cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Surge Protector - Hardwired without transfer switch?

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
My new to me TT does not have a surge protector (SP), portable or hardwired. It also does not have a transfer switch (TS). I have not yet verified, but I assume the power cord used to connect my trailer to a power source (ex. power pedestal at campground) is connected directly to inverter/charger box where 120V and 12V fuses/breakers are located.

The last hardwired SP I installed was in my TH that had a built in genny. I installed the SP before the TS.

I want to install a SP in my TT. MY TT is 30amp.
Do I need to have a TS to utilize ALL aspects/benefits of the SP?
Or can the SP be installed anywhere between the power cord and the inverter/charger?

Thanks!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
13 REPLIES 13

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:
No need for a transfer switch. Do get one with a bypass switch. It appears that Hughes now makes a better surge protector than either Surge Guard or P.I.

https://hughesautoformers.com/power-watchdog-smart-surge-protectors/

I was likng the newer Hughes units until it was mentioned they do not have a bypass switch. On a hardwired unit no by pass would be a deal breaker for me.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Baja Man wrote:
DrewE.....

would a bonding plug be needed on EACH inverter/generator when connected with a parallel kit (I will be using two Champion inverters combined with the parallel kit)?

I'm not DrewE, but one bonding plug in the system is enough. You don't need one on each generator. However, be sure the bonding plug is on ONE of the generators, not in an RV outlet.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Tucquala....as DrewE suggests, sounds like the bonding plug is what you and I need.
Equal-i-zer 10K

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
The wiring in the trailer doesn't change when you plug into your own generator instead of the utility company's generators (which may be many miles away somewhere on the grid). The only negative with a surge protector may be that it detects the unbonded ground and neutral on the generator as an open ground and complains about that, if it's a decent EMS unit. The solution to that is pretty simple: either bypass the EMS, if it has a bypass switch, or plug a bonding plug into one of the outlets on the generator. A quick search of the forum will show what a bonding plug is and how to make one; it just connects the neutral to the ground on the generator.

DrewE.....

would a bonding plug be needed on EACH inverter/generator when connected with a parallel kit (I will be using two Champion inverters combined with the parallel kit)?
Equal-i-zer 10K

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Baja, no bypass on the Hughes. Maybe one of its shortcomings!! It is bypassed, power from socket direct into trlr like it was. Don't travel anymore at the moment, trailer is up on land we purchased last year. May put in a quick connect so I can easily go between the Hughes and direct input if and when needed!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
The wiring in the trailer doesn't change when you plug into your own generator instead of the utility company's generators (which may be many miles away somewhere on the grid). The only negative with a surge protector may be that it detects the unbonded ground and neutral on the generator as an open ground and complains about that, if it's a decent EMS unit. The solution to that is pretty simple: either bypass the EMS, if it has a bypass switch, or plug a bonding plug into one of the outlets on the generator. A quick search of the forum will show what a bonding plug is and how to make one; it just connects the neutral to the ground on the generator.

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Tuquala....

Does the Hughes unit have a bypass switch? The Progressive Industries unit I purchased has one. I believe these are what are needed for the low voltage via inverter/genny.

Also, you do not travel with trailer any longer?
Equal-i-zer 10K

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Does the wiring (no transfer switch) change or is the SP affected when I plug my RV 30amp power cord directly to my inverter portable gennys?

Tuquala: Just getting her dialed in! It's a very nice floor plan but quality is not as high as ORV....but neither is the price! Time will tell how she holds up.
Equal-i-zer 10K

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing needed for your scenario, with our TH we either plugged directly into shorepower with our surge protector or plugged power cord into dedicated generator outlet provided on our rig. With our class A nothing has changed for the most part, we plug power cord with surge protector into power pedestal, transfer switch always prioritizes Onan power when genny is running anyway. We love our Hughes SP, works flawlessly and the info provided via bluetooth is quite in depth.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you donโ€™t have a generator why do you think you need a transfer switch? Transfer between what? Just get a SP to sit between your 30 amp plug and the power source.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
No need for a transfer switch. Do get one with a bypass switch. It appears that Hughes now makes a better surge protector than either Surge Guard or P.I.

https://hughesautoformers.com/power-watchdog-smart-surge-protectors/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
No TS needed unless you add a second power source such as an inverter.

Just remove the wire from the main panel and connect to the SP inlet. Get a like piece of wire and connect the SP out to the panel. Done. This makes it easy to remove if needed.

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Have installed a 30A hardwired Hughes Watchdog. Didn't put in a "switch" (aSSume you mean a switch to bypass the SP) but will be doing it soon. Found out that the SP would kick out when running AC on generator due to voltage dropping below (very momentary!!) the "protection" low limit. Since trailer is now on our own 10 acres (not travelling anywhere), only running when needed on generator, I have disconnected the SP so we can run the AC!! Hughes sees no problem with the unit, the gen mfg doesn't see any problem with the genny!! So, no SP being used at this time!!

Just thought I'd mention it to help with your decision!!

So, are you happy with your Outdoors "replacement"??!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles