Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New TT Tires

Deano_1
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone,

Picking up a new to us, 2017 Airstream 28 RB. Tires on the TT are original and they have agreed to pay half for 4 new tires. They’re suggesting Goodyear Endurance tires for about $212 each.I’ve used Goodyear Marathons before without any issues, but they no longer make them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
27 REPLIES 27

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Having access to shop machinery we ran some trailer wheels on a big engine lathe. Ran four 14" and two 15" and a set of 16" for my tri axle flatbed.
All were new still in the shipping box. The bead seat flanges on all the wheels were way out of radial and lateral specs for automotive wheels.

Several reasons a savvy tire shop doesn't recommend balancing a tire on a trailer.
My neighbor had his 38' GN triaxle horse trailer tires balanced. The tires had no weights from the factory so not familiar with trailers he thought they should be.... and dropped by a tire shop and had them balanced using a lug adapter.
The trailer shook his F350 drw crew cab long bed all the way home. He dropped by my place and said no shaking before but only after balancing. I found three wheels that had two 4" long weights next to each other.
He decided to remove them. He got his smooth ride back and learned a lesson.
Cheap tires...no as these were LT235/85-16 E Michelin XPS Ribs on 6k axles.
Those 26-28" long trailer springs act as a huge damper.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Terryallan wrote:
agree. The tire shop I bought mine from had at one time this little know it all working for them, and said he would not balance my tires. I told him, and the owner if they wanted to sell them to me. they would balance them. And yes. you can tell the difference.

I bought a flatbed car hauler trailer back in about 2007 or 2008. I tried to get the tires and wheels balanced. The tires were so badly out of balanced, I could feel it through the hitch when towing the trailer empty. The tires were so badly out of round, the tire shop said they couldn't be balanced.
I took all 4 tires and wheels back to the trailer dealer and said I want these replaced. They reluctantly replaced them and made the claim that "trailer tires don't need to be balanced". I told him they were so bad, I could feel the vibration through the truck hitch.

Here's a video of another trailer I bought which shows how badly out of round trailer tires can be.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
What size/make o tires are on it now? Also, you can go to Discount Tire's website and use their "Found it Cheaper" option - I sent them the link to GY Endurance tires on Tire Rack, and they met the price.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Deano_1
Explorer
Explorer
The dealer came way down on the price for the Endurance. Should have them stalled later this week.

Thanks!

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maxxis tires worked well for me in the years we had pop-up campers and then travel trailers. The last set I bought were for our Winnebago Minnie trailer and I think I put them on the trailer in 2015.

The only trailer tire I ever had a problem with was a Goodyear Marathon and I replaced them with a set of Maxxis tires. That was back when we had a Sunline TT.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huntindog wrote:
deltabravo wrote:
Deano_1 wrote:
Goodyear Endurance tires for about $212 each.I’ve used Goodyear Marathons before without any issues, but they no longer make them.

Endurance replace the Marathons.

I run Endurance on two trailers. Northwood and ORV install Endurance at their factories.

I have no issue recommending Endurance.
Just be sure to get all metal valve stems and also have the tires balanced.
No trailers come from the factory with the tires balanced. The manufacturers and many others do not think it is of benefit in a solid axle. I will not enter into that debate here and now. If you choose to have it done, be sure that they use a lug plate to do it. This because most trailer wheels are lug centric, not hub centric. Using the hubcentric method on such a rim is a waste of time and money and could even make the out of balance worse.
Tire shops hate to do it as it takes more time, and a lot of them do not have the lug plates. I have witnessed several times shops not doing when I had requested it. Ask for it, and watch them to make sure they do it.

agree. The tire shop I bought mine from had at one time this little know it all working for them, and said he would not balance my tires. I told him, and the owner if they wanted to sell them to me. they would balance them. So they did, and the little smart elic doesn't work there any more. And yes. you can tell the difference.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vintage465 wrote:
I would limit my choices to Goodyear Endurance or Maxxis. Maxxis is the only tire from China I would have any confidence in. Maxxis owns their own factory in China and they have their own people managing from inspection to production and quality control. At the time of my reading an article in Trailer Life magazine, Maxxis was the only Chinese tire able to boast this as all other Chinese tires were contracted and stamped with a brand............that was at the time I read the article 4-6 years ago. But I'd still go with Goodyear if possible. And yes, Endurance replaced Marathons.

In truth the Maxxis I bought are not from China. Some are actually made here. But most are made in Thailand. They do not have the bad reputation China has. and as of this time. Maxxis does have the best reputation in the ST tire industry.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Deano, congratulations on the Airstream. You are going to like it.
The Marathons proved to be poor tires, hence Goodyear came out with the improved Endurance. If you liked your Marathons, you will like the Endurance. I purchased my used Airstream in 2009 and promptly replaced the tires with Maxxis. I was pleased with them and when it came time for new tires I went with the Carlsile Radial Trail HD that my local Discount Tire shop was selling. I also went with LRE which was a bit of an overkill for me. They will take 80PSI I believe but I run mine at 70. They are now 5 years old and I have put over 25,000 miles on them without issue. The tread still looks great but I will replace this set next spring anyway. I do have one tire that is showing some wear on the outer edge but that is an axle issue and not a bad tire.
The reason I went to these is that the Maxxi at the time was quite a bit more expensive. I think I paid all of $100 per tire back then. Don't really have a clue as to prices today.
This might be an option for you.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
Tires should always be balanced, period. A good shop can dynamically balance the tires.

The reason it isn't always recommended is from a comfort standpoint. The vibrations from an unbalanced tire aren't really felt in the TV unless they're really out. However, an unbalanced tire causes premature, uneven wear and excessive heat.

Tires appear to be a common failure point, but it's the weight, TT suspensions and lack of maintenance that contribute to these failures.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have 40,000 miles on my Endurance tires. So far, and so good. 😉
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Another thing to consider doing is a wheel bearing service. I do that on any trailer I purchase.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
The point of going with all metal valve stems is the rigidity factor when using a TPMS sensor.
If you don't have a trailer TPMS system yet, get one!

My choice for all metal valve stems.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would limit my choices to Goodyear Endurance or Maxxis. Maxxis is the only tire from China I would have any confidence in. Maxxis owns their own factory in China and they have their own people managing from inspection to production and quality control. At the time of my reading an article in Trailer Life magazine, Maxxis was the only Chinese tire able to boast this as all other Chinese tires were contracted and stamped with a brand............that was at the time I read the article 4-6 years ago. But I'd still go with Goodyear if possible. And yes, Endurance replaced Marathons.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Go with the Endurance.