Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Help planning trip to include Delaware
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Help planning trip to include Delaware

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
K_and_I

North Central Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/21 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a little off the wall, but the dw and I are trying to get into each of the 50 states before our time here on earth is over. One of the few we have not been in is Delaware. We live in northern Ohio and plan to visit some friends in central CT this fall. I've been looking at the map trying to find a decent way to incorporate DE into the route. We don't want to just make the drive to make the drive, but would like to find some things to do or see along the way. I am hoping some of you with experience in the area will have some suggestions. We don't necessarily need to camp in the state (we did not in Hawaii), but just driving in is sufficient.
TIA

K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/21 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K and I,

I know this won't be much help, but if you are driving I-95 north, you will go through Delaware. Don't blink.
As a mariner, I have been in an out of Delaware Bay, and I actually don't remember anything notable there. Except Cape Henlopen, that was the southern extent of my pilots license.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

WNYBob

Tonawanda, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/21 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a pretty place to stop. It is just north of Delaware in PA

Longwood Gardens

Along the way from Ohio, you could stop at the Horseshoe Curve near Altoona, PA. Or Gettysburg, PA. Or The National Watch and Clock Museum

WNYBob

* This post was edited 08/04/21 09:49am by WNYBob *

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/21 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brings back memories, when we lived in Port Deposit Maryland we would go to Delaware to shop.

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/21 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make it a fun trip. Travel down through New Jersey and take the Ferry over to Delaware. You'll have plenty of beach towns along the way you could visit on either side of the ferry.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/21 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

Brings back memories, when we lived in Port Deposit Maryland we would go to Delaware to shop.

Yes, stock up on things in tax free Delaware.

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/21 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are PLENTY of things to see and do in Delaware (though most of them are not in the northern part of the state where I-95 passes through).

Trip Advisor - Delaware

We just spent two weeks in Bethany Beach at a military campground. The Assateague Island National Seashore is at the southern end of the peninsula (where it is Maryland) and is a top attraction for nature lovers. The entire coast south of Dover is a great place to visit and there are plenty of places to camp or stay (non-camping).

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/21 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The most northern SP in DE is Lum's Pond, just off the Chesapeake bay, Delaware canal.

Go further south for Killens Pond SP below Dover.

Both nice parks.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

K_and_I

North Central Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/21 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all who have responded. After researching some of the suggestions given here, I think we will find enough to do in DE to give it a couple of days instead of a drive through. I am looking at coming across on I-70, into DE on Rt. 50 and staying in the Lewes area perhaps at Henlopen State Park. Then continuing on the trip to central CT up Rt 1 to I-295/NJ turnpike, around NYC on I-287 then on Rt 15. Does this seem doable to those of you who know this area? This should perhaps be in the routes forum, but I started here, so will continue the discussion if the moderators permit.
Again, thank you to all who respond.

railtrailers

South West Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/21 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What will you be driving thru Connecticut?
RT-15 is the Merritt Parkway and NO trailers or motorhomes are allowed! It is a 1930's scenic parkway with some quaint bridges that can trim the top of your camper for you.

I suggest that you consider taking I-287 up through northern New Jersey to the New York Thruway north to I-84 at Newburg. Then take I-84 east across the Hudson River and on into Connecticut. Check out the tolls before committing to any particular route. It is my understanding that the George Washington Bridge is crazy expensive. I have not checked it lately but I expect the Mario Cuomo Bridge (previously called the Tappan Zee Bridge) is likely to be more pricey than the Newburg Beacon Bridge for crossing the Hudson River.

* This post was edited 08/04/21 02:43pm by railtrailers *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Help planning trip to include Delaware
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.