cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda / Westinghouse companion

rickhise
Explorer
Explorer
Can you companion operate these 2 generators.
Honda an Westinghouse?
13 REPLIES 13

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you ask the manufacturers they will always say "Same Same Only"
NOt only do not mix a Honda with a ____
But do not mix a 2000 with a 1000 (Though people do it often)
or to be more general an x000 with y000

I'd listen to the folks doing it. I would not recommend it (liability reasons) But I'd listen to the folks doing it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1 wrote:
The good thing about YouTube is you can actually see something done, and running. Then you can make your own assumption..
Yep. Works for me.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Youtube knows everything.

The good thing about YouTube is you can actually see something done, and running. Then you can make your own assumption. Like the saying goes "Seeing is believing." These videos I saw about pairing different generators pretty much validate what can be done, unlike someone here saying it can or can't be done.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
3 tons wrote:
With Honda, to parallel it appears you have to use their โ€˜companionโ€™ generator, and according to the manual, paralleling a 2200 to a 2000 is not allowedโ€ฆ Personally, I have zero interest in putting at risk my pricy 2200 via an off-brand parallel experiment, but hey thats just me ๐Ÿ™‚

3 tons
No, you can use any of their generators. I have, including a 2200 with 2 2000s. Now I'm doing two 2200s and a 1000. It all works, provided it's all Honda. Pairing with another brand.. dk.

But hey, it's the internet, so don't trust me.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
With Honda, to parallel it appears you have to use their โ€˜companionโ€™ generator, and according to the manual, paralleling a 2200 to a 2000 is not allowedโ€ฆ Personally, I have zero interest in putting at risk my pricy 2200 via an off-brand parallel experiment, but hey thats just me ๐Ÿ™‚

3 tons

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
"If it's on the internet, it must be true"
I took that as a good reminder to be cautious of claims on the internet. Too many people post their best guess or opinion as fact.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
If they are both inverter generators there's a chance it could work ok. There's also a chance of damaging one or both of them. If somebody else has actually paralleled the exact models you're thinking of, your risk is greatly reduced. Since the Honda generators have a higher normal output voltage than most others, I'd expect the Honda to carry almost all the load until it approaches its maximum output, then the other generator would carry the additional load. This unless the Westinghouse generator is also on the high side, output-voltage-wise.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are a few YouTube videos showing exactly what you are asking. They seem to work just fine.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
I would think like manufacturing only

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
rickhise wrote:
Can you companion operate these 2 generators.
Honda an Westinghouse?

Most will say no, including the manufacturers.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes