cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advise from the Ram Owners

4girls2dogsandm
Explorer
Explorer
I’m going to buy a Ram 3500 SRW in November and my dilemma is gas or diesel. I have owned a 02 Cummins for 17 years and it was ole reliable. I only drove it 90,000 in those 17 years and really don’t drive crazy miles. We usually take the DW ‘s car on trips as we are seasonal campers at the moment. Anyway I’m retiring and will be traveling the winter months from November to April in the South. Maybe a trip West in summer time. I’m concerned that a new diesel with the all the new emissions and DEF regen won’t cut it as the other 7 months it will be a grocery getter. We are going to be purchasing a FW early next year with a pin weight of 2100 lbs and a GVW of 11,000. Any input would greatly be appreciated.
Tom and Cindy

2019 Ram 1500
2018 Jayco40loft Bungalow (seasonal)
76 REPLIES 76

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
IdaD wrote:
Last time I checked Rams had the highest percentage of Diesel engines vs gas of any of the HD models. Makes sense I guess. In a perfect world I'd have a Cummins backed by an Allison in a Super Duty.

I know your trying to use all 3, but the SuperDuty has a great dependable transmission.

If Ford had the Cummins engine, even Cummins 12V would buy a Ford!! All, American made, and he'd be rid of those silly antler mirrors. 🙂

Jerry

Could be!!! But as far as looks go RAM is best IMHO. Actually I like the ANTLERS.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
IdaD wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
ib516 wrote:
I had a 2014 2500 with the 6.4L Hemi and 4.10s. Had 2 Cummins trucks before the 2014 Hemi. I pulled a 12k 5er that was 37' long and had 3 slides. Never lacked for power with the Hemi. Got 7-9 mpg pulling and mid to high teens running empty hwy, depended a lot on wind.

With the 8 speed, the 6.4L Hemi would be that much better than my 6 speed auto was.

The diesel will pull better in every situation and get slightly better mpg while doing it.

I was very happy with the Hemi, and for towing 11k intermittently, it would be my choice.

I noticed starting early last year that a lot of the Ram HD trucks are powered by Hemi's and I continue to see that trend of more and more Hemi powered HD's and less Cummins. Having said that I don't think Chrysler has fixed the lifter problems on the Hemi's so I sure wouldn't purchase one if I were to keep it over 100k miles.

Last time I checked Rams had the highest percentage of Diesel engines vs gas of any of the HD models. Makes sense I guess. In a perfect world I'd have a Cummins backed by an Allison in a Super Duty.

Ford makes good trucks but “Allison in name only” over AISIN???

Remember the CUMMINS doesn’t need 10 speeds.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
ib516 wrote:
I had a 2014 2500 with the 6.4L Hemi and 4.10s. Had 2 Cummins trucks before the 2014 Hemi. I pulled a 12k 5er that was 37' long and had 3 slides. Never lacked for power with the Hemi. Got 7-9 mpg pulling and mid to high teens running empty hwy, depended a lot on wind.

With the 8 speed, the 6.4L Hemi would be that much better than my 6 speed auto was.

The diesel will pull better in every situation and get slightly better mpg while doing it.

I was very happy with the Hemi, and for towing 11k intermittently, it would be my choice.

I noticed starting early last year that a lot of the Ram HD trucks are powered by Hemi's and I continue to see that trend of more and more Hemi powered HD's and less Cummins. Having said that I don't think Chrysler has fixed the lifter problems on the Hemi's so I sure wouldn't purchase one if I were to keep it over 100k miles.

What universe are living in? 1500’s gassers, 2500/3500 CUMMINS is the real world.

Honestly you have Ford and RAM mixed up with your theory.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
IdaD wrote:

I know your trying to use all 3, but the SuperDuty has a great dependable transmission.

If Ford had the Cummins engine, even Cummins 12V would buy a Ford!! All, American made, and he'd be rid of those silly antler mirrors. 🙂

Jerry

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
ib516 wrote:

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ib516 wrote:

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
SweetLou wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
SweetLou wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Didn’t get the “unlucky” part of what I said.

