Thank you!
Alex & Teresa

2022 Allegro Open Road
2021 Colorado 4x4
20 REPLIES 20

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would run from any RV that recommends slide out supports as that suggests a less than robust design. And what happens with a flat tire, shifting sand, etc? Answer $$$.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am not a fan of snap pads, or any pad you permanently mount on the end of your jacks. They can be very expensive, and they accomplish very little in terms of added stability. They reduce your ground clearance when on the road, too. On top of that, they do nothing to help you to level things out when on a very unlevel site.

I much prefer my 'dirty wood blocks' and the way you can stack them at each corner to minimize how far your jacks have to extend, and drive one side up on them when site is very unlevel. Extending the jacks less is also easier on the jacks, and makes things much more stable inside.

Much cheaper this way, too. If one cracks, all I have to do is go to a local lumber store and buy another piece of 2x10 or 2x12 and cut it (or have them cut it) into squares.

As to slideout supports: I've never used them, nor ever owned an RV that recommended using them. Would probably be a good idea if you were going to be parked for extended periods, but not sure if they are worth the trouble, otherwise.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
SnapPads for us. I never need to carry a bunch of dirty blocks or wood when a campground requires pads, as mine are always in place. Ground clearance is a non issue. The typical response from someone who does own them!
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Land_Yachters
Explorer
Explorer
scbwr wrote:
I put SnapPads on my MH this year and I really like them. I don't have to worry about campgrounds that request you use pads.

Slide out supports....never. Potential for damage exceeds any benefits, and any slide out I've had never needed any stabilization.

+1
Land Yachters
Griff, Ali and Coco
Philadelphia, PA
2018 Tiffin 33AA
2018 Grand Cherokee

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Made really nice wooden blocks which I have yet to utilize. I use large thick cutting boards purchased via Walmart.
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Jack pads, yes. Slide supports, no. For slides, I believe the mfgr says no to those.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The factory 10"x 10" feet on our Bigfoot jacks are already larger than most of the aftermarket pads. We do use wood pads when additional leveling length is need though.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Slides are self supporting. If you need them then there is something wrong with the slideout.

I don’t have the pads, but probably will get them next year. If only to keep the rust rings off my driveway
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jack pads are nice.. I often used a 12" length of 2x12 (Well 11 3/4" a Square)
I also had plastic pads but the wood was .... Stronger

Why use them.. Well one winter I did not and when we went to head west and south to warmer location the blang jacks were frozen to the ground... I got 'em loose but it was a job.

Next year the wood blocks were froze to the ground but the jacks were NOT frozen to the wood.. Pulled off the pad. went back and tapped the blocks gently with an 8 pound sledge and the popped free right nicely.

I've been in one campground where corporate got the bright idea to "pave" the sites with asphalt. The jack pads were not large enough so there were nice round holes in the surface.. The 12x12 pad spreads the load a bit more and prevents that... Also works under my bottle jack.

Page 2: Slide out supports.

Imagine you are using slide out supports and the sun cones out and softens thew aforementioned asphalt and your leveling jack punches through.

I have seen the result.. (Thankfully not my rig) It was.. Not pretty.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Blackdiamond wrote:
I don't use either

x2-- no need. Snap pads reduce clearance while on the road and only offer marginal increase in footprint. If you need to use pads, use wood of substantial size. Slide out supports are a recipe for diaster.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
If your RV lowers for any reason; leaking leveling jacks, leaking tire, jack sinking into ground...then the slideout supports WILL do major damage to the slide. NEVER use slideout supports.

As for jack pads; depends on the circumstances, but never a bad thing.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
I don't use either
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

Alex_and_Tee
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for everyone's input. Kind of verifies what I've been thinking.
Alex & Teresa

2022 Allegro Open Road
2021 Colorado 4x4

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We do exactly as the consensus indicates for this post, jackpads as circumstances dictate and a big never for slideout supports.