems as it is

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
rlw999 wrote:
If they just want to go RV'ing someplace for a trip to try the RV lifestyle or something like that, another option would be for you to drive it there for them. I'd have no qualms about letting friends or family stay in the RV after I drive it there and set it up, I just wouldn't want to hand them the keys and send them on their way.

This I might consider.

Handing them the keys to the truck, pointing them to the trailer and then walking away...no.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
There are companies that rent RV's -- leave it to them.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress