cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

slow toilet leak

scotty46
Explorer
Explorer
It seems that the inside of the toilet bowl has a very slow leak. Is it a big deal to replace the rubber seal or is it best to take to the dealer?
7 REPLIES 7

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Should have asked what make and model of toilet.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

chast
Explorer
Explorer
I second the motion for using silicone grease. Just make sure the seal and the knife blade are dry before applying a liberal amount of silicone grease to both. I have used this method for years and it saves a lot of work and expense.
chartrue2@aol.com

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
Last time I looked the seal was around $10. Not hard to replace, just look at your toilet's owner's manual for directions. If its a decent quality dometic thats in good shape otherwise its usually worth the time to fix. If its an old plastic creaking special I always upgrade to a 310 or 320 model. Walmart sells the 310 for $199.99.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
As said, a thorough cleaning is a good start. I've also used vinegar to flush as per a suggestion on here. It seemed to help,
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I've yet to master the revitalization of flush ball seals, always had to replace them especially when the kids didn't understand the concept of keeping water in the bowl.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Before replacing clean the seal and lube it with plumbers silicone grease.. Don't use anything petroleum based!
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Thetford toilets with the blade may only need to have the grove cleaned out.
You can make one out of old metal coat hanger.
Bent screwdriver

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker