cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RODENTS!

lolalee
Explorer
Explorer
Not once, but twice i have had our motorhome towed for fuel line repair. The Pack/Wood Rats are eating through the fuel lines.
I have tried EVERYTHING to prevent this. Recently ran across a product called Grid Guard or Rat Mat. Electrified mat placed around the perimeter of the RV, that is suppose to prevent rodents from going over. Does anyone know if this works? Mfg claims it does, but would like to hear from an actual user.
9 REPLIES 9

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If theyโ€™re known to be present, a couple rat traps with peanut butter are pretty deadly in my experience.
Couple summers ago, my field engineer, living on our Jobsite in a camper in the mtns, got 30-40 of those suckers over a few months, no chewing on the camper was done!

Canโ€™t leave the hood up on a TT!

Rodent tape seems like a good idea for known or suspected tasty spots too. Never heard of that stuff before.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

LJAZ
Explorer
Explorer
leaving the hood open works because the rats don't like the light. They want their nest to be dark 24/7. Google Rid-a-rat, it's a small LED strobe that you hook to your battery and should keep the packrats away. Don't know if it works on mice though.
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
If you store it where you have power, keep a radio playing inside it. Iโ€™m not sure if it will keep them out from under the hood, but it works for my garage. I keep a radio on constant and have never had mice even though there are gaps at the overhead door where they could enter.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Anti Rat Pro Spray is good for keeping rats and mice away and keeps them from chewing up wiring and hoses. It is a hot pepper based product that spices up rodents lives and keeps them away.

Some bird seed products have ground red pepper added to it to keep squirrels from getting into it. Birds are immune to the spicy heat of hot peppers so it doesn't bother them.

The spray can be used on vehicle hoses and wires to keep rodents from chewing them up. It is also sprayed around under the rig and in the engine compartment to ward off the unwanted wanted guests.

I know of a couple full time RV nomads that have had mice chewing on their wiring and getting up into their engine compartments that swear by the spray. They also raise their hoods and place a light under the engine compartment at night.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
36guy wrote:
Park your unit with the hood open, they have nowhere to hide, it works.

x2.

and on our daughters ford edge that was atracting rodents we used the honda rodent tape. One of the best $40 we spent.

We have several campgrounds where as soon as you park, up goes the hood. Alternative is in come the packrats and start chewing on wiring.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

36guy
Explorer
Explorer
Park your unit with the hood open, they have nowhere to hide, it works.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess for $2500 to $3000 I'll find other ways.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Explorer
Explorer
Moth balls
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Google Honda rodent tape. This is Honda's fix for the soy based wiring insulation they started using a few years back. No reason you couldn't wrap your fuel lines with it.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500