Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Tire Pressure Q
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Tire Pressure Q

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
TCCamperNoob

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/21 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All, I'm new to all this truck camper stuff. I recently went out on the road and had my tires filled to Ford/tire requirments cold (75 rear, 60 (front). All said and good, right? However, on the road my tires got up over the max pressure of 80psi, like 81-82. Is this normal or should I set cold temp lower? I'm using Wildpeal A/T3W tires LT275/70R18. Any advice would be appreciated. TIA

corvettekent

Marysville, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/21 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Set the tire pressure cold. Yes they will go up as they warm up but that is OK.

2007.5 GMC Dually EC/LB, LMM. Banks IQ, Speed Brake, Six Gun. B&W Turnover Ball, Companion Hitch, Amp power steps. Hadley Air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT and four 6 volt batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/21 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those are cold inflation pressures, they are going to go higher as the tires warm up. Perfectly normal.

2021 Ram 5500 Limited 84CA Cummins 4x4 w/ flatbed
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad)
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/21 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The door label display universal values, what not always work with TC.
For perfect inflation, go to the scales and get your axles weight, than having the load go to tire manufacturer site for inflation chart.
High pressure raise after driving indicate lot of moisture in the tires, or lot of heat due to tire overload, but 5 psi raise is nothing to worry about.

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/21 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Basic procedure..fill tires to desired pressure cold.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

WNYBob

Tonawanda, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/21 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For carrying a TC you might want to go up in tires and get load rated D or E. They have stiffer sidewalls, therefore less flex and less heat.

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/21 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WNYBob wrote:

For carrying a TC you might want to go up in tires and get load rated D or E. They have stiffer sidewalls, therefore less flex and less heat.

80PSI is E. Might want to go up to F, G, or H... depending on what it is.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/21 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, you should probably start out with your rear tires at the max 80 psi. That is measured with a cold tire, meaning the truck has been sitting in the shade for at least a few hours. You can drop down the front tire pressure to about 70 psi to improve the ride, but the camper weight is all on the rear tires and you need full pressure to achieve the maximum load capability. Under inflated tires will run hot, build excessive pressure and are prone to failure.

Next, expect the tire pressure to increase substantially under load especially at high speed on a hot day. If you start at 80 psi, you could easily see the pressure rise to about 90-95 psi. This is the way the tires are designed to operate and never reduce the pressure because it has built up during use. Again, the pressure should only be set with the tires cold. Even a few miles heading the gas station can throw off the setting.

BSWS19

Tucson AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/21 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Setting the pressure at "cold" temperature makes sense to me but, do I need to compensate any in AZ when "cold" tire temps can be 80 to 90 degrees? I usually set mine about 5 psi less than recommended and still see highway temps of 100 to 110 degrees.

2017 Minnie Winnie 31K
2003 Wrangler

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/21 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BSWS19 wrote:

Setting the pressure at "cold" temperature makes sense to me but, do I need to compensate any in AZ when "cold" tire temps can be 80 to 90 degrees? I usually set mine about 5 psi less than recommended and still see highway temps of 100 to 110 degrees.
Cold is in the morning, before you drive, and before the sun is on them. Does not matter where you are, what the temperature or elevation is. Frankly I recommend 5psi over the door sticker not to exceed sidewall max. Certainly never below the door sticker.

Heat kills the tire. Low pressure builds heat due to additional flexing of the sidewall. Best to error a bit to the high side... especially when it is hot. Yes the tire is made to withstand any increase in pressure due to the heat of the day, the hot road surface, and from driving.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Tire Pressure Q
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.