cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing a Dometic (A&E) awning Weather Pro controller

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I'm posting this on the odd chance that someone else has faced the same situation. My Dometic awning controller, which is Part No. 3307917.001 is no longer in production and I, in a desperate move, found and purchased part 3307930.002, which also no longer produced, is identical internally except there is one extra brown and white wire in the 330930.002 that didn't exist in the old existing controller. The wiring harness is quite different but I can dispose of this and and use the old wiring harness, less the brown and white wire. The internal appearance of he 930 looks exactly the same.

I have no idea what the brown and white wire does but I'm hoping it won't interfere with the controller performing just like the 3330917.01 did. If anyone has an answer I would appreciate it very much.

I tried to get some help from the coach manufacturer, Tiffin and got a promise from their tech to call me back if they can find anything. I plan to keep trying to get some help before installing this replacement but if all else fails I'll install it without using the one brown and white wire pray for the best. This 3307930.002 is also out of production and came without any wiring details, although it was unused. I was lucky to find this one. Don't know what's next if it doesn't work.
8 REPLIES 8

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
In case anyone followed this thread, I found a used awning motor and replaced mine. I have run the awning in and out several times without any further problems. I spent a lot more time and money than I wanted to but finally put the problem to bed (hopefully).

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I would say the motor is probably the problem since it is somewhere between $350 and $500. I will not sell to RV to anyone, knowing the motor is bad. When I purchased it I relied on the status because of a mutual friendship. I was wrong to trust the seller. There were numerous water leaks and leveler problems. The seller claimed he couldn't lower the jacks because the lot owner didn't allow it. He assured there were no problems but Tiffin had records of many problems. That was on me. I don't even want to add up all the expenses I have incurred.

The coach will be in better shape for the next owner.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
OK, the standard OLD style (page 5 on the manual) was notorious for false operation. If it got wet, awning retracted. IF the COM cable was a little bit too long (18 foot or shorter) the system failed to function correctly. If the modular connection got corroded, it failed. So, I am telling you to remove the cable or turn the toggle OFF for the wind sensor. They dropped that sensor and went to another type and controller that the sensor is on top the front awning arm. Now, your problem---odds are the motor is BAD and needs replaced. Yes, there is a built in overload, not sure if at motor or in the control box. But, when I have your problem replacing the motor fixes it. Doug

PS, originally Dometic stated they thought it was a "pairing" problem and when replacement sensors were sent out, they sent the sensor and a new control board. They were wrong. I replaced scores of sensors and not the control boards and never had a problem

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
YOu might need some lubrication on moving parts.

You're right. When I hear some of the sounds it makes I'm sure of it. I sprayed all the parts I could access with WD40 but it didn't help much. I haven't had enough time but I will have to look further. I have the MH stored and when I work on it I have to have someone close by my wife or take her along, which she doesn't like.

The pdf that Doug sent gave me a lot of things to check. I have an extra wheelchair battery that I can parallel the input voltage when I get another failure. I haven't checked the voltage at the control box as the awning is operating. This is highly suspect since the awning still stops with the new controller in place. This, along with proper lubrication might just be the answer to my problem.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
YOu might need some lubrication on moving parts.

I'm told the controllers and the wind sensor are "paired" at the factory.
Do I believe it. Well the "Lightouse" wind sensor I had.. Failed always.
I ended up hitting the override switch

But that's as much as I can tell you.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Doug. You're right. Even my buddy Brent B. was lost when it came to these awnings. He got me to Customer Services but they weren't any help either. I got the boxes swapped out but still have a bug. The motor seems to overload, trip and stay off 2 or 3 times when in the process of closing. With my old controller it tripped and finally failed to reset. I had to go into the controller and bypass everything to get on the road. That's when I found the replacement with an extra wire. It's working now but it also sometimes stops and has to reset when closing. At least I figured out how to get it closed and get on the road if it completely fails again.

We're close to selling out but I need to fix the bug before I sell it. I ass-u-med the dip switched were all "off" like with the old controller. That could still be a problem because it came out of the box with switches 1,3 and 5 "on". It is working enough to get by, for now. I may tinker with the switches later.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Remember, 5 of those wires on the new controller are for the Door awning. 3 for the remote switch and 2 for the awning motor. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The control box controls 2 awnings.
1. Your weatherpro main awning
2. The Oasis elite door awning. That extra 2 wires is the output to operate the door awning open and close. Doug

https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/exterior/AE_WxPro_3308058.001.pdf

PS. NOBODY at Tiffin would have any clue as to your problem.