And built on a Friday

Not defending Ram, or any other mfg, heck, just learned that about 25% of our fleet of 6 speed auto Chevy trucks, circa 2016-2018 have had transmissions blown.
Your issue with the switch panel sounds extremely frustrating, also haven't heard you've looked into what I suggested.
Turbo actuators are a common issue. And the '13s are a pseudo 1st year model, which likely doesn't help.

You take the same risk with any vehicle IMO.
I will be looking into it for sure. The tech has ruled out the new switch bank they tell me. Apparently when he puts his hand up into the dash and wiggles the wires power gets restored to the switch bank. This is why they determine its in the harness and some other ground testing. You can't get to it unless you pull dash I am told. I am leaving for Southern Cal in about 6 weeks. I don't want to open up issues unless I find a good shop first. When I get the truck back I will take a good look at what you were suggesting. Thanks for your help because it is much appreciated.

If you get to SoCal without it resolved call Alex in service at Crystal Chrysler in Cathedral City and get it in. Mike their Diesel Mechanic will work on it as he works on every Diesel no matter the condition. I have had great results with them.

There is a time and a place for gas tow vehicles..... I don't have either.....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
SweetLou wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

And built on a Friday

Not defending Ram, or any other mfg, heck, just learned that about 25% of our fleet of 6 speed auto Chevy trucks, circa 2016-2018 have had transmissions blown.
Your issue with the switch panel sounds extremely frustrating, also haven't heard you've looked into what I suggested.
Turbo actuators are a common issue. And the '13s are a pseudo 1st year model, which likely doesn't help.

I will be looking into it for sure. The tech has ruled out the new switch bank they tell me. Apparently when he puts his hand up into the dash and wiggles the wires power gets restored to the switch bank. This is why they determine its in the harness and some other ground testing. You can't get to it unless you pull dash I am told. I am leaving for Southern Cal in about 6 weeks. I don't want to open up issues unless I find a good shop first. When I get the truck back I will take a good look at what you were suggesting. Thanks for your help because it is much appreciated.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
SweetLou wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

And built on a Friday

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

And built on a Friday
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:
SweetLou wrote:
4girls2dogsandme wrote:
I’m going to buy a Ram 3500 SRW in November and my dilemma is gas or diesel. I have owned a 02 Cummins for 17 years and it was ole reliable. I only drove it 90,000 in those 17 years and really don’t drive crazy miles. We usually take the DW ‘s car on trips as we are seasonal campers at the moment. Anyway I’m retiring and will be traveling the winter months from November to April in the South. Maybe a trip West in summer time. I’m concerned that a new diesel with the all the new emissions and DEF regen won’t cut it as the other 7 months it will be a grocery getter. We are going to be purchasing a FW early next year with a pin weight of 2100 lbs and a GVW of 11,000. Any input would greatly be appreciated.

You know, this is the first time I will say this to anyone. With all the recalls my 2013 has had which are plentiful, and the current electronic problem, coupled with discontinued wiring harness and other Ram discontinued parts I would no longer buy a Ram truck. It's a shame that a great engine is coupled to such a crapping body. When you currently pay upward of 70K for a truck, you don't need to have issues even if you do have extended warranty. What to buy? I really don't know anymore but the other manufacturers maybe don't have these extensive issues and the discontinuation of parts to resolve their problems.

Maybe all the issues have something to do with it being a “13”.

A 13' is not that old. Certainly to new to have parts discontinued.
I would hope Ram would have a better response than it's a 13'
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
SweetLou wrote:
4girls2dogsandme wrote:

You know, this is the first time I will say this to anyone. With all the recalls my 2013 has had which are plentiful, and the current electronic problem, coupled with discontinued wiring harness and other Ram discontinued parts I would no longer buy a Ram truck. It's a shame that a great engine is coupled to such a crapping body. When you currently pay upward of 70K for a truck, you don't need to have issues even if you do have extended warranty. What to buy? I really don't know anymore but the other manufacturers maybe don't have these extensive issues and the discontinuation of parts to resolve their problems.

Maybe all the issues have something to do with it being a “13”.