Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Help planning trip to include Delaware
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Help planning trip to include Delaware

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/21 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would be going up through eastern Pa until I got on I-84 east into Conn. Unless you enjoy endless NYC all the way from Wilmington into Conn. Much easier drive even if it is longer.

K_and_I

North Central Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/21 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

railtrailers wrote:

What will you be driving thru Connecticut?
RT-15 is the Merritt Parkway and NO trailers or motorhomes are allowed! It is a 1930's scenic parkway with some quaint bridges that can trim the top of your camper for you.

I suggest that you consider taking I-287 up through northern New Jersey to the New York Thruway north to I-84 at Newburg. Then take I-84 east across the Hudson River and on into Connecticut. Check out the tolls before committing to any particular route. It is my understanding that the George Washington Bridge is crazy expensive. I have not checked it lately but I expect the Mario Cuomo Bridge (previously called the Tappan Zee Bridge) is likely to be more pricey than the Newburg Beacon Bridge for crossing the Hudson River.

Good catch. Thank you. I was using Google maps for planning purposes and did not double check with something that understands how tall a travel trailer can be. If I follow the route you suggested, will that not keep me off of any of the expensive bridges?
Thanks again.

K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

K_and_I

North Central Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/21 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

I would be going up through eastern Pa until I got on I-84 east into Conn. Unless you enjoy endless NYC all the way from Wilmington into Conn. Much easier drive even if it is longer.

I-476 to I-84?
I DO NOT enjoy big city traffic. I'm getting much too old.

Romer1

Bolingbrook, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/04/21 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

476 to 84 is going to be a lot less traffic then heading up 1. 476 is PA turnpike

Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited(toad)

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/21 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

15 years ago the beltway around NYC (I287) was a traffic nightmare & I84 through western CT was more manageable, the past 5 years or so this has all flipped around. last trip home from PA took me almost 4 hrs from the NY/CT border to eastren CT, (only 60 lousy Miles [emoticon]) trips before that not much better...

Most of this is because CT is behind on highway improvements/expansion and everyone moving out from NY to western CT

This has me re-thinking my return trips home

Mike

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/21 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just went there this July. We did WV,VA,DE, MD and DC. Delaware was our favorite. Best to see and do is Rehobooth beach. and the state park right there has a very nice beach at the cape. Maybe take the ferry over to Cape May NJ.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

K_and_I

North Central Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/21 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

Just went there this July. We did WV,VA,DE, MD and DC. Delaware was our favorite. Best to see and do is Rehobooth beach. and the state park right there has a very nice beach at the cape. Maybe take the ferry over to Cape May NJ.

I just made our reservations for a few days at Delaware Seashore State Park (Rehoboth Beach). Thanks again to all who responded. We're looking forward to the trip.

Busskipper

Grasonville,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/21 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K_and_I wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

I just made our reservations for a few days at Delaware Seashore State Park (Rehoboth Beach). Thanks again to all who responded. We're looking forward to the trip.

Good Catch - while only a paved lot it is on the inlet and you just walk under the Bridge to the Beach.

Be mindful of the traffic on the weekends (that actually start on Thursdays) it can take and Hour or more to get through Rehoboth.

Hope this is not a prime time trip but in the off season - the area is just TOO crowded and overbuilt. We just got back from the 42nd annual Family Reunion, with 2 weeks at Big Oaks in Rehoboth, hard to believe it has grown so much in 43 years!

But it is still fun and the Grand Kids love it! Think you will too.

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Help planning trip to include Delaware
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.