Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Need advise from the Ram Owners
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Need advise from the Ram Owners

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/21 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Save yourself $50,000 and use what you have. That Cummins will have no issues with 11,000 lbs. I'm still using a 2001 Cummins dually, and it gets the job done. Yeah, it's not as fancy, and it is noisier, but $50,000 will buy a lot of traveling. JMO anyway.

And now is a terrible time to buy anyway, prices are waaaaay high.

Good advice.

Friends just paid 70k for a 19 Laramie LB with 12k, stupid pricing these days.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/21 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Save yourself $50,000 and use what you have. That Cummins will have no issues with 11,000 lbs. I'm still using a 2001 Cummins dually, and it gets the job done. Yeah, it's not as fancy, and it is noisier, but $50,000 will buy a lot of traveling. JMO anyway.

I can agree that now is not the gratest time to buy a vehicle.
Nevertheless the OP does not need to settle for a 20 year old truck.
Especially with the idea he is about to retire.
His 2002 does not compare to a modern diesel truck.
If the OP want to treat himself to a few amenities and adancements why not go for it. Life too short to be stuck in 2002.
You can't take the $$$ with you. I'm all for saving but some just like the idea of money they prefer to settle and make do than spend, even when they can afford to spend.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/21 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, you said "had" an 02? If it was a 6 speed, I'd keep it, honestly.
You have or had a great truck. Toss a nice little tune on it an pull like a boss.

But I understand the want/need for a new truck.
Long term purchase? Alot of traveling/towing? I'm partial to the diesel, but I wouldn't buy a Ram until they finally get their ____ together and get rid of the 6 speed trans. (If I was buying new and long term anyways)

The misconception that it will not work for daily driving is a big myth. Yes it's possible to idle and putz it around and have the exhaust fill it's britches without being able to take a dump (regen), but one would have to almost intentionally try to do that. As long as you have reasonable understanding and sense of how the emissions works and actually drive it on the highway sometimes, it is not an issue.

That said, the new gassers are very impressive compared to trucks of your old truck's vintage. I just prefer diesel for pulling.
I have a similar size/weight trailer currently and would not want to pull grades or especially grades at altitude with a gasser.

Everyone has their own opinion and a gasser will do it on paper and slow up the hills.
If I "had" to buy a brand new diesel tomorrow, I'd go to the GMC Duramax dealer personally. If Ram gets their 8 speed behind the Cummins then it would be a coin toss for me.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/21 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get an F350 with the Godzilla 7.3 gas. It's heads above the 6.4 Hemi.
I had a 2018 6.4 Hemi with 4.10 gears towing 9600 lbs all over the west up into the Tetons and out in the high deserts. The 6 sp tranny sucked the power out of the Hemi. I doubt the 8sp would be all that much better. The 7.3 gas Ford will pull much easier with the 10 sp.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/21 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

Get an F350 with the Godzilla 7.3 gas. It's heads above the 6.4 Hemi.
I had a 2018 6.4 Hemi with 4.10 gears towing 9600 lbs all over the west up into the Tetons and out in the high deserts. The 6 sp tranny sucked the power out of the Hemi. I doubt the 8sp would be all that much better. The 7.3 gas Ford will pull much easier with the 10 sp.

No disagreement from anyone without an unhealthy brand loyalty, that the new Ford gassers are the benchmark for power.

However your statement regarding the 8HP not being much better than the old clunky, poorly geared 65rfe just shows total supposition on your part and zero experience driving a 8HP equipped vehicle.

* This post was edited 08/06/21 12:53pm by Grit dog *

mudfuel07

North Florida!

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/21 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I test drove both of the engines before I bought. The 6.4 had more bells and whistles, but I knew what the Cummins could do coming from one. I wound up with the Cummins. About a week and a half ago, I regretted the decision since you do have to drive them like you stole them so the DPF doesn't clog up. Tech told me I needed to get it up to 70 at least once a week for about 20 miles to burn it off. I live 15 miles from my job, not going to happen. However, since I do love the engine, I have since corrected the problem. I probably watched 100 videos of both engines pulling trailers and made the decision that works best for me.

2018 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Laramie
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/21 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

I’ll wait for Devo’s recommendation…

Why do you see the need to antagonize everyone , you don’t seem to be civil to anyone. Always has to be a bully in the crowd , and you do a good job . I haven’t seen the likes of you since my school days . Why don’t you take your nonsense somewhere else . The mods on here need to shut you down . You have grown very tiresome, grow up .

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/21 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Good advice.

Friends just paid 70k for a 19 Laramie LB with 12k, stupid pricing these days.

Wow , that seems a bit overpriced regardless . My son has a 2022 Ford Lariat on order , loaded that was 76k. Did they look at new ?

Devo the dog

Moved out of crazy California

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/21 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

I can agree that now is not the gratest time to buy a vehicle.
Nevertheless the OP does not need to settle for a 20 year old truck.
Especially with the idea he is about to retire.
His 2002 does not compare to a modern diesel truck.
If the OP want to treat himself to a few amenities and adancements why not go for it. Life too short to be stuck in 2002.
You can't take the $$$ with you. I'm all for saving but some just like the idea of money they prefer to settle and make do than spend, even when they can afford to spend.

This is good advice.

The only item that needs more discussion is timing of the purchase and the funds you use for the purchase. Right not is not a good time, nor is it a good time to use your own capital.

But, it's also becoming a good time to negotiate a price on a truck that you can order. I can order a truck and pay a little over invoice. Will I have to wait? Yes. But I have time, the money, and the credit. Would I use my money? No. Why should I tie up my capital when I can get a low cost loan. Use the bank's capital. This is the same advice I gave my mother-in-law. She can afford a new, high model of almost any car or SUV. So, we are looking at many. It makes sense for her to buy either new or 1 year old certified, with a long warranty. But, the prices of the used aren't worth it. She has time and doesn't need a new car right now. So it's easy to walk away from bad deals. We have also been able to sell vehicles at good prices and set the cash aside.

Regarding the diesel vs gas, I recently made a post on another forum regarding this exact topic. The OP question was "why would you chose a gas over diesel?" My answer was simple: Other than the throttle lag on the diesel, which is very annoying to me, the only reason to choose the gas engine over the diesel is cost. I can afford the added cost of the diesel and the financial breakeven is 6-7 years.
But, do I want to spend about $10k more for something that isn't driven much, and when I tow only a few times a year?

There are some downsides to the gas, or upsides to the new 1000+ ft-lb diesels:
1. You can accelerate up almost any hill pulling heavy loads.
2. You have an exhaust brake.

For less money, I can put disk brakes on all my trailers and reduce the braking issue. But, I won't be able to hold 70-75 mph going up steep grades, or accelerate to pass when a slow driver gets in the way. I haven't placed the order yet but I'm leaning towards the gas. Plus, it'll be something I can supercharge someday.

So for the OP, consider it as if this is the last time you'll buy a new truck. Drive both. Look at the costs and decide if the added cost is worth it. If you have the time, wait and hold out for a good deal. If you order something, plan on waiting. Don't lock it in with a deposit you don't want to lose. When you get it, enjoy it.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/21 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

Why do you see the need to antagonize everyone , you don’t seem to be civil to anyone.

Thanks for the advice and selective reading skills...I work on it. Sorry it struck a nerve with you.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Need advise from the Ram Owners
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.