cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help planning trip to include Delaware

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
This is a little off the wall, but the dw and I are trying to get into each of the 50 states before our time here on earth is over. One of the few we have not been in is Delaware. We live in northern Ohio and plan to visit some friends in central CT this fall. I've been looking at the map trying to find a decent way to incorporate DE into the route. We don't want to just make the drive to make the drive, but would like to find some things to do or see along the way. I am hoping some of you with experience in the area will have some suggestions. We don't necessarily need to camp in the state (we did not in Hawaii), but just driving in is sufficient.
TIA
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?
17 REPLIES 17

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
K_and_I wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Just went there this July. We did WV,VA,DE, MD and DC. Delaware was our favorite. Best to see and do is Rehobooth beach. and the state park right there has a very nice beach at the cape. Maybe take the ferry over to Cape May NJ.

I just made our reservations for a few days at Delaware Seashore State Park (Rehoboth Beach). Thanks again to all who responded. We're looking forward to the trip.

Good Catch - while only a paved lot it is on the inlet and you just walk under the Bridge to the Beach.

Be mindful of the traffic on the weekends (that actually start on Thursdays) it can take and Hour or more to get through Rehoboth.

Hope this is not a prime time trip but in the off season - the area is just TOO crowded and overbuilt. We just got back from the 42nd annual Family Reunion, with 2 weeks at Big Oaks in Rehoboth, hard to believe it has grown so much in 43 years!

But it is still fun and the Grand Kids love it! Think you will too.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Just went there this July. We did WV,VA,DE, MD and DC. Delaware was our favorite. Best to see and do is Rehobooth beach. and the state park right there has a very nice beach at the cape. Maybe take the ferry over to Cape May NJ.

I just made our reservations for a few days at Delaware Seashore State Park (Rehoboth Beach). Thanks again to all who responded. We're looking forward to the trip.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
15 years ago the beltway around NYC (I287) was a traffic nightmare & I84 through western CT was more manageable, the past 5 years or so this has all flipped around. last trip home from PA took me almost 4 hrs from the NY/CT border to eastren CT, (only 60 lousy Miles :M) trips before that not much better...

Most of this is because CT is behind on highway improvements/expansion and everyone moving out from NY to western CT

This has me re-thinking my return trips home

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
476 to 84 is going to be a lot less traffic then heading up 1. 476 is PA turnpike
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I would be going up through eastern Pa until I got on I-84 east into Conn. Unless you enjoy endless NYC all the way from Wilmington into Conn. Much easier drive even if it is longer.

I-476 to I-84?
I DO NOT enjoy big city traffic. I'm getting much too old.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
railtrailers wrote:
What will you be driving thru Connecticut?
RT-15 is the Merritt Parkway and NO trailers or motorhomes are allowed! It is a 1930's scenic parkway with some quaint bridges that can trim the top of your camper for you.

I suggest that you consider taking I-287 up through northern New Jersey to the New York Thruway north to I-84 at Newburg. Then take I-84 east across the Hudson River and on into Connecticut. Check out the tolls before committing to any particular route. It is my understanding that the George Washington Bridge is crazy expensive. I have not checked it lately but I expect the Mario Cuomo Bridge (previously called the Tappan Zee Bridge) is likely to be more pricey than the Newburg Beacon Bridge for crossing the Hudson River.

Good catch. Thank you. I was using Google maps for planning purposes and did not double check with something that understands how tall a travel trailer can be. If I follow the route you suggested, will that not keep me off of any of the expensive bridges?
Thanks again.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would be going up through eastern Pa until I got on I-84 east into Conn. Unless you enjoy endless NYC all the way from Wilmington into Conn. Much easier drive even if it is longer.

railtrailers
Explorer
Explorer
What will you be driving thru Connecticut?
RT-15 is the Merritt Parkway and NO trailers or motorhomes are allowed! It is a 1930's scenic parkway with some quaint bridges that can trim the top of your camper for you.

I suggest that you consider taking I-287 up through northern New Jersey to the New York Thruway north to I-84 at Newburg. Then take I-84 east across the Hudson River and on into Connecticut. Check out the tolls before committing to any particular route. It is my understanding that the George Washington Bridge is crazy expensive. I have not checked it lately but I expect the Mario Cuomo Bridge (previously called the Tappan Zee Bridge) is likely to be more pricey than the Newburg Beacon Bridge for crossing the Hudson River.

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who have responded. After researching some of the suggestions given here, I think we will find enough to do in DE to give it a couple of days instead of a drive through. I am looking at coming across on I-70, into DE on Rt. 50 and staying in the Lewes area perhaps at Henlopen State Park. Then continuing on the trip to central CT up Rt 1 to I-295/NJ turnpike, around NYC on I-287 then on Rt 15. Does this seem doable to those of you who know this area? This should perhaps be in the routes forum, but I started here, so will continue the discussion if the moderators permit.
Again, thank you to all who respond.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The most northern SP in DE is Lum's Pond, just off the Chesapeake bay, Delaware canal.

Go further south for Killens Pond SP below Dover.

Both nice parks.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are PLENTY of things to see and do in Delaware (though most of them are not in the northern part of the state where I-95 passes through).

Trip Advisor - Delaware

We just spent two weeks in Bethany Beach at a military campground. The Assateague Island National Seashore is at the southern end of the peninsula (where it is Maryland) and is a top attraction for nature lovers. The entire coast south of Dover is a great place to visit and there are plenty of places to camp or stay (non-camping).

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
Brings back memories, when we lived in Port Deposit Maryland we would go to Delaware to shop.

Yes, stock up on things in tax free Delaware.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Make it a fun trip. Travel down through New Jersey and take the Ferry over to Delaware. You'll have plenty of beach towns along the way you could visit on either side of the ferry.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500