cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof reseal options

RKW
Explorer
Explorer
My RV is 7 years old and could use to have a complete caulking job on the roof for the front cap, back seam, and all vents, antenna, and the bathroom skylight. I've done a complete job before on my first RV, but that was over 20 years ago. Physically, there is no way I want to attempt that now. Here is where I'm going with this: I cringe to think of the cost of this if I took it to a dealer shop and had an RV tech do it and was charged the going per hour rate. Most shops are $130.00/hour and up. Don't get me wrong here. Overall, a certified RV tech is worth every penny he earns. There is a very wide range of expertise they must possess. But not all RV work is complicated and/or technical. Some jobs are simple, but labor intensive.

Here is my question. Are there companies or outfits that specialize in resealing an RV that charge rates that are somewhat commensurate with the simplicity of the job?

Thanks.
Ryan

• 2015 Ford F250

• 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8280 WS

• Dual Honda EU2000i Generators

The wages of sin are death; but after they're done taking out taxes, it's just a tired feeling.
13 REPLIES 13

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Ryan.....

Perhaps we can chat via PM.....I'm planning a trip up the 4 Corners region later this summer and could use some intel. Fly Fishing the San Juan is my plan!

Thanks!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Ryan--
I just did this job a few weeks ago. I, too, was reluctant to climb on the roof. I decided to use ladders (step and extendable type like Little Giant) and placed them along the sides and rear as I went all around the trailer. I have a shop nearby and the guys are great about sharing advice. They do excellent work but charge $120/hr...doesn't matter the type of work.

The plan as suggested by shop....

1. Day 1: Clean all caulking areas to be caulked with Dicor Roof Cleaner. I used a spray bottle and cleaned with micro fiber rags. Remove any loose pieces of caulking but no need to scrape off old caulk.

2. Day 2: Use Dicor self-leveling caulk (verify which roof you have and follow manufacturer's recs). I believe Dicor SL sealant is suitable for EPDM, TPO, and roofing materials. My roof is EPDM. Apply caulk, with an approx. bead of 1/4", to all areas where cracking is noticed. ALL old caulking does not have to be covered with new caulk; only areas where caulk has cracked and water can enter. It's pretty straightforward and not difficult.

3. 2-3 weeks later....wash roof with Dicor roof cleaner and medium soft RV brush.
Next day after roof has dried, I applied a Roof Treatment. It keeps the roof membrane conditioned, protected from UV rays, and prevents roof from drying out.

The area I was unable to reach by ladder, was the center vent. Since I want to install a Fantastic Fan in this vent, I did not clean/caulk, as the entire vent will be removed for new Fantastic fan. ALL other items were reachable by ladder (bathroom vent, roof vents, refer vent, TV antenna, front and rear seams). I was even able to install a new Vortex II fan and a Maxx Air II cover at bathroom vent.

Si Se Puede!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
While my TT is only 7.5 feet wide, Jim, I do it all from a sturdy ladder.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Jim-Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Another product you might look at to clean roof. OUTDOOR MIRACAL is sold at Lowes, HD and others. It is in a container with water hose connection. Wet portion of roof that you can reach with a long handle brush, turn on dispense, let sit for a short time, scrub with brush, rinse. You can do entire roof from ladder, not getting on roof. You will need to either rinse well or wash sides where residue from roof comes off.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
SJ-Chris wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me to hear that a Mobile RV repair guy charges MORE than a shop. Let us know what you find out.

We've found them to almost always be cheaper...plus you don't have to drag the trailer to the shop and back.

But yeah, if you can find a responsible teen or handyman, it's not rocket science.

I wouldn't take a pressure washer to the roof though. A soft bristle brush with lots of soap and water...the material isn't that tough and a careless pressure washing can do a lot of damage. It doesn't have to be pretty. You just want to remove loose material that could mess with the bond.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I'd look for a handyman. I've known a few of them that did good work on their own RVs. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes and almost fun using a long handle paint roller and/or sponge mop after proper cleaning of the roof. I used Dicor white liquid roof with excellent results and others have used Hengs also with great results. White like new.

RKW
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Chris
Ryan

• 2015 Ford F250

The wages of sin are death; but after they're done taking out taxes, it's just a tired feeling.

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
RKW wrote:
Thanks guys. I'm also considering calling some "mobile" RV repair guys and asking for estimates/bids. I would think they'd charge less than a shop but would still have knowledge of the do's and don't in a reseal job.

It wouldn't surprise me to hear that a Mobile RV repair guy charges MORE than a shop. Let us know what you find out.

It really is a straightforward, simple job. Basically painting in an environment where you a)Don't need to be incredibly detailed/accurate, and b)Nobody else is ever really going to even see (...your roof)!

I would suggest using painter's tape to tape around your edges that might be visible from the ground so that you don't get paint (Dicor) where you don't want it. Other than that, it's really easy.

I just picked up another RV and the roof needs to be resealed. Now that I've done it before (twice), I know it will only take me 4-5 hours total.

Side note: It is oddly satisfying to have a beautiful, clean, white rooftop!

Let us know how it goes.
-Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve used Hengโ€™s for years. Easy to apply. Many use a roller. I like a brush.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

RKW
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. I'm also considering calling some "mobile" RV repair guys and asking for estimates/bids. I would think they'd charge less than a shop but would still have knowledge of the do's and don't in a reseal job.
Ryan

• 2015 Ford F250

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like Chris says. Even a relatively responsible teenager that pays attention to detail (look at the kid's car) could do this job.

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
RKW wrote:
My RV is 7 years old and could use to have a complete caulking job on the roof for the front cap, back seam, and all vents, antenna, and the bathroom skylight. I've done a complete job before on my first RV, but that was over 20 years ago. Physically, there is no way I want to attempt that now. Here is where I'm going with this: I cringe to think of the cost of this if I took it to a dealer shop and had an RV tech do it and was charged the going per hour rate. Most shops are $130.00/hour and up. Don't get me wrong here. Overall, a certified RV tech is worth every penny he earns. There is a very wide range of expertise they must possess. But not all RV work is complicated and/or technical. Some jobs are simple, but labor intensive.

Here is my question. Are there companies or outfits that specialize in resealing an RV that charge rates that are somewhat commensurate with the simplicity of the job?

Thanks.

Resealing a roof, provided it doesn't have underlying leak/bubbling issues already, is a relatively easy job. I've done it on a couple of RVs myself. If you can paint a bedroom in your house, you can probably reseal your roof. Here is a pretty good description of my project:
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30201452.cfm

I see that in your post you mention physically you don't want to do the job yourself. Understood. That is probably the one barrier to doing this task as it does require you getting up on your roof, pressure washing, etc and maybe you don't want to do that.

Possible solution: Find someone else who is reasonable to do the task for you. Perhaps even a Handyman can do the job and their rate would be MUCH lower than an RV tech. Maybe a painter could do the task for you. Perhaps the son or daughter of one of your friends or neighbors might be interested. The job involves about 3-4 hours of prep one day (including pressure washing), and then 3-4 hours on another day to seal the roof with a few coats and paint over all the seals. In total, it might be 8-10 hours of someone's time. You can probably find someone to do it for $20-40/hr which means it will cost you ~$200-$400 in labor (....instead of $1000-1500 at the RV shop).

Hope this helps!
Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs