cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows 10 Keeps on Frustrating

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 relatively new Windows 10 PC's both using Windows 10..One PC is for me and one is for better half...Up until last week everything was fine with both of them THEN.. the better half can't edit / save any of her documents even though they were created under my account.
When I change welcome picture or name used in initial greeting or desktop background, both computers change.. Both computers were registered under my MS Account and they worked fine. Using MS Office 2016? To top it off, whenever she tries to amend or change one of the word documents she has created in the past, she gets the message to get permission from Administrator.. This has all started this past week.. Nothing remains simple BUT this is getting out of control..AND unlike in the past I could figure out what was happening but no more.. Have Googled issue but nothing makes sense.. Any ideas..Thanks in advance.. Stay Safe
8 REPLIES 8

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
azdryheat wrote:
Sounds like you need to separate the two computers and create a new MS account for her.

No.

Sounds like an recent Update may have reset or changed file and folder permissions in order to close a security hole.

With Win10 MS tightened up file permissions considerably when using multiple users on the same PC, in times past you used to be able to simply search through the user folder and open and edit any document. Not so much now without the Administrator password.

Additionally with MS version of Cloud computing (IE One Drive) permissions can get pretty fouled up between users.. So if both PCs are set to sync the shared files and folders on One Drive there may be additional steps required to fix that foul up.

See HERE for more ideas on resetting/changing file and folder permissions.

HERE is another link with some step by step instructions that may be helpful (note, I have not used or have any idea if the "software tool" that is offered is safe or works so user be aware!).

For a more expansive search on file and folder permissions see THIS search..

For OneDrive permissions you can check HERE

If this occurred just recently, then it may be due to a security patch pushed out to harden against hackers.

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
I switched to Apple years ago & could not be happier, but I still own Microsoft stock!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well don't fear.. Small and not firm is coming out with a new Windows 11 to further annoy you.

Now a serious note: Run a very good anti-viral anti-malware... You describing something not unlike something I have seen in the past....

However it is different so... Run a good in fact run multiple anti-virials. If possible run from a external boot (like Fix-Me-Stick or Malware Bytes stick that Staples uses) Can not guarantee. but won't hurt.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Are these Word docs saved on your OneDrive account? If they are and you created the file, check to make sure she has permissions to 'edit' and not just read them.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like the computers are in sync mode. Go into setting, accounts and turn it off.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also have troubles now setting up a Windows 10 network connecting my laptops in close proximity together using my wifi service. I sometimes receive same message as you and may delete my MS account and start all over without the MS account. Never had local wifi network problems with 7, 8 or 8.1 or even Vista. BG has to make things worse and not better IMHO and I de.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you need to separate the two computers and create a new MS account for her.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE