cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wastewater Tote & Fresh Water Containers - Do you use them?

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
With the smaller holding tanks of the 2011 Outback 250RS (37 gal fresh and 30 gal each (Black and Gray), I was considering carrying a "Honey Wagon" tote for black and gray...... and freshwater containers (Ex. Igloo 5gal water containers) for carrying extra fresh water? Do any of you do this?

My Outback 250RS is new to me (maiden voyage later this summer when it begins to cool down). We camp three adults (80% of time) and 4 the other 20%. We like state parks which usually do not have dumps at sites but do have a dump station within the park. We also stay at campgrounds with full hooks when available (wife's preference). Wife does not like using campground restrooms/showers, if they can be avoided.

Also, if you have a model with rear slide out (ex. my Outback), how/where do you carry the tote? I already installed a BAL under frame spare tire carrier so no more room for another under frame carrier.

Are they worth the hassle? Is the hassle equal to or less than breaking down RV and driving over to dump site?

What do you do?

Thanks!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
35 REPLIES 35

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a 5 gallon fresh jug. Sometimes I need the extra when camping, but sometimes I cannot fill up the camper, but filling a portable jug is almost always doable. Try to find a water hose in California.... Hard to do, but there are lots of places to fill a jug and nobody seems to care about a jug as opposed to a goliath RV

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
This past summer I invested in fresh tank because we have been increasing our boondock camping. I was ready to buy the larger 65 gallon bladder but because I camp with 3 kids and tons of bikes, fishing poles, and other kids things loaded into the bed of the truck, I was concerned about puncture. So instead I went with a hard side 35 gallon tank from tractor supply and an $11 drill pump. Used it 3 times so far and it worked fantastic. Takes me about 10-15 minutes to pump 35 gallons into my tank. My wife and daughters love it because they can now take "real showers" when we do boondocks weekends LOL

LG61820
Explorer
Explorer
Fall 2019 I took my T@b 320 to a full hookup campground to work a contract in that city. The camper was winterized.

I used the campground showers and toilets.

I used my water hookup to fill gallon jugs to use for dishwashing and handwashing. I used the sewer hookup to dump the gray water.

I was there for about 4 months and found it no problem to live that way. Of course, I was solo camping. Might have been a little problem if I had a companion or a child or two with me.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
ktmrfs wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
mkenyon2 - my folding trailer has only a 20 gallon fresh water tank. And due to the placement of the horizontal intake, it loses about 2 gallons while driving down the road.

So, I carry aquatainers to refill while at the campground.

Like you, I realized a funnel wouldn't work. So I got a Beer Bong Funnel with Valve from Amazon. It takes an extra pair of hands or something to hold it against the side of the trailer, but it works. I can pour the water from the aquatainer into the funnel and refill the tank.

my solution on two trailers I have. I installed a RV water pump in thep pass through wired into 12V with a switch. Inlet is a dip tube for the auqua container, outlet is plumbed into the fresh water fill. Flip the switch, empty the container, repeat. If you don't have a dedicated place for a pump, just make a plywood mounting board with flexible plumbing and a jumper cord.

Best part about that is if your water pump fails you've got a ready spare 😃

Long long Honeymoon had their water pump fail while boondocking in Tetons, no RV store for many hours. They got lucky and a friend happened to be nearby and had a spare on them. For me I bought a new quieter pump to replace my factory unit, but in now going to throw that under the bed in case the new one fails at some point.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
mkenyon2 - my folding trailer has only a 20 gallon fresh water tank. And due to the placement of the horizontal intake, it loses about 2 gallons while driving down the road.

Like you, I realized a funnel wouldn't work. So I got a Beer Bong Funnel with Valve from Amazon. It takes an extra pair of hands or something to hold it against the side of the trailer, but it works. I can pour the water from the aquatainer into the funnel and refill the tank.

my solution on two trailers I have. I installed a RV water pump in thep pass through wired into 12V with a switch. Inlet is a dip tube for the auqua container, outlet is plumbed into the fresh water fill. Flip the switch, empty the container, repeat. If you don't have a dedicated place for a pump, just make a plywood mounting board with flexible plumbing and a jumper cord.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkenyon2 wrote:
I'll post my little story here.

Last month we did a trial run 1 week camping trip, 1st time with a non-popup TT with plumbing. I bought a honey wagon cause I didn't want to have to move mid-trip. I figured I'd fill the fresh when I got to the campground (State Park here in PA).

