cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing front landing gear box and motor.

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hey guys, got a question. I am replacing my front landing gear box and motor. The 5er is in my driveway and is raised fairly high. I have a sloping drive and I can walk under the pin. I am 5'7". My question is can I remove the motor and gear box without lowering the trailer? Will it fall if I pull those two item? I would like to do this without hooking to the truck if possible. Thanks, John.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.
16 REPLIES 16

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I agree attached to the truck is foolproof and is ultimately the safest method.
However the truck is in the way and limts my access to the leg.
I don't believe I can raise the front hatch attached to the truck either.
while I agree using the truck is the safest method but it also makes the job more difficult.
On flat ground heavy duty jackstands are safe enough for me.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdc1 wrote:
On a slope, I would skip the jackstands.....use the truck.

Having removed legs myself more than once or twice & also having the trailer slip, the safest way to remove a leg is to do it on level ground & hooked to the truck.

Transferring weight to stands or blocks of wood is fine however the truck is a fail safe insurance device should something slip. It won't drop far.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
shadows4 wrote:
Hey guys, just wanted to touch base you all. I did change out the gear box and motor and the fiver didn't fall. It turned out to be the switch was bad. Glad I did it myself as now I have a spare gear box and motor. Thanks, for all the replies.
John

Cool! Glad it worked out for you, and thanks for the update!

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hey guys, just wanted to touch base you all. I did change out the gear box and motor and the fiver didn't fall. It turned out to be the switch was bad. Glad I did it myself as now I have a spare gear box and motor. Thanks, for all the replies.
John
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Tyler0215 wrote:
What do you think is holding the fiver up? Of course it will fall. Hook up the truck and support and chock very well so the truck and trailer does't move.
Not true.

I believe a few misunderstood the OP. He's replacing the gear box, and motor, those landing gear legs won't move, unless the motor turns. He said he's on a slope, so I am sure he has it chocked well.

I have worked on the gear box ,and motor more then once never had to do anything with supporting the trailer, as said those landing legs can't go anywhere if the motor is removed from the drive side .

Memphisdoug
Explorer
Explorer
Did this exact thing last year. No worries about the trailer falling when removing the motor and gearbox. Easy swap out.
2006 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab
2006 Crossroads Paradise Pointe 36RL

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm thinking I'd move the rig to a level parking lot somewhere before tempting gravity.
Puma 30RKSS

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been there. Done that more than a few times.

No need to remove leg if only removing the motor. The leg is not going to collapse.

Removing the leg is another matter. The motor comes off first. Best to stay on the truck for safety. If not, transfer weight onto blocks under the frame before removing anything.รฉ
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM5xof0at94

Tutorial but please use a jack stand.

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Having replaced landing gear 3x now I doubt the jacks will allow the trailer to drop with just removing the gearbox and motor. However, in this scenario where your under the front of the trailer I would either hitch to the truck or build up cribbing immediately behind the landing gear under the frame. Each time I've done this I've hitched up. Close quarters but very doable.
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tyler0215 wrote:
What do you think is holding the fiver up? Of course it will fall. Hook up the truck and support and chock very well so the truck and trailer does't move.
Not true.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
These front jacks are a screw-type setup and will not fall if you pull the motor and gearbox. The motor and gearbox turn a threaded rod with runs in the matching threaded leg. That is what supports the trailer.

JMO, but depending on how heavy your trailer is, you might consider going to a two motor system like the Bulldog legs. That's what I put on our Fuzion and it works so much better than a single motor setup. Plus a side benefit is being able to move the legs independently to allow for uneven ground.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
From etrailer.com:

Question - "Do you need to place a support jack under trailer before you remove gearbox ? My tube on the gear side did not retract the same amount as the non gearbox side. I suspect gearbox may need replaced."

Expert Reply - "If you can level your trailer it is not necessary to add an additional support jack before removing your gearbox. The gearbox turns the screw that activates the jack, but it also has a fail safe that does not allow the jack to drop if the gearbox is removed. In the case you are not able to level your trailer, you will need an additional support jack."

All that said, I'm paranoid about being crushed. So, I'd hook it up to my truck for peace of mind.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
On a slope, I would skip the jackstands.....use the truck.