Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Battery box delete?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Battery box delete?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
SoonDockin

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/21 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moving to lithium batteries finding space is a challenge. By removing my battery box, I can easily fit more batteries. Its under the kitchen cabinet which is full of all things power related. Its going to need to be cut up as there is no way to get it out in one piece.

I know resale will come up but I will be doing everything in a professional manner and doubt it would make it hard to sell. Honestly I got a real good deal on it and doubt I would care if it took a loss or made a bundle when (or if) I sell it.

2019 Ford F450 KR
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/21 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you do a good installation, I don’t know why it would be a resale issue. But, you could always just leave the batteries in the bed and connect them with large battery cables.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/21 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where in the camper is your battery box?
On my camper the box is behind rear axle and would I be forced to do anything, I would move it to front of the bed to start with.
Big campers do have lot of issues with COG being too far back.

SoonDockin

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/21 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really want the camper self contained. So batteries need to stay in it. On my 1140 Arctic Fox its on the drivers side right after the water heater but in front of the center of gravity. Another reason I am trying to keep the batteries in the same place. The kitchen sink is right over the water heater and between it and the front wall is where the transfer switch, jack control, trailer plug entry and a bunch of other wires. Its quite busy under that sink/counter.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/21 09:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would remove the box.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/21 10:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd also like more than two batteries in my AF 992, but even with the battery box gone, there's no room to put more batteries.

In the 992, everything is jammed in tight under the kitchen sink and stove which is evident in this video from when I was installing the inverter, shunt and Battleborns.

I ended up installing one of those new Onan Quiet gens since it didn't get used where it was intended, rather than fretting over wanting more battery capacity.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Bradymydog

Western MA

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/21 04:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my Bigfoot, I installed 2 Battleborn Batteries, I removed the battery box as it was vented to the outside. I replaced the external access cover with a waterproof, insulated cover and now the batteries are inside the conditioned space. There is also a heat duct adjacent to the batteries to keep them toasty. The batteries are partially under the sink so I installed a large plexiglass shield above them and used automotive firewall boots to run the new battery cables through. All switches, main fuse, breakers,
etc, are also protected via plexiglass should a water leak develop and to prevent accidental contact. I'd also like to add 1 or 2 more batteries but do not have the space inside with sacrificing more storage space.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/21 05:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would have no concern about this. I removed the sliding tray in my battery box so I could install larger batteries. If it was feasible to increase the size of the space, I would do that also.

SoonDockin

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/21 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will be going after it with my Multitool shortly. Boy if I could replace the hot water tank with a smaller on demand unit, I would have even more space. I still have to fit the inverter and other necessary bits. Looks like I have a project on my hands.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/21 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoonDockin wrote:

I still have to fit the inverter and other necessary bits. Looks like I have a project on my hands.

A lot of us in the Arctic Fox FB group install the inverter under the oven like I did.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Battery box delete?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.