Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Wastewater Tote & Fresh Water Containers - Do you use them?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Wastewater Tote & Fresh Water Containers - Do you use them?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Baja Man

Inland Empire, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/21 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the smaller holding tanks of the 2011 Outback 250RS (37 gal fresh and 30 gal each (Black and Gray), I was considering carrying a "Honey Wagon" tote for black and gray...... and freshwater containers (Ex. Igloo 5gal water containers) for carrying extra fresh water? Do any of you do this?

My Outback 250RS is new to me (maiden voyage later this summer when it begins to cool down). We camp three adults (80% of time) and 4 the other 20%. We like state parks which usually do not have dumps at sites but do have a dump station within the park. We also stay at campgrounds with full hooks when available (wife's preference). Wife does not like using campground restrooms/showers, if they can be avoided.

Also, if you have a model with rear slide out (ex. my Outback), how/where do you carry the tote? I already installed a BAL under frame spare tire carrier so no more room for another under frame carrier.

Are they worth the hassle? Is the hassle equal to or less than breaking down RV and driving over to dump site?

What do you do?

Thanks!

2003 Ford F-350 XLT Super Duty, Crew Cab, V10 (6.8L); 4X2; Standard Bed; SRW; 4R100 trans
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/21 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, they're worth the hassle.

I prefer using a macerator pump to a tank in the truck bed, rather than towing a wastewater tote on the ground - dump stations aren't always close by, and terrain not always suitable for pulling those totes along. I started off with a 42g Barker tote with pneumatic tires.

I had Husky Portable Containment build me a custom 95g freshwater bladder and a 165g wastewater bladder, that were configured to sit side by side in the free space in my truck bed at the time. And after trying out several pumps, I ended up with a Sanicon Turbo permanently attached to the rig and camlock fittings on 25' of 1.5" layflat hose. That setup made short work of pumping out, then I could just take the pickup to the dump station and empty it with the conventional 3" hose. The bladder, regardless of how you choose to fill it, takes up a lot less room stored than the tote.

[image]

For what it's worth, I use a Milwaukee transfer pump for the freshwater side, and with that much water, carry a little pressure washer with me that you can see in the photo.

We also have an off-the-shelf 45g bladder for freshwater and a few collapsible 5g jugs for our truck camper. And a composting toilet that lets us combine the grey and black tanks for 83g of grey capacity. Lots of ways to go about it.

* This post was edited 08/03/21 06:10pm by n0arp *

2021 Ram 5500 Limited 84CA Cummins 4x4 w/ flatbed
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad)
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh

mleekamp

Washington, IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/21 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we had our Travel Trailer (40 gal fresh, 30 gal grey, 20 gal blk) I always carried wastewater tote and freshwater jug. Used the tote once to drain some grey. Used the FW Jug many times to add 5 or 6 gals of water for our last nite or so. Came in handy. But our kids were smaller and, well, needed baths more.

Today, in our Class C (43 gal fresh, 41 grey, 32 blk), I only carry the FW Jug. Why? I gave both jugs to the new owner of our TT, and only replaced the FW jug. Worked hard not to need the tote. But then, mostly we camp at places with hookups since we try to stay longer and "tour" or explore the area.

Our plan is when we are at a state park or other for several nites w/ only electric, we do a navy bath (wet wash rag, soap, then rinse with water from shower or usually just another clean wet rag). Not perfect but works for a nite or 2.

BTW, we opted for a hitch mounted spare tire carrier (our hitch is attached to the frame, not thin tube bumper). Would have loved the BAL under frame carrier but went this way. Can still tow a toad or what not.

2019 Jayco Redhawk 29XK Class C, Ford V10 E450 with Roadmaster Hitch Mounted Spare Tire holder, Bigfoot Hydraulic Leveling

mleekamp

Washington, IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/21 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

n0arp, sounds like nice set up. We don't have a truck anymore but I'll keep this in mind if we go back to a TT or want to upgrade our setup now. With only 3 weeks a year we can do heavy touring, what we got works for now!

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/21 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you get a tote remember that water is 8.2 pounds per gallon. Twenty gallon tote will weigh 164 pounds+ full.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/21 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

21 gallons of fresh drinking water in 6 cross linked containers

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/21 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My trailer has a cassette toilet and a 20gal fresh tank and 20gal grey. I got a 6gal grey tote and 4 2.5gal aquatainers. They are light enough full that I can tote them across a campground. They store easily inside the camper when traveling and then I store them underneath it while at camp.

I do use the campground facilities as much as possible. 20 gallons fresh water doesn't get you many showers.

As my trailer is a folding trailer, using a tote is a lot easier than having to put everything away for travel, drop the roof, hitch up, tow to the dump, and then relevel, unhitch, raise the roof and get comfortable again.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

corvettekent

Marysville, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/21 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use to carry two 6 gallon Aqua containers but now I use a 40 gallon fresh water tank in the truck and pump the water to the trailer. For gray water I use three 5 gallon orange buckets with lids. My black tank is 45 gallons and will last a couple weeks then we take the trailer to the dump station.

2007.5 GMC Dually EC/LB, LMM. Banks IQ, Speed Brake, Six Gun. B&W Turnover Ball, Companion Hitch, Amp power steps. Hadley Air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT and four 6 volt batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/21 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been doing it for years but the 30 gal black tank would last us 4 days.
The fresh water tank required daily filling when the kids were aboard.

Just the wife and I now and still much prefer state parks and for week long trips, simply throw the waste tote in back of truck.

Our 2020 Outback 252urs has 60 gal fresh water tank and always leave the house with it full so for a 3 day trip, don't have to carry any totes.

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/21 11:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I was going to need it I carried a 25 gallon black water tote in the truck bed when I had an 18 foot TT, the black tank was only 20 gallons.

My current TT is 28 feet and I have never needed it. The black holding tank is 40 gallons. I have used the 25 gallon for grey water with a portable sink at events I have attended and did some cooking for my group.

For extra fresh water I have several square Reliance Aqua Tainers in 4 and 7 gallon, 3 - 15 gal white poly drums and a 50 gallon white poly tank. Carried the 50 gallon tank or 15 gallon barrels in the truck bed and Aqua Tainers in the truck bed or inside the TT's.

If I tent camped I would take which ever containers I would need in the truck bed or 5x8 utility trailer I took along, including gas cans, including an 11 gallon black tote and porta potty.

All depended on what I needed or thought I might need.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Wastewater Tote & Fresh Water Containers - Do you use them?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.