I was behind schedule and didn't see the fresh fill up where I thought it would be, so I figured I'd use my backup plan. 5 gal fresh tote w/ a funnel.

... I'll wait for y'all to stop laughing...

Inlet for the fresh tank is horizontal. Did you all know that? I didn't. Funnel wouldn't work.

Stubborn as I am, I still didn't want to move the trailer. (There were other issues with that.) So I hit the local Wallyworld for a pump. And picked up a little hand pump.

Long story short, over the week I filled our 40gal fresh tank twice by hand pump and 5 gal tote. My arms and shoulders hurt for a week.

PS. The honey wagon was used once and worked fine.

When I first got my Pop-up, the gospel according to internet declared my camper could not be used unless I had a)enough water containers to capture the total capacity of fresh tank as grey. b)a way to refill the FW tank. c)a place to dump porta-potty every day.
For (a) I bought 4 water containers, and lines so when each got full the overflow would fill next jug. (b) bought a collapsible water container, and a long plastic funnel. Then I cut and welded on that funnel until it would stick in the fill, line thru loops would hook to trailer to hold opening flat. (c)made a bag with handles to hide that tank when carried into a toilet.
Then I used the camper. (c)If we are going to stay more than 3 days, dump after 2 days. 3 has always fit, but. (Still carry that bag, have never used it as designed) (b)I gave the funnel to a young couple that was struggling to get water into their tank. The jug is still in trailer. I sometimes fill it, and use water out of it, because it is easier to fill the percolator I use for water heater out of jug. (a) after a year, with 3 of the jugs never used, I gave 1, marked grey, as a popup warming present. 1 mounted on tool truck, to replace bucket washing hands. (5 gal bucket half full, with brush and bottle of soap floating in it. Water replaced when I remembered how dirty it is) The last I put on table near the hydrant in truck lot. Sun shining on jug warmed wash water some.

mkenyon2
Explorer
Explorer
I'll post my little story here.

Last month we did a trial run 1 week camping trip, 1st time with a non-popup TT with plumbing. I bought a honey wagon cause I didn't want to have to move mid-trip. I figured I'd fill the fresh when I got to the campground (State Park here in PA).

I was behind schedule and didn't see the fresh fill up where I thought it would be, so I figured I'd use my backup plan. 5 gal fresh tote w/ a funnel.

... I'll wait for y'all to stop laughing...

Inlet for the fresh tank is horizontal. Did you all know that? I didn't. Funnel wouldn't work.

Stubborn as I am, I still didn't want to move the trailer. (There were other issues with that.) So I hit the local Wallyworld for a pump. And picked up a little hand pump.

Long story short, over the week I filled our 40gal fresh tank twice by hand pump and 5 gal tote. My arms and shoulders hurt for a week.

PS. The honey wagon was used once and worked fine.
MK and my Wifey from PA
TV: 2011 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD (V6 3.5L/213)
Trailer: 2013 Heartland Trail Runner 25 SLE

We've only camped in 2 states? Quick, pack the trailer we have to CAMP!

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
we carry the 7 gallon fresh cans when we are going to campgrounds w/o water hookups. With a 35 gallon black tank, no need for a "blue boy" for the black tank. 35 gallons will last us at least two weeks. And 70 gallons of grey also will last several weeks. It's the 40 gallon fresh that needs an occasion refill
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Isn't that part of the camping experience? I love coming home and taking that nice long shower afterwards.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
jesseannie wrote:
Showering is over rated.
Keeps the neighbors far away no need for covid masks.

Jesseannie

Actually, I don't shower a lot when I'm camping. I'm often at the lake and why would I need to shower when I was just swimming in the water. ( Some people freak out when I say that lol) And, I sometimes just take a Sponge Bath when I'm out camping. It depends on what I have been doing and what I plan on doing after that. No use getting all gussied up if the next morning I'm just going to go fishing and get all dirty again right away.

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
Showering is over rated.
Keeps the neighbors far away no need for covid masks.

Jesseannie

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a small fresh water tote ( a 5 gallon jug) to keep my small fresh water tank filled. I don't fill up my waste tanks. I am just a weekend camper and by being frugal I have never managed to completely fill up the tanks. I've been close a time or two though.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I use a 275 gallon IBC tote for additional freshwater.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST