cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Engine blew white smoke died then generator

buystockinfun
Explorer
Explorer
Well, everything was running fine with this Cummins ISX15 525hp when we stopped on a grade (3% maybe) for one way traffic. Suddenly the eng idled badly and it blew a bunch of white smoke and died. No temp issues etc. I tried to start the generator and it blew white smoke ran for a few seconds and died. Now neither will start.

Only common thing I think is fuel. It's diesel ran a full tank down to 3/4ish no issues. Roadmaster chasis. No sure what's going on. Stick on a hill in the middle of nowhere and completely screwed. Help
26 REPLIES 26

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
The 12V grid heater which heats the intake air is automatic. The 120V block heater is manual and can take many hours to warm a engine and mine does plug in while some can be activated for the cab.

Yup, two unrelated items.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The 12V grid heater which heats the intake air is automatic. The 120V block heater is manual and can take many hours to warm a engine and mine does plug in while some can be activated for the cab.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
The heater turns itself on, nothing to plug in. Used instead of glow plugs.
-jbh-

buystockinfun
Explorer
Explorer
Ya re starting fluid, I won't be using it. This RV place that sold this thing said that you can use it sometimes but the same idiots who didn't go through this and have left me completely stranded the entire trip basically.

Drifting off topic slightly but I was wondering how these engines start without glow plugs or something like that maybe it's the heater in the intake? At what temperature do you have to plug the thing in or preheat it in some way before you start it? With glow plugs or whatever D
Ram now has in their 6.7 I have no problem starting it in freezing weather.
But wondering how this ISX15 starts in cold weather if you're not somewhere where you can plug it in (besides plugging it in with an extension cord and running the generator but then how does the generator start in cold weather does that have glow plugs I don't know that either LOL that one is an Onan 12.5 KW which is basically cummins right).

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ethanol gasoline is hardly relevent to the diesel topic however. Alcohol added to diesel is however.

Bob

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Note that using starting fluid in a Cummins engine can result in a very bad day involving the fire department, ambulance etc. There's a heater in the intake.
-jbh-

buystockinfun
Explorer
Explorer
In my vodka bottle?

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
True story. There used to be a fuel company who advertised "You can trust...."(Description of their company shirt).

(SIC)

One of their stations got caught topping off their tanks.... with a garden hose.

Unfortunately the modern version of that story is topping off the tanks with ethanol.

Google how much corn liquor the US produces now versus a couple of years ago.

Guess where all that extra production is going?

buystockinfun
Explorer
Explorer
These are interesting stories...

I put in Clear Diesel fuel and tank cleaner by Power Services as well as Bio Kleen. The instructions say how much to use for shocking it basically. I called the company and they said using extra doesn't help in any you're better off using it for a second treatment. I added it to the tank and then filled up the fuel tank. You're supposed to wait 8 hours and then run it. I had to get moving so I drove 200 Miles with it in it. Doesn't hurt to drive on it they say but it reduces the amount of treatment at least in the tank section that's not got fuel in it anymore so topping it off would treat the whole tank versus 200 miles that say you lose 25 gallons or 15% of the tank therefore you lose the treatment on that portion but still the rest of the tank is being treated the whole time as well as maybe the fuel lines I guess and even the new filter and fuel filter.

I did not change the fuel filter because from what I hear the water separator is the first filter even though it's not a true filter apparently the particular matter of this algae get stuck in that filter that's the primary one. I have no doubt the fuel filter is at least somewhat compromised but I was able to get it started and I was not in a position to be able to remove a fuel filter way up under the engine. I was lucky enough to be able to and remove this water separator. Usually there are much tighter but I didn't have a fuel filter and I needed to get down the road. The new separator made the engine run great so I was able to drive it with the fuel filter that was already on it.

I might have mentioned I blew out the generator filter this was mainly just a test to see if it would even start and I know using compressed air isn't ideal but it would be okay for a test start anyway I mean even coming recommended or said that I could use starting fluid as long as you didn't use it very much. I will probably never use starting fluid on a diesel engine. Someone told me I could run ATF in the filter but might need to use starting fluid to start it well I'd rather not do that instead I was able to prime the pump with the help of one of the people that was actually on the highway crew working on the one lane road.

The reason I didn't change the fuel filter was I just didn't have one and I was stuck in the middle of nowhere. I now have a fuel filter and I purchased an additional fuel filter and several additional water separators. So far I drove that 200 miles and it ran fine on the new water separator. It's my understanding I will probably need to replace a filter again apparently doesn't remove the sludge like chlorine would in a pool but it gets it off the tank surface and then it ends up in the filter still. That kind of contradicts what the company advertisement for one of the products of the two I mentioned says that it allows it to eliminate water and contaminants like sludge without clogging the filter so I don't know how it does that if it doesn't eat it for example but according to that company that sells this stuff I may need to replace the filters which contradicts what they say about not needing to by using it LOL but either way I've got extra filters for when it starts to act stupid. I need to run this tank out and then when I get somewhere for an overnight I will put enough additive for another shock and then fill the tank and then let it sit overnight basically like 8 hours like they say. I have a feeling the other filter had this problem before I bought it I drove 2000 miles before it completely plugged it and it was probably already partially plugged and I didn't know it. The deal are supposedly changed the filter but they lied. At any rate the rate of clogging is probably higher when you put this attitude so I fully anticipate having to replace it again.

Is the generator filter I found one that I have not changed yet cuz I haven't had to run it in fact I'm not going to try to run the generator and replace the filter if at all possible until I run a few tanks of this cleaner in because then I may not even need to replace the filter after I put the new one in having just blown it out with compressed air and it working right now. But again I'm not running the generator if I can help it until I burn through a tank or two of the cleaner. As long as I'm staying hooked up at night then maybe I can only waste one filter the one that was already in there and the new one won't be affected.

see what happens with all this but I have been able to actually drive it and start the generator and obviously the engine is running on the RV after doing the above so hopefully this helps somebody else with a similar problem.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^I can't even figure out how to reply to this BS as related to the OP's plea for help.^^^^^^^^^^^

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
True story. There used to be a fuel company who advertised "You can trust...."(Description of their company shirt).

One of their stations got caught topping off their tanks.... with a garden hose.

I had a car that could burn dang near anything it did not need 87 80 was good enough.. it ran very poorly on that stations product... I stopped going there.

Page 2: My Advice Sir, Get De-ICer.. Well that's the brand I burned, till the company was sold and ... not so pleased with the new owners.

De-Icer by the way was HEET gasline antifreeze as it turns out the delivery driver addded it after he filled the storage tanks.

My Daughter's Godfather went to a local "independent" and he laughed at how much more I was paying for "Name brand" gas... Till the water in his tank got high enough to bust his fuel pump and I had to tow his ride to the shop.

Page 3, another De-Icer
Ham was having a problem with his car, Ran for like half a mile then stalled, then re-started and another half mile... Yup. Gas Line Freezup. I was discussing it with another ham who was helping him and the other ham "Well what do you do about it" (Note I had that problem with the First story car)

I told him about gas line antifreeze. Where do you get it "Gas stations and hardware stores.. Paint stores sell it under a different name (It's denatured alcohol. Shellac Thinner)

The troubled ham was stalling out... In front of a hardware
He went in, bought a can, dumped it in, and drove home no further problems. Returned the next day and bought a case of the stuff.

Water in fuel is an issue with Pure Gasoline, or Diesel
The new E-10.... it's not so big an issue... Why.. E= Ethel Alcohol.. that is Denatured alcohol or gas line antifreeze.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
The engine and transmission talk to each other. They protect each other.

You can get all kinds of strange problems with clogged filters. I may have missed it but you said you had not changed the regular fuel filter yet.

If not, why not?

Have you put algae cleaner in the tank? A huge load of algae could take a bit of work to clean.

I carry two sets of fuel filters on board at all times and a syphon hose to pull fuel out of the tank for priming the filters if needed. Follow the directions on the side of the filter for filling.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Another option, particularly if you are near a marine area is to have a FUEL POLISHER clean the tank. Very effective at removing most of the water and algae.

Also, add a biocide such as BIOBAR JF.

Running on restricted fuel flow CAN damage your fuel injection system as well as cause performance issues.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Water in the tank can be from the fuel station and condensation. Condensation is a result of daily temperature changes and warm fuel returned from the engine. Always fill the tank before storage to reduce condensation. Use fuel conditioners to help control your problems.

Give serious consideration to having your tank fuel cleaned.

Bob